Phantis Forums

Other Teams/Leagues Discussion

Blackhawk

Seriously guys, why can't the 8-10 best teams of Greece make a new league with the 4 best of Cyprus? The reality is that the soccer in Greece is almost dead and I think a merge like this would be a good injection. Apoel, Omonia and Anorthosis currently have better attendances than 12 out of the 16 teams in SuperLeague and the attendances would probably increase a lot with a merge with the Greek teams.

Attendances Greece: http://www.superleaguegreece.net/el/schedule

Attendances Cyprus: http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/avecyp.htm

Edited by PAOKSWEDEN

It's been done before. I think there was a thread about this in one of the other subforums (regarding entirely merged leagues) - the Cypriot teams don't have the money or fan base to be competitive, and will eventually find themselves pushed out to the second division. Let them have their own league.

I think there might be a legal problem doing that.

Maybe. But Swansea and Cardiff are both from Wales and they play in Premier League. The turks would probably try to do their best to stop it but why would they have any influence in that?

It's been done before. I think there was a thread about this in one of the other subforums (regarding entirely merged leagues) - the Cypriot teams don't have the money or fan base to be competitive, and will eventually find themselves pushed out to the second division. Let them have their own league.

If we're talking about all teams, yes you're right. But Apoel and Omonia would probably attract between 10-15k every game and that would place them before PAOK, AEK and PAO. 12 out of the 16 teams in GSL have average attendances of 2k or below, why not replace those with 3-4 clubs from Cyprus?

To add, this would be good for the Enosi-movement.

Really?? I don't think it was given as a 0-3? If its past the 60th minute or something then any result stands in terms of an abandonded game. I don't recall hearing about EPO awarding it as a 3-0 to olympiako, our punishment was the points deduction and fine.  I could be wrong though 

The punishment by EPO for the PAOK - Olympiakos game was 100K fine, 3 games without fans, -5 points from Superleague standing, and 3:0 forfeit, since the game did not finish.

As for PAOK not showing up for the return leg, Savvidis in his outburst right after the game said, that if the first leg is not replayed from the beginning with a foreign ref, PAOK will not show up for the second leg. Let's see if he has the balls to follow up with this threat. I hope he does.

• Like it 1

Where did the theory of "back door" deals by Marinakis Alafouzos and Meli come from?

From the fact that the snake Alafouzos stopped he constant media attacks on Marinakis about a month ago. Also last weekend without much media attention there was a meeting between the government (Kontonis) and Marinakis/Melissanidis. Media claims that Marinakis and Melissanidis met with government officials separately, but I don't trust them. I am pretty sure there was a contact between the two. 

What does one have to do with the other?  

As for the second part, let's wait and see if he does a Tsukahara. Personally I hope he doesn't. Will be interesting to see what excuse he comes up if he does.

I think Wales is part of the UK. There is no Welsh passport for example.

Ah okay, sounds logical. I've read that if Catalunya would vote and part from Spain then Barcelona are welcome to play in France but that might not be true. I don't have any information about what's possible or not but if possible I can't see why 2-3 or 4 Cypriot would not be welcomed into the GSL. Especially as the GSL has hit rock bottom.

PAOKSWEDEN when all that s%$#! happened back then I was all for Savvidis not sending his team down for the 2nd leg, now that things have been semi cleared up PAOK should go for the 2nd leg (especially if the score is still 2-1) as the s%$#! that has happened before wont repeat itself this time especially with more eyes on the kypello now. But one thing they should do is appoint foreign refs for all remaining kypello matches not just the final.....

Apparently it's -3 points from next season if we don't show up for the cup game. At least that's what the "experts" are saying. EPO might come up some other extra punishment that they will invent inthe meantime.

That's why it might be better to show up with fringe players (subs, U20) and get 5 red (or 6 to 7 quick "injuries") cards in the first 10 minutes and have the game being stopped by the ref. 

Surely there's some sort of rule that will result in our team getting even more punishment for excessive on-field violence, if we get to the point where we get 5 red cards?

Unless we just go for handballs all day.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Skanderbeg got slapped with a one-year suspension from European competition due to match fixing (or suspicion of match fixing?). They were going to be seeded in the 2nd qualifying round of CL, which means progression might have meant they'd be drawn against Olympiakos (although admittedly that was a long shot).

Skoda's sponsorship of Xanthi ended with last season. As a result Skoda Xanthi's name from now on will be AO Xanthi, which was their original name. They will also get a new emblem.

Nothing in that little snippet you posted Boston, is not true though? He was banned from taking part in anything related to Greek football was he not? That may have been lifted now because I do recall seeing him at olympiako's celebration for the league title but that perhaps doesn't count as "official football activity" 
Anyways I don't get why they are so defense over their owner, were there not tape recordings of him speaking to refs? Were there not recordings of him talking about trying to buy a ref in a europa league qualifier? 

But I'm anti-marinaki so don't mind the FACTS that I'm stating

Edited by paokarag4