Phantis Forums

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia

Dutch Eagle

9 hours ago, Alphonse said:

Please stop with that stuff man.

I take it you are talking to me? How about you 'stop it with that stuff'

Regarding our team, as bad as we were, we have a better squad than i think about 1/3 of the qualified teams if not more.

I too fear the Croatians having had 2 consecutive 120 mins game in a 6 day period. I just have a feeling England will get it done. 
If they make the final I'm thinking the momentum they have behind them is going to be too much and they are going to win the whole thing, which is crazy to think is so close to happening. 

I hope Croatia nip this in the bud and take care of them, on the other hand if the Croats make it through I feel the French win it easily

I expected France to get it done today but I thought Belgium would have been sharper. Hazard was great but Lukaku was off his game and De Bruyne had an average game. France has been efficient taking out Uruguay & Belgium after a thriller vs Argentina. I still think they will take it up a notch in the final and look out they could win easily as they did when they beat Brazil for there first title. Defensively they have been solid with Varane and Umtiti locking down the back. 

Yia sou England! 1966 & counting... Croatia’s midfield of modric, Rakitic and peresic completely dominated them. Harry Kane the over hyped forward misses from 5 yards out. England were lucky to get to semis with the draw they had in the group and Columbia minus Rodriquez and then Sweden.

28 minutes ago, AchillesHeel said:

What a game by Croatia....they looked like they had ran out of gas in the 1st half but came storming back in the 2nd to tie it and then win it in the 2nd half of extra time....holding England to just 2 shots on goal in 120 min of play. Croatia fully deserving of being in the final. Their combination of skill, determination and experience proved too much for England who, to me, looked like your average England side....over-hyped and underwhelming, who made it to the semis by sheer good luck. France is definitely the favorite but they will have their hands full against Croatia in the final.

Well said overhyped.. English media here was going on and on how modric and company would be exhausted? They just ran them off the pitch in the final 50 minutes.

Very admirable by Croatia. For a country their size they are punching above their weight. It comes as no surprise with the talent and experience they possess with their star players playing for the best club teams in the world and well known for nurturing the best talent through the youth systems. As a footballing nation they’ve never been pushovers but rather consistent since their inaugural tournament at euro96. I hope they take out the cup but regardless they’ve made a statement towards their successful football pedigree which can only be admired and respected.

It makes you wonder how they produce so many good footballers with a smaller population and weaker league system than Greece

I know this topic has been beaten to death already many times but we really lack a youth academy and grass roots development system in our country.

• Like it 1

Greece weren’t as bad overall against Croatia other than the first leg of the playoffs. We’re not far off where a decent team we just need to fix up our midfield and get rid of the old σειρά and blood in youth. It all starts with the domestic league we need to blood in as many Greek talents as we can and forget about investing a lot of money on foreigners. Since the εθνική has been going through a revamp why not try something different.

Edited by Erythroleukos

^^^^^

Somehow I don't think Greece would have displayed the same form as Croatia.... not even 10% of it.

I think Croatia deserved to be there. And, against England, they were stunned and lacked confidence in the first few 20 minutes, but then they hit England hard and had better chances over all.  Greece would have stayed back, behind a bus, hoping to get lucky on a rare counter or through penalties.

The semifinal game was one of the better ones this WC.  I'm looking forward Croatia playing France.

Sorry to say this about the Greek team--they play crappy football, the type you'd have to pay me to watch if I wasn't supporting the team.

• Like it 1

On 7/11/2018 at 9:50 PM, paokara777 said:

It makes you wonder how they produce so many good footballers with a smaller population and weaker league system than Greece

I know this topic has been beaten to death already many times but we really lack a youth academy and grass roots development system in our country.

Croatia, Uruguay, Portugal, the Scandinavian countries, etc, all produce very good teams with populations equal or lot less than Greece.

As in many other cases, the internal culture maters a lot. The Greek league--run by Greeks 100%--has been a disaster. And, if it weren't for king Otto, Greece wouldn't have won the 2004 Euro

I think this highlights again how incredible euro 2004 was, all good and well making semis or the final but closing the deal and actually lifting the trophy is a whole new ball game, Croatia played great all tournament but wasn’t enough and the score line of the final probably didn’t do them justice.

anyhow obviously they have a much better team than us but if Manolas wasn’t disgraceful suspended by FIFA I’m confident we don’t get blown out in leg 1 and that playoff against Croatia would have been very close.

Edited by Greekoz
  • Like it 2

10 hours ago, Greekoz said:

I think this highlights again how incredible euro 2004 was, all good and well making semis or the final but closing the deal and actually lifting the trophy is a whole new ball game, Croatia played great all tournament but wasn’t enough and the score line of the final probably didn’t do them justice.

anyhow obviously they have a much better team than us but if Manolas wasn’t disgraceful suspended by FIFA I’m confident we don’t get blown out in leg 1 and that playoff against Croatia would have been very close.

Yes overcoming the Czechs was the most difficult game the biggest test and getting through the first 30 minutes when they were dominating the play and the chances was huge. When Greece beat them I knew we would beat Portugal, but your right getting your hands on the trophy is a once in a lifetime opportunity and Croatia had a chance to get a star etched on there NT jersey and I don’t think they will have that opportunity again. I give them credit for a great tournament run and the resiliency they displayed.