Phantis Forums

2022 WCQ: Greece - Georgia (31 Mar. 2021 - Toumba, Thessaloniki)

Dutch Eagle

I ended up watching the highlights between Sweden and Georgia and that game could have easily ended up in a draw as the play looked pretty even back and fourth and Georgia had a few prime scoring chances. Either Georgia is not going to be as easy as an out as i thought or Sweden just didn't have a good game at all. Greece need get 3 points here but seeing Sweden struggle to get the win against them worries me.

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, J1078 said:

I ended up watching the highlights between Sweden and Georgia and that game could have easily ended up in a draw as the play looked pretty even back and fourth and Georgia had a few prime scoring chances. Either Georgia is not going to be as easy as an out as i thought or Sweden just didn't have a good game at all. Greece need get 3 points here but seeing Sweden struggle to get the win against them worries me.

That’s why they play the games. You’re right. No one is an easy out. In football upsets happen. Ball is round it can go anywhere. Greece tied Spain yesterday. The same Spain that destroyed Germany. Anything can happen on any given day. 

• Like it 2

5 hours ago, J1078 said:

I agree, Georgia seems to have improved they were one game away from qualifying for Euro 2020. They have never been easy beats like some other nations and for a team like us they always provide stern opposition. I just think back to Euro 2012 qualifying we equalised in the final 15 to get a 1-1 draw in Greece and had to score 2 late goals to beat them in the return match later in the campaign. 

Obviously we are talking 10 years ago, but always worth looking at recent meetings. Looking at the stats, they basically split possession (55-45) with the Swedes which is surprising, so we might not have as much of the ball as we might have anticipated. 

Regardless of their improved form, it is a game we simply must win. Expect to see us go back to the high pressing and trying to own the ball. 

Edited by paokarag4
  • Like it 1

This is a game where the NT has to actually play and create something, instead of just parking a bus at our end. This will be tough game. Let's hope for an early goal to make things easier.

I Agree, People are underestimating Georgia, This game can cause us problems if they aren't careful, Georgia countered with great opportunities against Sweden on numerous occasions and had great scoring chances. We need an early goal to get rid of some of the pressure but we also need to be mindful not to get caught out of position on the counter. This is a MUST 3 points for us, If we drop points here it would probably cost us 2nd. Also lets hope Sweden drop points to Kosovo.

here are some highlights from the Sweden vs Georgia :

Edited by Lazarus
Removed link to YouTube video -- it is no longer available.

DEFENDING IS A SKILL

The next time someone tells you we should play more attacking and that its not honorable to play for a draw against a power house like Spain show them this.

Note: Georgia is the team getting thrown down the well in the last 90 seconds. 

EYlbep4UwAA3evy.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EYlbep4UwAA3evy.jpg

Edited by Euro04Kings
Picture- Title
  • Like it 1

A real shame this would have been a great result for us in terms of competing with 2 teams. 

Just goes to show we cant take what we did for granted. Georgia will be very tough based on todays game . At least one of there better subs got a red and they will be as tired as they can possibly be....it will be hard to break them down. 2-0 would be a perfect result and 2-1 or 1-0 would be acceptable. 

• Euro04Kings changed the title to GEORGIAN HEARTBREAK/a LOOK AHEAD to GEORGIA

I'm hoping we see Tzolis start. Sure he missed some easy opportunities on Sunday, but the key thing for this squad is that he is CREATING opportunities in the first place. He made some strong crosses into the box, and made a lot of those (albeit missed) opportunities with his speed and timed runs. I think he is the kind of player that can find a goal during a brief opening against a likely aggressive Georgia side with more fortune in his feet tomorrow. 

• Like it 2

Starting lineup was just announced !!! Courtesy of sportime 

Vlachodimos 

bakakis k paps tzavellas giannoulis 

zeca bouchalakis 

fortunis bakasetas tzolis 

pavlidis

Why bakasetas it’s an automatic starter is just super Annoying I know he scored against Spain but he offers nothing going forward he is slow with the ball and has no creativity I would have put fortounis there instead which is his natural position and masouras on the right with tsimikas replacing bakakis. Our two best backs should be playing at all times regardless if one is out of position it’s a waste to keep one on the bench we’re not a Germany or Brazil to have such great talent sitting and not playing. As for fw I guess pavlidis got the start bcs of his two goals against Honduras but giakoumakis too me is the best fw we have had since mitroglou as is perfect for this formation. 

• Like it 4

The lineup is fine for the most part. I agree that Fortounis should have been there and Masouras on the right.  I can see why he didn't put Tsimikas at right if he never played before, could have tried it in the friendly though. What happened to Androutsos?

• Like it 1

We have to fully expect Spain to beat Kosovo and move to 7 Points with Sweden in 2nd with 6 points, We need to be within 2 points of Sweden after this match which means we absolutely need the win here. As most news outlets are reporting this game here can determine if we have a chance at 2nd or not. This game feels like a do or die for us.

• Lazarus unfeatured this topic