Phantis Forums

Ninis on the national team?

plato-ny

Give him time for christs sake!

i would welcome him in the NT as well BUT the kid hasn t even played ten league games, has never made a real international appearance, no youth nt, etc.. sometimes achieving too much too soon can destroy a player. he is just 16 years old, which is extremely young in pro football!!! and yesterday NOBODY knew him...

the only real precedents of this could be nuri sahin (turkey). who earned his first cap for turkey at age 17 AFTER being the BEST player of the u-17 world tournament and staring for dortmund in germany. Messi (argentina) was 18 until he first stared for argentina after great showing a youth national team AND club level (barca). cristiano ronaldo was 18 and came from a great season with sporting domestically and internationally. the difference is major achievements at international youth team AND/OR strong showing in competitive leagues. plus they were all older, and at that age even one year means a lot...

let ninis play u-21! its not good to be too quick for his sake! i saw too many young sensations loose it. let him develop without stress.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of people forget how young Michael Owen was when he was first being scouted, and he was about the same age when he started playing on the national team.

Some kids are beyond their years, and if you put a teen on the pitch, he'll run up and down for 95 minutes and want to play more. I do agree that they should shape him up until he's 17 or nearly 18, but unless he's a prodigy, there's no way he should be playing for the men's NT.

If he's good now, let's see how good he is in a year or two. Look what happened to Freddy Adu.

yes but lets not forget owen was 18 when he first played for England and came off a superb season with liverpool in the premier league. you can t really compare two goals and four good games in the superleague to that. it is still very early, it would be best for ninis to have the time to develop into a real player of panathinaikos before thinking of ethniki andron appearance.

just look at what precedent players we compare ninis to: owen, messi, pele...c#mon let the kid grow!

• 2 weeks later...

I dont see him being called up if things go as they have been and we stay on top of the group -

Why rock the boat if you are in First place.

If he keeps improving he'll be available for the 2008 tourney or for the subsequent WC qualifications. I'm sure the powers that be are keeping an eye on him.

• 2 weeks later...

Call him up into the NT and give him 10 minutes against Korea. If he is good enough, he is old enough.

Look at England with Theo Walcott...he had never played a full Premier leage match, but was selected in the WC 2006 squad and played a few minutes.

It's the old Greek mentality again of if you are under 30 you're a baby at work here.

Also just because he's been called up by Albania as well points to nothing.

Albania has also called up a player who wasn't even born in that country but in the former Yugoslavia and now lives in Australia. They can call up anyone they like much like Croatia does with people of 3rd and even 4th generation heritage, but at the end of the day Ninis is a product of Hellenic football and considers himself a Greek.

Theo Walcott didnt play at all at the WC and he has flopped at Arsenal. Sometimes pressure can get to a kid.
good point

is he Orthodox?

If not - could be an interesting teamate of Pandalis Kone - have there been any other Muslim memebers of the ethniki?

Hussein Mumin, or Huseyin Mumin as we know him in Turkey, is a Xanthi, or Iskece as we know in Turkey born Turcogreek or whatever you call him.. :P

Husein Mumin is the first muslim Greek to play for the Greek NT. In his case it was his the U-21 NT. His last game for the U-21 NT was today against Denmark.

As for Ninis, I don't think he is ready for the senior squad. let him get some playing time for elpides.

• 3 months later...

Yeah I definitely think he should play for the Elpides first; just to get as much international experience as possible. He is only 16 after all. But things are looking good for him and guys like Mitroglou and Papasthatopoulos also look promising.

Interview with Ninis and his growing potential

http://www.uefa.com/magazine/news/kind=16/...sid=562587.html

WOW! What a fantastic interview, so mature! He could become a fantastic player but he's not quite ready for the NT yet.
I couldn't agree any more with you.

Everytime I have seen him interviewd he has come across as a very thoughtful young man.

With all this talk about Real Madrid and Chelsea monitoring him, what's PAO going to do if they get a firm offer? Sell him instantly I bet....they'll get an offer of 1 million Euro and they'll jump at offloading him.

there is a clause in the NEW contract Ninis signed last month, which by the way has him signed with pao until 2015 that if he gets sold he can only be sold for 12 million or more.

besides, after his showing at the u-19`s and the fact that foreign announcers call him `Superstar` musat say something about what they think about thius kid outside of greek borders.

i have a friend living in france who never watches thegreek league and when pao played Lens last year in the UEFA, before the game, the french announcers were talkin about Ninis. And at thgat point he had only played 4 games in the superleague.

Lets say that scouting in thse countries KILLS the scouting we have in greece.

i was reading a report the other day, abotu how Sevilla scouts were scouting Seitaridis when he was playin for PAS before pao even signed him.

NOW THATS A DEEP SEARCH.

in Ninis case though, it was hard for them to to scout him cuz up until last year he was only in the youth of pao. and his transistion from youth to first team was doen way too fast.

and lets face it, the kid is talented. i am not just sayin that because im a pao fan.

even osfp and AEK fans say that they would of loved to had him on their team.

its al facts.

he is great. Young but great.

He will most likely be chosen player of the tournament if greece wins and from there on, anything can happen.

its not like he came out of the blue in the last 4 weeks. People were expecting himn to be one of the dominant players of the tournament even though greece wasnt expected to go far. and he stepped up. and dont forget he is playing against players that r 2 or 3 years older then him. thats impressive.

the difference between a 16 year old and a 19 year old is bigger then say the difference between a 25 and a 28 year old.

Every goal greece scored in thsi tournament came from his foot somehow. the three goals that mitro scored came directly off ninis foot or head. the corner yesterday, the winning goal was delivered by Ninis.

everything he touched in the last 6 months has been gold. lets hope that carries into the superleague this season

Ninis sees similarities in u-19 team and Euro 2004 team

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/under19/n...sid=564366.html

[]Albanians' dislike for Ninis and Greeks. Ninis was raised in Greece and developed his skill in Greece, not in Albania[/url]

---

Sorry for the Edit Plato... lets just not poison our forum with such a low quality piece of another forum that only spills poison ...

I would love to leave it for informational reasons as to what some Albanians think but this goes way beyond sport ...

Lets leave it aside and deal with the footballing issue at hand with a slight touch of politics rather than make is 100% political ...

thanks and sorry again...

[]Albanians' dislike for Ninis and Greeks. Ninis was raised in Greece and developed his skill in Greece, not in Albania[/url]

Don't waste your time #############. The highlight of their nations history was beating us 2-1. #########!!

---

Hey DUDE! Seems you missed me heh!?

Comeon man ... we Greeks have 100000000000 ways to answer to anyone trying to insult us and ALL of those ways can begin and end without using a single drop of aggression!

Do not fall into the trap...

Post Edited ... please lower your tone a bit ...

On the subject....

I am not sure if the kid is 100%, 50%, 25% or 0% Greek ...

If you guys know tell me ...

If he is NOT Greek then maybe the fact that he grew up here is enough for him to feel Greek and since I cannot prove his true feelings I can only accept what he himself is saying onthe subject.

I expect him to try twice as hard to honor the flag he will wear on the chest and I dont mean in footballing terms only but most importantly as a serious personality in the pitch!

I wish him luck and drive away from political ans racial garbage ...

Good luck to the kid .. he surelly is a great footballer already and can become a world star if he works hard!

^ I'm not sure if one can rely on Wikipedia for information because anyone can edit it. But, I believe that his parents are Albanian immigrants and that his birth name was actually Sotir Nini. His parents moved to Athens and became citizens and Sotir Nini became Sotirios Ninis and became a Greek.

Archived