Phantis Forums

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia

Dutch Eagle

22 hours ago, J1078 said:

Honestly its so tough watching this tournament without Greece, just feeling those butterflies and all that excitements when they're in these tournaments.. I guess I don't really care who wins it but i tend to always go for the underdog in most matches..

Yeah I feel the same way. I don't even want to talk about the world cup only because Greece is not in it. Did we really deserve to not make it? Against Croatia 1st leg we got destroyed. But in the 2nd leg they couldnt do anything. It makes me wonder what if Manolas was available in the 1st leg? what would the outcome be? And would we be in the world cup right now? These are the questions I ask myself.

• Like it 2

17 minutes ago, Dean97 said:

Yeah I feel the same way. I don't even want to talk about the world cup only because Greece is not in it. Did we really deserve to not make it? Against Croatia 1st leg we got destroyed. But in the 2nd leg they couldnt do anything. It makes me wonder what if Manolas was available in the 1st leg? what would the outcome be? And would we be in the world cup right now? These are the questions I ask myself.

I agree that it could have been a different series if Manolas got to play.

26 minutes ago, Jimmyp said:

You really think that Croatia was interested in scoring more in the second leg? They new Greece wasn’t going to score 3 even if they played for a week.

They did have chances but Manolas and Sokratis did play very well. 

FIFA decision to suspend Manolas a week before the 1st leg with Croatia was scandalous! If he plays in that game I think it's a draw or at worst we lose 1-2 but we are still in the tie. Never would see that same punishment given to Modric or Racatic.  

5 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

FIFA decision to suspend Manolas a week before the 1st leg with Croatia was scandalous! If he plays in that game I think it's a draw or at worst we lose 1-2 but we are still in the tie. Never would see that same punishment given to Modric or Racatic.  

I've always thought there was some sort of conspiracy against Greece. I feel like other countries are jealous of Greece because of the history, culture and achievements. Does anyone feel the same? I don't think I'm the only one. 

I'm not blaming FIFA for our loss but I can't help but feel that other countries have it in for us. 

Edited by Dean97

I don't think anyone has it out for us specifically, it's just that might makes right, big teams always get the benefit of the doubt or any small advantage/favor.

Back on topic, I'll be rooting for Mexico, Peru and Uruguay.

10 hours ago, Dean97 said:

I've always thought there was some sort of conspiracy against Greece. I feel like other countries are jealous of Greece because of the history, culture and achievements. Does anyone feel the same? I don't think I'm the only one. 

I'm not blaming FIFA for our loss but I can't help but feel that other countries have it in for us. 

yeah I agree that there is a jealousy. For example a lot of Germans / Western Europeans try to say that we are Turkish. Look at the Serbs who have been part of Ottoman Empire too. Do they get accused of that? No because they aren't seen as much of a threat.

Or Spain who was under arab conquest for twice as long 800 years to our 400.

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, La Mendel said:

Fun fact: Greeks are Greeks while Serbs are in fact slavicized Turks.

Ill be rooting for Portugal I think.

you're kidding right? besides the Bosniaks, I don't think is true.

Edited by georgelaz

On 5/31/2018 at 11:51 PM, georgelaz said:

you're kidding right? besides the Bosniaks, I don't think is true.

Serbia was invaded by the Turkish army in the fifteenth century I think. They remained there for a couple of centuries. I cant think there is a lot of people who are ethnologically Serbians.

2 hours ago, La Mendel said:

Serbia was invaded by the Turkish army in the fifteenth century I think. They remained there for a couple of centuries. I cant think there is a lot of people who are ethnologically Serbians.

wouldn't make sense still. they most likely wouldn't be speaking slavic language and stay orthodox christian if they were turks. christians were taxed up the ass in the ottoman empire. to have a turk become slavic seems extremely illogical and unlikely. the exception being Bosniaks and those guys were and remained muslims and converted some people to it as well.

My prediction

SF1: Brazil v France

SF2: Argentina v England

Final: Brazil v Argentina

Winner: Brazil

I think if it were to happen and we see a Brazil v Argentina final, you have a Brazil team that would want to put their 7-1 loss to Germany to bed and no better way than to win the WC up against Leo Messi who has done it all except win a WC. Would be intriguing.

Both countries have amazing, passionate fans. Would be something. I have been fortunate to go to two World Cups and I saw Brazil v Australia in 2006 and Greece v Argentina in 2010 in South Africa. The atmosphere these 2 countries create is something cannot be described. The 2010 match vs Greece, the stadium was bouncing. Amazing.

I would be rooting for Argentina (underdogs).

(final ?
ROUND 1

pORTUGAL    SPAIN
FRANCE        ARGENTINA    

BRAZIL         GERMANY    
BELGIUM        ENGLAND

ROUND 2

FRANCE        SPAIN
BRAZIL        ENGLAND

FINAL

BRAZIL - SPAIN

WINNERS = SPAIN

You'd have to say the usual suspects. Germany, Spain, Brazil. 

Would love to see Argentina go one better than 4 years ago so Messi can finally have god like status in his home country for those select few that claim he'll never be as good as Maradona until he delivers silverware to the National team. 

I feel if Portugal can get out of the group they'll be a threat. As we saw 2 years ago at the Euros and from his time with the ethniki, Santos style suits knock out football. With Ronaldo and others on the counter they could cause some problems and potentially go deep. 
Although on paper Morocco and Iran aren't household names, they are tricky opponents. Most of Morocco's squad play their club football in Europe; Spain, Italy, Turkey, Germany and Holland. 
So not sold that Portuguese will be coming through the group so comfortably. 

• Like it 1

• Lazarus pinned and featured this topic
  • Lazarus unfeatured this topic
  • Lazarus unpinned this topic