Phantis Forums

Euro 2016 France

haydar

I really didn't care for the way we played under Santos but he got results. He also may never have started the correct 11 but he had a knack for making the right subs at or during the second half. Mind you it was mostly forced due to his stupidity in regards to who he started loo

luck goes both ways, if Ronaldo doesn't miss that penalty v Austria by inches or if Hungary dont get two huge deflections on there 2nd and 3rd goals portugal end up topping there group. 
I do agree though they were lucky to scrape through, but they were probably unlucky to only have 3 draws from the group stage 

• Like it 1

England are just incapable of winning tournament knockout matches. They have only won 2 since 1990, and those were against Ecuador and Denmark. Never won a Euro knockout match in my lifetime. Meanwhile Greece won 3 knockout matches in one tournament, and all those were against quality opposition.

And yes Kane was dreadful, has been all tournament. Says a lot about the Premier League that he was the top scorer last season, Vardy second top scorer too.

I think the Icelandic fairytale has equalled or surpassed Greece 2004 win.  We are talking about a country of 350,000 people. The fact they are in the QF is truly amazing.   It will all be over as i dont think they will beat the French.  But what they have accomplished is truly remarkable.

Edited by Polikastano
  • Like it 1

What a great Euro it has been, so many upsets and smaller nations making a name for themselves.

Always said at tournaments you never write off the Germans or Italians and today proved that once again, Italy playing with massive confidence considering they have a team with no stars they had of the past.

Some great 1/4 matches coming up

• Like it 1

To understand why England are no good, just have a look at Italy.  I saw Buffon make a save, and he had a look in his eye like he was ready to kill.  Say what you will about the Italians, but they are fighters.  They really do give it there all.  England, what can you say ?  It looks like they don't care.  I'm sure it's not quite that simple, I'm sure they do care and they did try, but it's just not the same.  It's what separates the men from the boys.  England are just a bunch of softies at the end of the day.  And at this level, it can make all the difference.

• Like it 1

sure, luck goes both ways - ifs and buts for ronaldo's penalty, but what about austria's few ifs and buts against portugal?

bottom line, santos' portugal needed an outrageous goal by arguably the world's best footballer to progress with an extra life-line given by uefa for this tournament. hardly the stuff to compliment santos, but i always had the impression santos will be lauded here as ranieri must be blamed.

santos, where posters picked his best side for brazil 2014, and injury and suspension forced those selections and greece made the final 16.

i read praise for conte, by why doesn't conte play pelle or zaza at right wing, as santos did with salpi?  what was the difference in approach for santos and greece x germany in 2012 and conte and italy x spain 2016? where was makos' happy hunting ground in 2012 as opposed to parolo's happy hunting ground in 2016? probably a good 15-20 yards.

I agree with all apart from the context of the last paragraph...

Yes Greece/Santos were tactically poor v Germany 2012...

However....

Germany 2012 were super hot when going into QF v greece....A Greece that were just happy to be there after stunning Russia..

Spain were barely warm in 2016...And Italy 2016 are not greece 2012...

The form and mentality of teams in major tournaments is fascinating..Italy were shot the longer 2014 went..greece got better... more belief..more confidence....

I could care less for England and English football/footballers. They think they are entitled to respect, or consideration of special treatment because of some link to the sports beginnings?!

They aren't the best or close to being the best and their EPL is the equivalent of chocolate covered s#1t. I seriously hope their moronic decision by a majority racist and closed-minded section of the population to withdraw from the European Union impacts the EPL. They can pay way over the top for skoupidia like Raheem Sterling and that meth head Vardy but that doesn't change the fact that Italian, Spanish and German players are levels better than them.

England losing to Iceland is not some earth shattering upset. Who the f*** are England anyway? Small and corrupt Greece have a won a trophy in recent memory, why the f*** can't these c*nts?! Good riddance to chavs, racists and pompous twats.

I wouldn't write off this polish team , prob one of their best sides since 82. I can see them beating Portugal who have just scrape through in each game. Lewandowski who scores goal has been double marked most games and its been hard for him to do much but he does work with his back to goal a lot and bring players into the game, I rate Lewandowski one of the best strikers iv seen in a while.

Belgium should beat Wales, Germany vs Italy should be a cracked and nobody should be writing the Italians off after what we have seen them do and finally surely France will beat Iceland, but stranger things have happened.

Some great games coming up

Lewandowski is the best striker in the competition. They definitely have what it takes to beat Portugal. But this has been a weird tournament so far...who's the underdog in this match-up?

• Like it 1

I love Lewandowksi and seeing him play live in Poland during the Euros he made me love him more, strong tall fast a good shot and can take players on. Old style striker.

pash everyone will say Poland are the underdogs, but looking at both teams lead up to this match, its hard to really pick especially since Portugal has won only 1 game out of 4 and that was in ET