Phantis Forums

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia

Dutch Eagle

Both definitely have squads capable of having a run. I feel Belgium are probably a more well rounded squad, with question marks still over Croatia's defence. 

Belgium have stumbled at the quarter final stage in the last two major tournaments. I think the experience they have obtained from the World Cup '14 and the Euros 2 years ago will hold them in good stead heading into Russia.

• Lazarus pinned and featured this topic

Russia just crushed the Saudis 5-0. A couple brilliant goals.. Saudis are absolute crap. I expect to see similar results when Belgium play Panama and Tunisia. I cant believe how many awful footballing Nations are in this particular WCUP. 

Russia didn’t hold the ball all that well at times but they were good on the counter and had some nice passing and beautiful crosses in on the headed goals. Saudis were struggling defensively and could barely complete an easy pass from defender to defender. It was the worst opening day performance I have ever seen since watching from 1986 World Cup.

17 minutes ago, AchillesHeel said:

Yeah and in 2026 its going from 32 to 48 countries competing....I was hoping that it will mean more quality team qualifying but unfortunately what it means is that it will just be even more diluted talent-wise than ever. I don't understand how the concacaf  division can have as many teams as the conmebol going to the WC...or that the AFC and the CAF will have 1 more country than UEFA....totally ridiculous.

Russia played pretty well as a team (team play has always been their weakspot) in their opening game....I think there was a big difference in quality between the 2 sides that became more and more evident as the game progressed. I don't think the Saudis even had a shot on goal.

Agree with that a 100%. Having 48 teams will completely dilute the lustre of the World Cup. I saw CONCACAF will have 6 teams so will have to watch the likes of countries like Panama, Guatemala, Trinidad, El Salvador, Canada (who will probably be given automatic qualification) maybe get into the World Cup, yikes... The only positive is 3 more spots from Europe. Anyways the quality of the tournament will take a hit.

Amazing match, those are real World Cup sides unlike what we saw with Iran vs Morocco. I was going for Spain but Ronaldo is ridiculous. Messi is fabulous but this guy has vaulted ahead of him over the past few years. What a free kick goal!

and that's why I think Portugal could be a dark horse. If they manage to escape the group, Santos rarely losses games in 90 mins. Plenty of numbers behind the ball with the promise of extra time and penalties, he'll take his chances. 

• Like it 2

Probably the best half of the world cup (so far) just came to an end. Mexico leading Germany 1-0 at the half. Brilliant game, open, attacking, end to end stuff. Mexico's pace causing the Germans heaps of problems on the counter, with a little more composure in the final third, the Mexicans could have had another goal or two. Bring on the 2nd half!!

Edited by paokarag4
  • Like it 1

Columbia are my dark horses. They were robbed four years ago against Brazil in the Quarter Finals, with some very biased reffing. 

What do people think of the new VAR system?

Personally I think its the way to go, but I think each team (probably this decision should be the Managers) should be able to make a number of Challenges so they can make the ref check the VAR, similar to Tennis.

As currently I've seen games where the ref has chose to not check it and its been a blatantly controversial event that's happened. 

It still has some kinks that need ironing out. The thing with football, there are so many decisions that are objective. Case in point, the penalty given against Australia the other night via VAR. IMO it was penalty, but the footballing world is divided on it. Handballs in the box are another one that is objective, I've seen some refs with no tolerance ball hits your hand pen, straight away. Others are more logical and give the benefit of the doubt to the defender.  

The rules probably need to be made more black and white in order for it to truly be successful and there to be no controversy. But then again you could argue that these grey areas is part of what makes the sport so exciting. 

Not a fan of VAR, I’ve seen it not in a few codes of team sports and it’s a real killer to a game.

As someone mentioned the refs call adds to the excitement, it always did, we would cheer & moan it but it was the game, now you have debates on VAR, it’s inconsistencies, the calls themselves, stoppage of play, players spiking to refs to check... just don’t like it but it’s here to stay so this is sport in the +’10’s

Russia sent Egypt packing. 8 goals in two games they are playing attractive attacking football making most the media eat humble pie. As someone posted Portugal with Ronaldo in super form and Santos at the helm can take them to the semis. I think in the end Spain will be in the finals. Germany were so bad defensively vs Mexico but I expect them to get there act together. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now