Phantis Forums

2022 WCQ: Kosovo - Greece (5 Sep. 2021, 21:45 EEST - Fadil Vokrri Stadium, Pristina)

J1078

2 hours ago, Antaeus7 said:

This Spanish team just doesn't have that killer offense. Their defense isn't the same without Puyol and Ramos. 

For sure they pass the ball around on the opponent but they have no end product and the goal they conceeded of the restart was laughable. Who knows maybe Greece will overtake Spain and not Sweden for 2nd place now? 

In order for us to get in we need the following IMO, This doesn't look good for us. But for now we can only take it one game at a time and it needs to start with a MUST win against Kosovo if we lose or draw then there's no point even looking forward as it will be over.

2 Wins Against Kosovo - 6pts

1 Win Against Georgia - 3pts

2 Wins Against Sweden - 6pts

we may be able to lose or draw against Spain.

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 1

Spain has an amazing team but for all the chances they create, they should be scoring 4 a game. They dominated the Italian team in the Euros but couldn't score. Sweden, in a way, is a team that mirrors us.  They prefer to play defense and counter, will be interesting to see how they play us. 

• Like it 1

18 minutes ago, J1078 said:

In order for us to get in we need the following IMO, This doesn't look good for us. But for now we can only take it one game at a time and it needs to start with a MUST win against Kosovo if we lose or draw then there's no point even looking forward as it will be over.

Agree. One game at a time, we can't get all the points back at once. Take care of business against Kosovo and then we can look forward to a massive do or die against Sweden. 

I am relatively confident we will beat Kosovo, we will get chances just whether we are able to bury a couple.

I am interested to see what JVS does on the wings, with all our outs. Assuming Tzolis isn't fit to start (maybe off the bench), it will probably be Giannoulis or Mantalos on the left and I don't know who on the right could be a few players (Even Mantalos) The fact that Limnios got no minutes against Switzerland leaves me reasonably optimistic that he won't start in this game. 

• Like it 1

3 hours ago, J1078 said:

I was thinking the same thing we need 5 wins and two wins vs Sweden and hope Spain beat Sweden last match day.

Then Greece would have 17pts  Sweden 15pts 

At this point only 2 games in it looks very bleek..

• Like it 1

8 minutes ago, Ellada2004 said:

I was thinking the same thing we need 5 wins and two wins vs Sweden and hope Spain beat Sweden last match day.

Then Greece would have 17pts  Sweden 15pts 

At this point only 2 games in it looks very bleek..

I agree it looks very bleek but by some chance we get out of September with 6 points we are right back in the mix. 

• Like it 1

5 hours ago, J1078 said:

I agree it looks very bleek but by some chance we get out of September with 6 points we are right back in the mix. 

Lets hope we get 6 points it will be very difficult. The Sweden win was the worst result for us a Spain win would have set us up really well but now Greece have to beat the Swedes. No way was I expecting Sweden to have 9 points after 3 games. I was saying that they would drop points vs Georgia and they should have Olsen saved there arse that game but yesterday they actually went toe to toe with Spain unlike there Euro group match were they sat back and just barely hung on for a draw. 

Sweden beating Spain means their match vs Greece now takes on a greater significance.

Sweden on 9 pts after 3 games. Now that they beat Spain, they will be looking at top spot in the Group so they will be super motivated and confident to beat us, Kosovo and Georgia. With 6 out of 6 wins they just need to beat us in Sweden on match day 7 and top spot is theirs regardless of their match with Spain away in the last game.

We must not lose to them in Greece otherwise we are chasing Spain for 2nd spot, and that will be extremely difficult.

• Like it 1

Novasports reporting that JVS is considering playing 5 at the back, like he successfully did in the Norway friendly back in June. It would make sense given we have so many players out who would play on the wings normally. He covers them with wing-backs instead. 

I don't mind it, but the fact he did not try this formation against Switzerland(I didn't see the full game so correct me if I'm wrong) coupled with the fact he doesn't seem like a coach to take massive risks lead me to believe it won't happen. You never know though so we'll see, seems like 9 players are locked into start with 2 positions up for grabs depending with which formation JVS ends up going with. 

