Phantis Forums

Euro 2016 France

haydar

Some interesting facts:

I was reading earlier that this tournament was tracking to be the lowest scoring since the 1968 euros until the 3-3 between Hungary-Portugal.

Also Hungary and Wales are the highest scoring teams so far.

So in relation to our so-called "easiest group in history", who would have guessed that Hungary who finished 3rd in Greece's qualifying group would have topped their group? As we all know they were the only team to lose to Greece and had to win a playoff.

Also Northern Ireland although playing dire football still qualified out of their group albeit as a best 3rd place. Romania was Romania in this tournament. 2 goals. Both penalties. Exactly what they did to Greece in that first qualifier in September 2014.

Maybe the qualifying group wasn't so easy after all. No excuses for how the team performed as you don't lose to the Faroe Islands (twice) but the teams that went to the tournament were not easy beats that's for sure.

So we now know all the teams through to the Round of 16, but who do you think are the biggest dissapointments based on expectations and/or hype?

For me it's Portugal. They struggled so much against what looked like on paper to be a relatively easy group. They may well beat Croatia but not if they don't find something soon.

Also the following teams which I don't rate but so-called experts think are amazing got what they deserved:

Ukraine

Russia

Turkey

Sweden

Romania

Austria

Czech Republic

Edited by Akritis_1944

I'm speechless now I am...after tonight...goddd wait amorgos I got to give you a nice avatar...oh guys to top it off I put 5 Euro on Robbie Brady first goal 13/1...70 Euro I got lol not too bad...all's I can say is roleeeee on Sunday France is it ah thierry henry I have not forgotten you neither has the whole island ;) Hahahahaha Sunday we might get our revenge :P

• Like it 2

Austria was a massive let down considering how they blitzed their group, from memory I think they dropped 2 pts only, remind me of Serbia in 2010.

Croatia for me are an underdog, decent side and didn't really think much of them but they can play and being on the easier side of the group they may surprise a few of us.

Best thing about today is Albania and Turkey go home :)

Austria was a massive let down considering how they blitzed their group, from memory I think they dropped 2 pts only, remind me of Serbia in 2010.

Croatia for me are an underdog, decent side and didn't really think much of them but they can play and being on the easier side of the group they may surprise a few of us.

Best thing about today is Albania and Turkey go home :)

Wow, who woulda thought Hungary, Iceland and Northen Ireland would qualify. Even Wales and to a degree Ireland qualifying is a bit of an upset. But I guess thats what happens when you extend the tournament (In both Ireland's cases at least) Portugal lucky to squeak through. 

I read somewhere now the way the draw is, we are assured of at least one team making the final, who has never won the Euro. 
Can't wait for Italy-Spain

Biggest letdown for me was probably Russia, they should have been MUCH better. Sweden a close second.

For most people it would probably be Austria considering they were "dark horses," but I don't think they've ever been particularly impressive. It's pleased me to no end to see them fail.

Greek referee Sidiropoulos was 4th official in the Swiss Poland match.  

The Spaniard Velasco who sent off Socrati 4 years ago will get the Croatia Portugal match even after his awful

performance in the group stage.   They are saying it will be his farewell match as he is retiring.  Still i think he should

have been sent home.   Should be an interesting game to watch . 

Edited by Polikastano

I agree Nick about the outright hostility that Greece get. Topa oli mouggi!

I didn't watch the match but from what I've read it was a very cautious match. Where was the flair and attacking play from Croatia? I knew this was coming from them. They are all hype. World class midfield but the rest are all substandard.

Especially Mandzukic. Whomever is representing this clown is the best manager/agent in the business. We some times joke about Tziolis and Vydra having good managers but Mandzukic has played for Bayern, Atletico and now Juventus and he's worse than Klaus Athanasiadis.

• Like it 1