Phantis Forums

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia

Dutch Eagle

Brazil became the first country to qualify for this event after their 3-0 win over Paraguay. Uruguay and Argentina could go in front of them if they win everything and Brazil loses everything, but as they will face eachother one of them will fail to qualify directly (#5 will play a play-off).

• Lazarus changed the title to 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia
  • 2 months later...

Iran became the second country to qualify for the 2018 WC. They beated Uzbekistan 2-0 today and will therefore always finish in the top 2 of their group.

It's the fifth time Iran succeded to qualify for the WC.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No Greece and no "usual suspects" like Italy, USA and The Netherlands. But if you are still interested:  

Draw is on December 1st at the Kremlin. Pots by strength according to the FIFA-ranking, but countries from the same confederation can not be drawn in the same group. This excepts Europe where countries can be drawn in the same group but with a maximum of 2 European countries.

Here are the pots with the FIFA-ranking behind each country: 

Pot 1: Russia (host, 65) , Germany (1), Brazil (2), Portugal (3), Argentina (4), Belgium (5), Poland (6), France (7).

Pot 2: Spain (8), Peru (10), Switzerland (11), England (12), Colombia (13), Mexico (16), Uruguay (17), Croatia (18).

Pot 3: Denmark (19), Iceland (21), Costa Rica (22), Sweden (25), Tunisia (28), Egypt (30), Senegal (32), Iran (34).

Pot 4: Serbia (38), Nigeria (41), Australia (43), Japan (44), Morocco (48), Panama (49), South Korea (62), Saudi Arabia (63).

• 2 weeks later...

Worl Cup draw was held in Moscow today. Here are the groups:

• Group A: Russia, Uruguay, Egypt, Saudi Arabia

• Group B: Portugal, Spain, Iran, Morocco

• Group C: France, Peru, Denmark, Australia

• Group D: Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria

• Group E: Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia

• Group F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea

• Group G: Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama

• Group H: Poland, Colombia, Senegal, Japan

Groups B and F seem to be the so called "Groups of Death"

Here is the schedule:

14 Ιουνίου

Ρωσία – Σαουδική Αραβία (Λουζνίκι, Μόσχα)

15 Ιουνίου

Αίγυπτος – Ουρουγουάη (Σεντράλ, Γιεκατερίνενμπουργκ)
Μαρόκο – Ιράν (Κρεστόβσκι, Αγία Πετρούπολη)
Πορτογαλία – Ισπανία (Φιστ, Σότσι)

16 Ιουνίου

Γαλλία – Αυστραλία (Καζάν Αρένα, Καζάν)
Περού – Δανία (Μορντόβια Αρένα, Σαράνσκ)
Αργεντινή – Ισλανδία (Ατκρίτιε Αρένα, Μόσχα)
Κροατία – Νιγηρία (Καλίνινγκραντ Στέντιουμ, Καλίνινγκραντ)

17 Ιουνίου

Κόστα Ρίκα – Σερβία (Κόσμος Αρένα, Σαμάρα)
Βραζιλία – Ελβετία (Ροστόβ Αρένα, Ροστόβ)
Γερμανία – Μεξικό (Λουζνίκι, Μόσχα)

18 Ιουνίου

Σουηδία – Ν. Κορέα (Νίζνι Νόβγκοροντ Στέιντιουμ, Νίζνι Νόβγκοροντ)
Βέλγιο – Παναμάς (Φιστ, Σότσι)
Τυνησία – Αγγλία (Βολγκογκράντ Αρένα)

19 Ιουνίου

Ρωσία – Αίγυπτος (Κρεστόβσκι, Αγία Πετρούπολη)
Πολωνία – Σενεγάλη (Ακτρίτιε Αρένα, Μόσχα)
Κολομβία – Ιαπωνία (Μορντόβια Αρένα, Σαράνσκ)

20 Ιουνίου

Ουρουγουάη – Σαουδική Αραβία (Ροστόβ Αρένα, Ροστόβ)
Πορτογαλία – Μαρόκο (Λουζνίκι, Μόσχα)
Ιράν – Ισπανία (Καζάν Αρένα, Καζάν)

21 Ιουνίου

Γαλλία – Περού (Σεντράλ, Γιεκατερίνενμπουργκ)
Δανία – Αυστραλία (Κόσμος Αρένα, Σαμάρα)
Αργεντινή – Κροατία (Νίζνι Νόβγκοροντ Στέιντιουμ, Νίζνι Νόβγκοροντ)

22 Ιουνίου

Νιγηρία – Ισλανδία (Βολγκογκράντ Αρένα, Βολγκογκράντ)
Βραζιλία – Κόστα Ρίκα (Κρεστόβσκι, Αγία Πετρούπολη)
Σερβία – Ελβετία (Καλίνινγκραντ Στέιντιουμ, Καλίνινγκραντ)

23 Ιουνίου

Γερμανία – Σουηδία (Φιστ, Σότσι)
Ν. Κορέα – Μεξικό (Ροστόβ Αρένα, Ροστόβ)
Βέλγιο – Τυνησία (Ατκρίτιε Αρένα, Μόσχα)