Full article for anyone interested: https://www.novasports.gr/sport/podosfairo/event/fifa-world-cup/article/12074496/ethniki-skepseis-gia-tria-stoper-kai-siopi/ 

Things have gone sideways for the Ethniki yet again for another qualification cycle. We landed in a difficult group though getting Sweden was slighlty better than some other Pot 2 teams and other groups at the time ie. Switzerland and Ukraine based on their pre Euro performances. The injuries to key players especially Fortounis (yet again) is very hard to overcome given his technical and attacking ability that we lack. Also missing Manolas, Siovas, and Sokratis due to utter stupidity hurts our cause too. Coaching has cost us a couple points already as JVS got everything wrong vs Georgia in what was a must 3pts and now with Sweden winning it really sticks out! I just hope our luck can eventually turn around but  the EPO are going to have to find a smart coach who knows how to work with our players and doesnt get involved in this mickey mouse BS that JVS has initiated with our key players that have been banned from the team. We are just hurting ourselves over and over from after the 2014 World Cup. The NT has to be qualifying regularly for major tournaments especially with the expansion of the EUROS and we missed twice. Its frigin UNACCEPTABLE!!

• Like it 5

1 hour ago, Ellada2004 said:

Things have gone sideways for the Ethniki yet again for another qualification cycle. We landed in a difficult group though getting Sweden was slighlty better than some other Pot 2 teams and other groups at the time ie. Switzerland and Ukraine based on their pre Euro performances. The injuries to key players especially Fortounis (yet again) is very hard to overcome given his technical and attacking ability that we lack. Also missing Manolas, Siovas, and Sokratis due to utter stupidity hurts our cause too. Coaching has cost us a couple points already as JVS got everything wrong vs Georgia in what was a must 3pts and now with Sweden winning it really sticks out! I just hope our luck can eventually turn around but  the EPO are going to have to find a smart coach who knows how to work with our players and doesnt get involved in this mickey mouse BS that JVS has initiated with our key players that have been banned from the team. We are just hurting ourselves over and over from after the 2014 World Cup. The NT has to be qualifying regularly for major tournaments especially with the expansion of the EUROS and we missed twice. Its frigin UNACCEPTABLE!!

Great post and I agree 100%. We need to qualify. I’d be more than happy if we qualify with JVS and then get in a proper coach for the tournament. If we lose one of these games coming up then we are out I believe. JVS has made some very poor decisions in the past especially with our more talented players. Even when Fortounis was healthy he was being misused and under utilised. He had no mercy with Fetfatzidis and Siovas and got rid of them like they were nothing. Not convincing Manolas and Sokratis to come back is another thing. 

This fascination with Bakasetas has to stop. I read online there were squad line ups rumoured for Kosovo. One had Bakasetas in it and one didn’t. I’d go with the line up without him. This one player can stop the team from progressing. Especially the position he plays, which is very crucial in attack. 

I know some guys on here will disagree with me but in my opinion If Greece come out and get anything less then 3 points then JVS needs to be removed. The way he had the team playing scared against Georgia and his decision making in that MUST win game was a complete embarrassment, so for me his job is on the line with this game.

8 minutes ago, J1078 said:

I know some guys on here will disagree with me but in my opinion If Greece come out and get anything less then 3 points then JVS needs to be removed. The way he had the team playing scared against Georgia and his decision making in that MUST win game was a complete embarrassment, so for me his job is on the line with this game.

Must win or he should be OUT! I still think he would stay on until the Sweden match.

Lets GO GREECE!!

• Like it 1

I’m not saying JVS is a good coach or a bad one for that matter. I’m just wondering how many coaches are we going to go through, before we start blaming the lack of talent. From all the guys that were called up maybe 2 or 3 actually play on good teams? I hard to win when you’re calling up players from teams that most Chinese orphans can beat. 

• Like it 1

• Lazarus unfeatured this topic