Phantis Forums

Greece V Cyprus: Oct. 7, 2016 World Cup Qualifier - Georgios Karaiskakis Stadium ( Piraeus )

HellasLEAF

image1.jpg?w=700

A bit early, but we'll just put news and discussion in here.  A month will be here before you know it.  Hope the guys are ready will be a big game.  

I hope that we see big support from the fans as well like before.    

1 hour ago, kbxk508 said:

Oh no. Holebas complained to Scibbe about being used as a LM and not as the LB, and it looks like coach wasn't too impressed. Hope this blows over. 

http://www.contra.gr/Soccer/Hellas/National-Greece/stravwse-me-ton-skimpe-o-xolempas.4251389.html

This really pisses me off. We all know that Holebas needs to be a regular starter for this team but as a professional he needs to learn to SHUT his mouth and do whatever the coach asks him to do and be a team player. I really hope this blows over because we do need him in the line up and I hope Skibbe doesn't hold a grudge and not use him going forward.

• Like it 1

How is it that Australia can bring in young wingers (Goodwin, Oikonomidis) and they do a job at least, but Greece find this too risky to do the same? We shouldn't have to play Mantalos or Karelis there. Pick someone and if it's not good, pick someone else. It's sport! The coach should get his finger out of his ear, and take action.

Start Gianniotas for 3 games in a row. If Lazo/Kone are available, get one of them in for the left side. Put Cholevas/Holebas/Xolebas in at LB.

KPaps is now a starter again, someone will have to sit on the bench, either Sok or Mano. Just look at last the game. The coach needs to make a hard decision sometime, and put Samaris under the microscope, Taxi might overtake him soon.

Edited by ausgreek

I don't see this as a problem. It actually shows that the coach has balls to bench a quality player to send him the message that this is a team game and whining wont be tolerated. This is seen in the NHL, NBA, and even the NFL. Top players have been benched if they cross the coach for a period, a half, or an entire game so the message is sent.

I like Cholebas but, in all honesty, he does seem to be one of those whiny bitches who pouts and cries if he doesn't get his way. Team first. Period.

Good for Skibbe.

• Like it 1

Was Holebas complaint after the Gibraltor game or before? if he complained before the Gibraltor game well then that answers our questions to why he wasn't selected to play but if this came after the game then Skibbe is an absolute idiot for not selecting him to play against Gibraltor.

On 8/9/2016 at 4:40 PM, ausgreek said:

How is it that Australia can bring in young wingers (Goodwin, Oikonomidis) and they do a job at least, but Greece find this too risky to do the same? We shouldn't have to play Mantalos or Karelis there. Pick someone and if it's not good, pick someone else. It's sport! The coach should get his finger out of his ear, and take action.

Start Gianniotas for 3 games in a row. If Lazo/Kone are available, get one of them in for the left side. Put Cholevas/Holebas/Xolebas in at LB.

KPaps is now a starter again, someone will have to sit on the bench, either Sok or Mano. Just look at last the game. The coach needs to make a hard decision sometime, and put Samaris under the microscope, Taxi might overtake him soon.

complete post but i dont believe either mano or sok get benched. kyriakos is a starter again but who tells u he ll be healthy in 1 month. Holebas LB is a must. Torosidis RB is a must. Mitroglou Gianniotas and Fortounis and Mantalos are a must. Both players must play that's probably one gets a wing. the others even Samaris has dissapointed me. I dont think we have any super solution on the 6,8. Our midfield suchs just get over it. Even trying to adjust new players like Siopis right now is too risky because u cant make him sync with the team with 1-2 training sessions. Taxi i relaly hope he gets playing time there.

^I agree he needs to start playing better but unfortunately even if he doesn't he's pretty much our only option. I honestly don't think Samaris is as good as people think. To be honest he is a very average player that's playing like s%$#! right now and I don't see a huge upside.

People have got to stop bashing Samaris. Yes against Gibraltar he was not playing well but did you see him against Holland what he did. He is the main reason we keep possession. Maniatis did alright but you can tell he hasn't got a clue and isn't smart enough to create a goal Samaris is already smart enough in that aspect. 

Tachtsidis is more smarter than both of them in the way of creating a goal. I also like to see him, Kone and Fetfatzidis back in the team. It's going to be difficult for them to be in the team when Mantalos and Fortounis are playing very well.

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 1

5 hours ago, GrkCdn22 said:

I also agree that right now, since he's healthy and playing well, KPaps needs to start. Whether it's at the expense of one of our defenders, or even putting him in the DM. He's had success there in the past, and I don't think he would really object to it with Greece. This would allow him to be further up the pitch, use that big body to contribute in the midfield and even chip in offensively. But a five man back formation hasn't worked, so I wouldn't go back to that.

A 5 man back formation against Belgium home/away and Bosnia away is the right way to go. Do not forget that Greece gamestyle, the one that got us into success was just waiting for the opponent to attack us and hit on the counter attack. We struggled with the ball on our feet against even Gibraltar and Liechtenstein the previous years. Play 5 back and Put a Fortounis Gianniotas Mitroglou front trio 5-2-3 and we might even win Bosnia easier than we beat gibraltar.