24 Ιουνίου

Αγγλία – Παναμάς (Νίζνι Νόβγκοροντ Στέιντιουμ, Νίζνι Νόβγκοροντ)
Ιαπωνία – Σενεγάλη (Σεντράλ, Γιεκατερίνενμπουργκ)
Πολωνία – Κολομβία (Καζάν Αρένα, Καζάν)

25 Ιουνίου

Ουρουγουάη – Ρωσία (Κόσμος Αρένα, Σαμάρ)
Σαουδική Αραβία – Αίγυπτος (Βολγκογκράντ Αρένα, Βολγκογκράντ)
Ιράν – Πορτογαλία (Μορντόβια Αρένα, Σαράνσκ)
Ισπανία – Μαρόκο (Καλίνινγκραντ Στέιντιουμ, Καλίνινγκραντ)

26 Ιουνίου

Δανία – Γαλλία (Λουζνίκι, Μόσχα)
Αυστραλία – Περού (Φιστ, Σότσι)
Νιγηρία – Αργεντινή (Κρεστόβσκι, Αγία Πετρούπολη)
Ισλανδία – Κροατία (Ροστόβ Αρένα, Ροστόβ)

27 Ιουνίου

Σερβία – Βραζιλία (Ατκρίτιε Αρένα, Μόσχα)
Ελβετία – Κόστα Ρίκα (Νίζνι Νόβγκοροντ Στέιντιουμ, Νίζνι Νόβγκοροντ)
Ν. Κορέα – Γερμανία (Καζάν Αρένα, Καζάν)
Μεξικό – Σουηδία (Σεντράλ, Γιεκατερίνενμπουργκ)

28 Ιουνίου

Αγγλία – Βέλγιο (Καλίνινγκραντ Στέιντιουμ, Καλίνινγκραντ)
Παναμάς – Τυνησία (Μορντόβια Αρένα, Σαράνσκ)
Ιαπωνία – Πολωνία (Βολγκογκράντ Αρένα, Βολγκογκράντ)
Σενεγάλη – Κολομβία (Κόσμος Αρένα, Σαμάρα)

Νοκ άουτ

Φάση «16»

30 Ιουνίου – 3 Ιουλίου (Σότσι, Καζάν, Σαμάρα, Ροστόβ, Μόσχα, Νίζνι Νόβγκοροντ, Αγία Πετρούπολη)

Προημιτελικά 6-7 Ιουλίου (Νίζνι Νόβγκοροντ, Καζάν, Σότσι, Σαμάρα)
Ημιτελικά 10-11 Ιουλίου (Αγία Πετρούπολη, Μόσχα)
Μικρός τελικός 14 Ιουλίου (Αγία Πετρούπολη)
Τελικός 15 Ιουλίου (Μόσχα)

• 5 months later...

Since Greece is eliminated, who are you rooting for World Cup?

For me It's Serbia cause I have many Serb friends and have a bit of ancestry from there. Also a huge majority of their players play/played in the superleague. 

They're not real contenders though of course ?

Not to mention they're one of the few or only balkan countries that's always been a friend and never a foe.

Edited by georgelaz

It will be tough to watch without Greece there, that’s for sure. I will pull for Serbia and Russia our Orthodox brothers. Serbia have improved and done well in there qualification. I would root for Spain & Belgium. One thing that’s a given is that England will be out early , had they not been handed an easy draw they would have been out at the group stage.

• Like it 1

I hope Argentina do well. They have a lot of attacking talent. I also like Serbia's team. They look good. Hopefully they can go far. I hope Germany don't win it. Only because teams like Brazil and Argentina play better football. I might be surprising if Portugal win. Ronaldo would have done it all.

Honestly its so tough watching this tournament without Greece, just feeling those butterflies and all that excitements when they're in these tournaments.. I guess I don't really care who wins it but i tend to always go for the underdog in most matches..

25 minutes ago, J1078 said:

Honestly its so tough watching this tournament without Greece, just feeling those butterflies and all that excitements when they're in these tournaments.. I guess I don't really care who wins it but i tend to always go for the underdog in most matches..

join the serbia bandwagon then bro lol.

• Like it 2

46 minutes ago, J1078 said:

It sucks that we could not qualify. I played tonight and had to listen to teammates and opponent's talking after the game about there countries that are in the World Cup like Poland, Germany, Russia even Morroco and Iran. What makes it even worse is Greece missed the last Euro and now we have not seen our country play in a tournament since WCUP 2014, now we have to wait until 2020 and the way were going who knows. Just frustrating.

• Like it 1

15 hours ago, Ellada2004 said:

It sucks that we could not qualify. I played tonight and had to listen to teammates and opponent's talking after the game about there countries that are in the World Cup like Poland, Germany, Russia even Morroco and Iran. What makes it even worse is Greece missed the last Euro and now we have not seen our country play in a tournament since WCUP 2014, now we have to wait until 2020 and the way were going who knows. Just frustrating.

Missing the last 2 tournaments means that some of best players of this generation have missed out on the world stage in their prime. Sokratis being the best example and even Manolas will only get a chance of playing in the Euro at 28. Very sad. 

• Like it 1

• Lazarus featured this topic
  • Lazarus pinned and featured this topic
  • Lazarus unfeatured this topic
  • Lazarus unpinned this topic