Phantis Forums

Euro 2024 Group B - Republic of Ireland - Greece (13 Oct. 2023 21:45 EET, Aviva Stadium, Dublin)

Dutch Eagle

• 3 weeks later...

Call-ups have been announced, Konstantelias is in. Other new faces compared to last month include: Galanopoulos, Dioudis and Saliakas.

Baldock is still out with the injury he sustained during the previous international break. Interesting to see if Saliakas gets the start over Rota at right back. 

Full squad

• Τερματοφύλακες: Βλαχοδήμος, Πασχαλάκης, Διούδης.
  • Αμυντικοί: Τσιμίκας, Μαυροπάνος, Χατζηδιάκος, Κουλιεράκης, Σάλιακας, Ρέτσος, Τζαβέλλας, Γιαννούλης, Ρότα.
  • Μέσοι: Μπακασέτας, Μπουχαλάκης, Κουρμπέλης, Αλεξανδρόπουλος, Χατζηγιοβάνης, Γαλανόπουλος, Μάνταλος, Σιώπης.
  • Επιθετικοί: Ιωαννίδης, Μασούρας, Πέλκας, Κωνσταντέλιας, Γιακουμάκης, Παυλίδης, Φούντας.
Edited by paokarag4

Tzavellas, Bouchalakis and Fountas should not be on his list. I don't see why he keeps calling them up. Fountas instead of Douvikas? I don't

get it and what is a 35 year old Tzavellas gonna offer? We have way better and younger than him. Call up Tzimas instead of Fountas and give

the kid some experience even if he doesn't play.

• Like it 1

Chatzidiakos ruled out of the 2 upcoming games with an injury. Retsos/Koulierakis in the running to take his spot, I don't give Tzavellas a realistic chance of starting but then again who knows. 

Considering Baldock was already ruled out pre-call ups, it's less than ideal to lose member of the back 4. Against Holland last month, we all remember what happened when we were without 2 of our starting back 4. 

A few players without match practice recently, since moving to Nottingham, Vlachodimos has been the no.2 and riding the bench.

Mavropanos also with his move to West Ham hasn't been a nailed on starter, but he has at least played three matches in the last month (2 in the Europa League and one in the League Cup). 

Kourbelis is another who has not seen the pitch since late August for Trabzonspor, so Poyet has some decisions to make on how many potentially underdone players he starts in the game. 

Goutas called up to replace the injured Chatzidiakos. Considering the squad flies for Ireland today and he plays his club football in Wales, he will fly directly to Dublin and link up with the squad there. 

With 4 center backs still in the squad, I feel it confirms Tzavellas is only being called up due to either Poyet wanting a "personality" in the squad or EPO forcing it upon him. He isn't seen as a feasible option unless the game is either comfortably won or lost. 

• Like it 3

Line-ups are out...

Giakoumakis over Pavlidis

Retsos/Mavropanos/Tsimikas/Rota - expected back line. Rota may get exposed...

Kourbelis/Mantalos/Bakesetas/Pelkas - Assuming Pelkas is on the wing.

Pelkas/Giakoumakis/Masouras

Not sure crazy about Pelkas/Mantalos starting.  Would also put Siopis over Kourbelis.

IRELAND

1 Bazunu(GK)

2 Doherty

4 Duffy(Captain)

6 Cullen

8 Browne

9 Ferguson

11 Smallbone

15 Scales

17 Knight

20 Ogbene

22 Collins

BENCH

16 Travers(GK)

23 O'Leary(GK)

3 Manning

5 O'Shea

7 Robinson

10 Idah

12 Omobamidele

13 Sykes

14 Molumby

18 McGrath

19 Johnston

21 Ebosele

Manager: Stephen Kenny(IRL)

GREECE

1 Vlachodimos(GK)

21 Tsimikas

2 Retsos

4 Mavropanos

15 Rota

20 Mantalos

6 Kourbelis

11 Bakasetas(Captain)

10 Pelkas

7 Masouras

19 Giakoumakis

BENCH

12 Paschalakis(GK)

13 Dioudis(GK)

3 Koulierakis

5 Bouchalakis

8 Ioannidis

9 Pavlidis

14 Fountas

16 Chatzigiovanis

17 Alexandropoulos

18 Saliakas

22 Giannoulis

23 Siopis

Manager: Gustavo Poyet(URU)

1 minute ago, Brklyngrk said:

Where can we watch this game? I am listening to the game and we are getting outplayed...

Same problem for me. I wish ESPN still had the rights to this stuff. I have ESPN+

• Like it 1