• Like it 2

good point on tzavellas. he's a class above everyone else in set pieces.

fortounis can cross as good as him though. free kicks tho, tzavellas is ahead of everyone by quite the margin

holebas was one of our breakout stars at world cup 2014. we need him in there. when he bombs in from the left he gives opponents fits. i think people take advantage and give him a hard time because of the language barrier. but skibbe is german and holebas speaks german so not sure how much of an excuse i can givem

7 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

A 5 man back formation against Belgium home/away and Bosnia away is the right way to go. Do not forget that Greece gamestyle, the one that got us into success was just waiting for the opponent to attack us and hit on the counter attack. We struggled with the ball on our feet against even Gibraltar and Liechtenstein the previous years. Play 5 back and Put a Fortounis Gianniotas Mitroglou front trio 5-2-3 and we might even win Bosnia easier than we beat gibraltar.

Agree with the 5 man back line for these games. Karelis or Gianniotas (whomever is in better form) to team up with Mitro up top, with Fortounis in a central/free role, slightly behind the 2 forwards.

3 minutes ago, ELLAS75 said:

I think Cyprus could be more tricky than Bosnia. We have the close relationship & they can surprise as they did last EQ. I did watch them vs a good Belgium side that gave them fits, but the team has to be 100% focused on this match and the next 9 matches they need to treat them like tournament games.

It's a good thing we play them at home so early, and at the pre-last match away.

If our campaign has gone great until then , while they have already been eliminated (quite the big possibility despite not being as bad as their pot suggests), i do believe they will give us the match. The mentality in Cyprus when it comes to football matters is that they are interested and aware. I knew lots of Cypriots cheering in WC 14. If the same mentality exists to their players/their EPO who knows?

Let's stop thinking that Cyprus will give us the last match which would not happen. They are still a professional team and they will play for pride. Let's focus on the now. It's going to be a very hard much to win as I believe they are a faster team then us but I stand by what I said earlier in this form and if Greece can't beat Cyprus then they don't deserve to get out of this group, Not because Cyprus is bad rather they are not one if the top teams in this group and it will make it impossible to advance from this group. This is an absolute huge match coming up.

15 hours ago, J1078 said:

Let's stop thinking that Cyprus will give us the last match which would not happen. They are still a professional team and they will play for pride. Let's focus on the now. It's going to be a very hard much to win as I believe they are a faster team then us but I stand by what I said earlier in this form and if Greece can't beat Cyprus then they don't deserve to get out of this group, Not because Cyprus is bad rather they are not one if the top teams in this group and it will make it impossible to advance from this group. This is an absolute huge match coming up.

Remember that own goal from Slovakia in our WC 14 qualifiers? Are you that humble and disciplined to believe that it really was a Skrtel/Goalkeeper mistake bro? Players like Pjanic and Dzeko are known for being c@nts and probably that plays a great part in how their opponents respect them.

4 5 1 is a defensive formation as it is Rocka. I would like to see 3 5 2 though. Karelis must come on in the 2nd half this time or Skibbe is a knob. That's who should of replaced Fortounis when he got injured.

The Skibbe favours Tzavellas at lb, I think Cholevas may of played his last game, hope not.

6 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

Remember that own goal from Slovakia in our WC 14 qualifiers? Are you that humble and disciplined to believe that it really was a Skrtel/Goalkeeper mistake bro? Players like Pjanic and Dzeko are known for being c@nts and probably that plays a great part in how their opponents respect them.

Regardless if it were to happen or not why are we talking about this and we haven't even played our second qualifying game? Don't you think we are getting a little ahead of  ourselves? Let's just stay focused on the next game and hope this team can stay in it when it comes time for the last match of the qualifier.

As far as holebas goes I have a bad feeling Skibbe won't play him anymore either.  

Tzavellas has to be in the squad due to his ability to play both Left Back and Left Centerback. He also gives the whole "corrupt EPO only favors Oly/Aek/PAO/PAOK players" a cut. He is far more solid as cb than Oikonomu , our 4th in the row, so I totally want him in the squad. He doesn't have to start however.

Skibbe made his point by benching Holebas at the match against Gibraltar. His choice to have Tzavellas over Holebas cost us a goal scored against us, and maybe a few more chances created by Holebas himself. He will be a fool if he thinks that - benching Holebas for the good of the team - is actually a move that will have a good ending for the team. Tzavellas as a LB lead our NT to get scored from Gibraltar. Would be quite harder for such mistakes not to appear against teams like Cyprus and Bosnia. If he is a professional he will talk with Holebas and see this through.

Karelis isnt even playing at Genk right now, not sure why/what's happening. Gianniotas is a MUST on the squad. brings pace, has a footballer's brain and is totally in form.Plus he plays in the cypriot league and might know a couple of defenders well enough. Since Maniatis aint even allowed to train with Olympiakos, I'd give a try to siopis,  at least a call-up

Edited by Rockafeller Skank