Phantis Forums

Euro 2024 Group B - Gibraltar - Greece (24 Mar. 2023 21:45 EET, Estádio Algarve, Faro/Loulé (Portugal))

Dutch Eagle

First MD of this series. Nice to start against minnow Gibraltar in Portugal. 

Konstantelias is the new diamond and Gus said allready he will be included in the squad. 

Every MD one country will play a friendly or Nation League match. The other match this MD is France vs the Netherlands. MD 2 will be Greece's "day off".

• Like it 3

Even though this group is the group of death and chances of us qualifying are slim I really hope we can show progress and hold our own with the Netherlands and France. even the other teams  will pose a challenge. It's unfortunate we got this group but until we start climbing the FIFA rankings these are the types of groups we can expect. We know the Netherlands and France will most likely only drop points to each other and i fully expect them to sweep through the other teams and at worst maybe getting a draw against us or Ireland. As we've said before our best and probably only realistic chance to qualify is through the Nations League that's why we would also want Turkey to qualify directly to avoid them as they would be our toughest challenge. But for now lets start of strong and bury Gibraltar. 

• Like it 3

On 3/8/2023 at 1:38 AM, J1078 said:

Anyone have any idea when they will announce the players called up for the upcoming matches?

Propably the week before. I’m curious to see what everyone else would like the call ups to be. I want to see some new faces like Konstantelias and even Vagiannidis. I think Nikolaou should be given a shot to see what he’s like. Apparently Donis is doing well again. Always thought he could bring something.

I feel like this team needs new players. Apart from Mavropanos Tsimikas and Vlachodimos I’d like to see different players getting a chance. Especially in midfield. Try and test new players there. 

I’m not excited to see players like Bouchalakis, Kourbelis and Bakasetas starting. It’s time to move on from them in my opinion. I know we haven’t got a great amount of players playing in the top 5 leagues, but I’m keen to see new and especially young inform players given a proper shot.

• Like it 1

I'll walk down Matoyianni Street in Mykonos in all my glory, if Bakasetas doesn't play this match. Fortounis will get bench, we all know that.

Edited by ausgreek

Baldock deemed fit to play after missing training yesterday, he trained fully today. Bouchalakis and Ioannidis in doubt at this stage. 

Don't think we'll see anything out of the ordinary in terms of the eleven, would be nice to see Fortounis and Konstantelias starting on the wings given it will be a game where we will dominate the ball and need creativity to break down a parked bus. 

Don't think Poyet will start Konstantelias though, he's probably more likely to go Masouras or Pelkas. Pavlidis incredible form this season commands a starting spot for him, he'll be leading the line. 

• Like it 1

Bakesetas will be an automatic starter. I'm not saying i agree with this at all but to be honest the last campaign he produced for us regularly and was a big part why we won the Nations League. You can tell he has the Greek passion and he wants to win with the NT team. I need to give credit where credit is due. In saying that i would love to see fortounis in as I think he can become the main player that controls the game as his talent is miles ahead of players like Bakesetas and company and has the skill to really control the pace of the game and break down opposing defenses. Give Fortounis some capable wingers and a decent striker and i think the dynamic of this team drastically changes. Just my two cents. 

15 hours ago, paokarag4 said:

Baldock deemed fit to play after missing training yesterday, he trained fully today. Bouchalakis and Ioannidis in doubt at this stage. 

Don't think we'll see anything out of the ordinary in terms of the eleven, would be nice to see Fortounis and Konstantelias starting on the wings given it will be a game where we will dominate the ball and need creativity to break down a parked bus. 

Don't think Poyet will start Konstantelias though, he's probably more likely to go Masouras or Pelkas. Pavlidis incredible form this season commands a starting spot for him, he'll be leading the line. 

I agree i think Poyet will stick with what won him the nations league for the most part.

Bakasetas is the main outlet of goals being scored, and from outside the box. He has grown into his role. He is very durable, not injury prone either, like others. Undroppable at the moment. 

Kourbelis is out injured and will miss these games. 

Reports saying that 8-9 players are locked in to start, they are: Vlachodimos, Baldock, Mavropanos, Chatzidiakos, Tsimikas, Siopis, Bakasetas, Mantalos, Fortounis. Question marks are over whether Pavlidis/Giakoumakis starts and Konstantelias/Masouras on the wing. 

Bakasetas, Mantalos and Fortounis could be played in a few different positions, just depends on how Poyet wants to go about it. Either way I think that team is probably the best we can put out, and it should have enough attacking talent to score a few goals and record a routine victory.  

https://www.sport24.gr/football/ethniki-elladas-ta-dyo-senaria-sto-myalo-toy-poget-gia-tin-endekada-me-to-givraltar.9982928.html 

• Like it 3

Βλαχοδήμος,

Μπάλντοκ, Μαυροπάνος, Χατζηδιάκος, Τσιμίκας, Σιώπης, Μπακασέτας, Μάνταλος, Μασούρας, Πέλκας, Γιακουμάκης

GIBRALTAR

23 Coleing(GK)

12 Olivero

14 Chipolina(Captain)

4 Sergeant

11 Valarino

22 Torrilla

20 Britto

6 Lopes

17 Ronan

10 Walker

7 Casciaro

BENCH

1 Banda(GK)

13 Hankins(GK)

2 Jolley

3 Chipolina

5 Hartman

8 Pozo

9 Styche

15 Santos

16 Mouelhi

18 Hernandez

19 Yome

21 Coombes

Manager: Julio Ribas(URU)

• Like it 1

GREECE

1 Vlachodimos(GK)

21 Tsimikas

17 Hatzidiakos

4 Mavropanos

2 Baldock

20 Mantalos

11 Bakasetas(Captain)

23 Siopis

14 Pelkas

7 Masouras

8 Giakoumakis

BENCH

12 Paschalakis(GK)

13 Athanasiadis(GK)

3 Tzavellas

5 Rota

6 Retsos

9 Pavlidis

10 Fortounis

15 Papanikolaou

16 Chatzigiovanis

18 Limnios

19 Konstantelias

22 Giannoulis

Manager: Gustavo Poyet(URU)

20 minutes ago, kolokotronis99tripoli said:

Also Alexandropoulos deserves a start Ik he’s not a starter at sporting Lisbon but that’s still a champions league level club 

Alexandropoulos is on the B team for Sporting, not even on the bench.

• Like it 1