Phantis Forums

Greece-Hungary (11 October 2015, Karaiskakis Stadium, Piraeus)

Greekaroos

Good end to a terrible campaign. Our midfield looked so creative, that was easily our best attacking game in a while, against Hungary who had only conceded 5 before tonight too.

But the defending was still awful.

• Like it 1

Needed win. Even though it didn't get is to euro, it brought the young boys some motivation and determination going into the next campaign. Lol we can just watch Cyprus in the euro as a replacement (I believe if they win tmrw and Bosnia loses to Belgium they are through)

I like this NT. I won't get hyped over just 1 game , and I think that's the proper thing to do. 

4 goals is something we never saw really, at least not since I have been watching football.

3 goals against was too much to be honest , but apart from sokratis,  none of our starter defenders really played , neither manolas/kyriakos at cbs nor torosidis (who in my opinion still has 1-2 more years to give his services). cholebas played a little but it was obvious that the coach's instructions were to play aggressive, so not much defending was seen of him ( I really hope im right and that those mistakes that he made we re not typical cholebas mistakes)

lets hope from november , not just from the qualifiers but from the upcoming friendlies, we see the same as tonight.

• Like it 1

I wouldn't be too worried about the 3 goals conceded. We can fix those problems easily with Manolas, K Pap and Soc. Soc before he got inj. was good as always. Backline today was depleted. What was really pleasing is we were down twice in the match and came back to win it.

• Like it 2

The LBs were horrible and Tachtsidis needed to be braver when defending the corner (he should have put his head to the ball even if it meant getting a boot to the face). Moras too was a little slow to react at times.

It was an open game and Hungary finished third no matter what. Maybe the goal difference would count for something because they could qualify automatically so long Ukraine doesn't beat Spain tomorrow.

why risk staying months out or maybe ending a career over a no-reason game.

That's what Tachtsidis is capable of, Zeman saw it when he was playing Serie B with Hellas Verona and he tried to get it out of him when he signed him for Roma. He's strong enough to break up play and keep the ball, but he's also a very good long pass, just needs to find consistency.

I need clarification here.  Isnt there a scenario where they dont count the games against the last place team in the groups with 6 teams??  So this game wasnt counted for Hungary , is this correct?  How pathetic we are if that is true

Edited by Polikastano

@Polikastano

That is only for the third placed countries in order to determine the best number 3 that will also be qualified automatically as the group of Portugal, Serbia, Denmark, Armenia and Albania has only 5 countries and the other groups 6. Therefore all matches against number six of the groups do not count.

I need clarification here.  Isnt there a scenario where they dont count the games against the last place team in the groups with 6 teams??  So this game wasnt counted for Hungary , is this correct?  How pathetic we are if that is true

they came to win thats for sure , thats what their coach said , thats what their starting 11 said , thats what they showed. but even with us using

Started this match 45 minutes late, fortunately Fox's app lets you backtrack so I got the whole experience.

Our LBs were the worst part of our game, yet again. Stafylidis needs a lot more experience. Holebas is still a trash defender. Look to the left side in the future for where most goals on us will come from, regardless of who goes there.

Kind of sloppy in a lot of other instances as well. Moras' deflection that almost led to an own goal, for one.

I loved the use of Fortounis/Mantalos/Pelkas in the midfield. Very fluid. The three of them played well together, and switched out positions very dynamically from what I saw. Must have given the Hungarians fits. There's real hunger here now. Ninis and Fetfatzidis, btw, are now superfluous.

Samaris actually played well, which is amazing to me. Hopefully he keeps it up, and takes up the spot of Maniatis going forward. I'm glad Tachtsidis got a start and did well - he has all of Tziolis' ability and seemingly none of his faults, so if anything we should be playing him *more* often. He and Samaris together won't get better if they never see the field at the same time.

Mitroglou still can't hit the broad side of a barn, but this was one of his better matches. I was surprised with how well he linked up with all of the new players; this is something that should be built upon. I don't think Kone looked as bad as the others here say; and he did score a solid goal.

Most of the goals we copped today came from stupid mistakes. This can be fixed. I finally, after so long, am starting to feel a bit of confidence.

As far as the team going forward - I see absolutely no reason why this can't be the general look and feel of it. Young. Hungry. Fast.

• Like it 2

I didn't even realise we were playing today so missed the match and just checked Livescore to see we won 4-3 twice coming from behind!

I can't remember another game where we've done that, probably never have!

At least we managed to end this dreadful qualifying tournament on a high. 

We just need Cyprus to pull off a result against Bosnia on Tuesday, so at the very least we have them to watch in the Euro's. 

This is going to one weird Euro with the teams that have qualified, but good on them, well except for those Albanians....

Good to see Greece finish on a good note and finally score a goal at home....

One thing that makes me laugh is gavros papers are complaining Fortounis played 90 mins ahead of the AEK game and Mandalos played only 73 mins, how sad can they be? The guy plays midweek CL matches and they don't say a word and they are worried he represented his country? Sad.

This is the exact thing I was saying from the beginning, we need to fix our defense as it has gone to s%$#!. We actually played great offensively we found holes we created and great one touch passing. But the problem that has caused us to miss the Euro is our defense. We have now allowed 6 goals against in 2 games to garbage teams. It is refreshing to see our boys control the ball and finally get rewarded.

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 2