Phantis Forums

Euro 2024 Group B - Greece - Netherlands (16 Oct. 2023 21:45 EET, Opap Arena, Athens)

Dutch Eagle

That horrible first half ruined our head to head chances with the Dutch. If only we could have just lost by just a goal. Greece can beat Ireland. It won’t be easy but we have more quality and will be more organized with Mavropanos & Baldock. Need France to get a result vs Holland and then beat them in Athens. Who knows maybe the final game vs France could mean something? At this point though it looks like Greece will be playing in the playoffs. 

I think that result vs Netherlands has already began to play into the mind of our coaching staff and players. In terms of, I think we are already focusing on the playoff opponents. Ireland, in Ireland, will be tough. I just don't see us winning that game. Netherlands will come here and want to solidify 2nd place so that will be tough as well. I just see us getting 1 point between the 2 games. 

• 3 weeks later...

This is the Ethnikis biggest game since Spain in Athens (0-1), lets hope what every line up Poyet comes up with they have the game of their life. 

I really hope no Pelkas, I think, and it wont happen but for a game like this, you need one of our quicker midfielders in the middle, Galanopoulos would be good

• Like it 2

Greece has never defeated Netherlands at home and they never scored a goal. This has to change quickly as Greece trying to write history. A win here and Greece chance of qualifying automatically for EURO 2024 increases greatly. Not yet clinching it since Netherlands does have a match to make up while Greece gets the day off in late November. I honestly don't see Netherlands drop points at home to Ireland. 

Edited by Antaeus7
  • Like it 1

Not trying to jump ahead at all as the game against the Netherlands is going to be a huge task.

Let’s say we somehow pull off a win then we would need a draw against France to guarantee second. If we lose against France, The Netherlands is going to have to drop points against Ireland.. If we draw against Netherlands then we would have to beat France and hope Netherlands doesn’t beat Ireland..

Yep, a win is the only result that gives a shot at direct qualification. Hoping for the Dutch to drop points against the Irish who have been bang average this qualifying campaign isn't realistic. 

I expect the boys to be up for this game there is so much on the line, plus the added fact that the Dutch game was our worst performance of the Poyet era.

The Dutch are better technically and are probably faster and stronger than us so the lads are going to need be switched on from the start and be super focused. Playing smart and fighting hard for every ball, 2nd and 3rd ball is the way we match it with them. 

Interested to see if Poyet sticks with Mantalos as an 8 for this game as he did against the Irish. The Kourbelis-Siopis-Bakasetas midfield was blown away in Eindhoven so I wonder if Poyet will rejig the look of our midfield three. FWIW I think Mantalos should only play central if he does start, not out on the left as he did in Holland.

Otherwise you think the starting 11 will be the more or less the same as in Dublin. Giakoumakis will start considering he scored a few days ago and he probably is physically our best chance to match it with Van Dijk. 

Squad for today:

Βλαχοδήμος, Πασχαλάκης, Διούδης, Ρέτσος, Κουλιεράκης, Μαυροπάνος, Ρότα, Γούτας, Τσιμίκας, Γιαννούλης, Μπουχαλάκης, Κουρμπέλης, Πέλκας, Μπακασέτας, Κωνσταντέλιας, Μάνταλος, Σιώπης, Μασούρας, Ιωαννίδης, Παυλίδης, Φούντας, Χατζηγιοβάνης, Γιακουμάκης.

Left out of the squad:

Σάλιακας,Τζαβέλλας, Γαλανόπουλος

GREECE

1 Vlachodimos(GK)

15 Rota

4 Mavropanos

2 Retsos

3 Koulierakis

11 Bakasetas(Captain)

6 Kourbelis

20 Mantalos

7 Masouras

21 Tsimikas

8 Ioannidis

BENCH

12 Paschalakis(GK)

13 Dioudis(GK)

5 Bouchalakis

9 Pavlidis

10 Pelkas

14 Fountas

16 Chatzigiovanis

17 Konstantelias

18 Goutas

19 Giakoumakis

22 Giannoulis

23 Siopis

Manager: Gustavo Poyet(URU)

NETHERLANDS

1 Verbruggen(GK)

5 Ake

4 Van Dijk(Captain)

2 Geertruida

12 Hartman

14 Reijnders

8 Wieffer

22 Dumfries

7 Bergwijn

10 Simons

9 Weghorst

BENCH

13 Olij(GK)

22 Noppert(GK)

3 van de Ven

6 De Vrij

11 Stengs

15 De Roon

16 Veerman

17 Blind

18 Malen

19 Brobbey

20 Maatsen

21 Frimpong

Manager: Ronald Koeman(NED)

Win would be great, but I am not that hopeful. I don't see the Dutch going on a full attack mode. After all a tie is almost like a win for them. We will need to be patient and not make any mistakes early on.