Phantis Forums

Euro 2016 France

haydar

What a shame that Croatia lost to Portugal. OK, not a good game but C outplayed P;  but the Portugese had one chance and came ontop. Santos has not changed P's national team for the better. I think it comes down to Ronaldo.... he's got a good day, the team has a better fortune.

I hope Poland goes through.

I loved Island (Iceland) beating those cocky English. The most expensive team with the most expensive coach did nothing but play like amateurs, while a tiny country with a tiny pool of players (tiny US state of Rhode Island has more soccer players than Iceland), played much better and had better scoring opportunities. I'd be very happy if Iceland did this June what Greece did 12 years ago.

Germany looks good though.

I think it will be a conservative, defensive match. I wouldn't be surprised if it went to penalties, but I give the edge to poland...they've outplayed Portugal this tournament, despite lewandowski not scoring a goal yet.

Predictions:

Poland, Belgium, Germany, and France to proceed to the semi finals

I must be underrating Poland, i think Portugal are favourites and it would be a surprise (not a shock) if Poland did go through. As any knock out match anything can happen, but I'd think the Portugese will be a little too strong for the Poles, despite being underwhelming until now 

• Like it 1

Comparing Greece's 2004 Euro and this Iceland adventure.

Both lost their last warm up game before starting the tournament, were never expected to get out of their respective Groups, didn't dominate possession, matches won by 1 goal, nice goals out of few chances, unknown players, played Portugal in the Group stage, all blue uniform, playing France in the 1/4 final. Still a chance to play Portugal in the final.

Very good penalty kicks by both teams, but Portuguese keeper got lucky by guessing the right side and giving Santos the qualification to the semifinal.

In 5 games Portugal has yet to win in a regular 90 minutes at these EURO.

• Like it 1

If Portugal can somehow keep this run going all the way to the title then they deserve it as far as I'm concerned, I've always said you can't fluke winning a major tournament, if that means they win a semi final and the final on penalties well that still proves they had the mental edge to get it done in pressure moments. I wouldn't begrudge them a euro, people that were there in 04 always say they were gracious in defeat and great hosts. Plus hardly any of them in Melbourne so I won't have to hear about it lol.

Don't want Germany or France winning it.

• Like it 1

i like how the format is now please never change! :)..i agree amorgos the old classic days of usa 94 italia 90..ahhh how can one say these competitions where not epic :D !!..speaking of... if there was no third place to qualify... then portugal would have been knocked out and look what they have done :O....imagine they win the euro's without winning a single game in the 90+ mins  :lol: ..........good old santos eh his teams are always hard to beat!!! :tup:

I dont think there is a problem with 24 teams, if anything its good for football, it gives teams who have never qualifed a chance to play on the big stage.

Sure the quality has decreased slightly but its not like every game from past Euros have been spectacular.

Albania were a joy to watch imo, the passion they showed was great, Iceland too, their magical story continues, I doubt they would have made it had it not been changed.

Maybe they could still stick with he top 2 qualifying instead of 3 however.

In regards to Portugal, they have yet to be tested by quality opposition, Croatia was probably the only quality side and they didnt even show up in the game.

A Germany or France would obliterate this Portugal side which is a shadow of its former teams, however I would still like them to win it for Santos & Ronaldo.

Im still rooting for Iceland to win it tho!

• Like it 1

Funny how some of you are saying Portugal shouldn't win, they don't deserve to be in the group stages, they are boring, etc etc.

WTF?? If that was Greece instead of Portugal you would be all so happy and " I don't care if we don't win a game in 90mins as long as we get to the final" lol

It doesn't matter how Portugal do it, they are doing it. It's like their 5th semis in 8 or 9 tries. I wish that was Greece.

I hope Portugal go all the way and win it. We as Greeks should be happy that the so called Low Countries are winning.

If Santos was still the coach of Greece we would have been at these Euros. And maybe that would have Greece not Portugal.

• Like it 2