Phantis Forums

Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)

slick13

A more benign spin might go like this: being without a club and recovering from  a serious back injury,  joining the NASL for 20 games and playing in obscure Oklahoma was the perfect way to quietly get back to match fitness. Not sure I believe it, but there may be elements of truth to this.

• Like it 1

I wish him the best. He played well for the NT when he was with us. Above and beyond that the guy is a solid guy and cares about the less fortunate especially children. Good luck to him. Regardless of how well he plays I don't think we'll ever see him on the NT again.

9 hours ago, ProudHellene said:

DELETED

you aint fooling anyone with your complexes old guy.
i ain't at the marriage age by the way.
But if you really are married and frankly at an age to be so, act like it. Stop texting weird messages to people you don't even know.

Jee, I just don't wanna reach your age and get goofed by 20 year olds on football forums. That would be a personal disgrace for me.

Edited by athinaios
don't repeat offensive posts

Samaras just has trouble keeping track of dates.  He woke up and realized it's 2017 and that the World Cup is on next year!  And thought to himself, oh s--t, I better get ready for that otherwise I won't be there!

As to the state of his injury, and if he's still "got it", we'll find out soon enough.

• Like it 1

I think people are a little to hard on Samaras, he has just recovered from a serious back injury, which meant most big clubs wouldn't touch him with a barge pole, whilst injured. He has achieved a lot for the national team, and if he can show that again i'm sure he'd be welcomed back with open arms. 

Good luck to him! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

SAMARAS AND SIFAKIS CONTINUE IN SECOND DIVISION TURKEY

Two former Greek internationals Michalis Sifakis and Georgios Samaras will continue their careers in Turkey for Samsunspor.

Over the weekend, Michalis Sifakis and Georgios Samaras made their move to Turkey official after signing new deals with Samsunspor, a club that competes in the Turkish second division. The two players, who have both played for Greece’s national team, are in the later stages of their career and will look to help their new club gain promotion to the Turkish Super Lig.

Sifakis is coming off a two year spell in Belgium with Kortrijk while Georgios Samaras finished a short stay in the Spanish second division with Real Zaragoza.

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to imagine that he could't get a deal with a first division Greek club or at least his hometown club OFI Crete who play second division. He is only 32 and one of the biggest names in Greece post-Euro 2004 and would be a great signing for any Greek club from a marketing standpoint. This is surely an issue of money for the most part. Turkish teams pay and he is at the end of his career. Although I do faintly remember reading that he said in an interview that he never wants to play football in Greece due to how corrupt it is.  

Edited by Argy

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, La Mendel said:

Btw the title should be Giorgos Samaras - Samsunspor.

You are right, La Mendel, but I have not seen the moderator of "Greek players abroad" around for a while on this forum. I also see a lot of other players without the change in the title.

@all: is there still a mod for this section? If not, shouldn't there be somebody appointed to keep this section updated?   

• Like it 1

• 1 month later...

Samaras' season as bad as before. He has played 7 games so far, and neither has scored nor has given an assist. Sifakis is a constant benchwarmer. (Cf. the accomplishments of these ex-internationals with the stats of great Andreas Tatos [Elazigspor]: 11 games, 3 goals, 2 assists.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2017 at 2:14 PM, Dean97 said:

I never understood why Tatos never played for the national team he is such a good player. Especially in his time with Aris in the superleague. 

wow I forgot about aris as a club. they gotta get back in the superleague. they were pretty good in the 2000s

• Argy changed the title to Giorgos Samaras ‒ (retired)
  • Argy locked this topic