Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

Like some said, Samaris was atrocious during the qualifiers. I pointed that out a number of times.

He was getting solid reviews while playing for Benfica but was non-existant for the Ethniki. However having watched him in person against Australia he was very good. i thought he was the best player in the field. Even in Sydney on that poor pitch where Australia dominated possession.

In the second match he was equally if not even better. I hope he has turned a new leaf. The team needs him.

Haha save the coronary stuff for actual games! I enjoy reading 1789's posts. Personally would have Samaris in the side and agree about him being an 8.

1789's posts are a joy to behold.  I love it when I click over to a new page in a thread, and there it is, a wall of text with the avatar of Machlas pinned to it.  If I have to scroll down because the wall of text doesn't fit onto the one screen, all the better.  Sometimes, I might even make myself a herbal tea and really get into rancho relaxo mode before I start reading the wall of text.

• Like it 1

I would line-up as follows:

Karnezis

Manolas---Kyriakos---Sokratis

Mavrias---Torosidis---Mantalos---Holebas

Tachtsidis

Kone---Mitroglou

I think form would have to take precedent over some of my selections (e.g., possibly Fortounis over Tachtsidis), but based on what I've seen and considering our options, I think this is probably as good a mix as Greece can put together. For me, Maniatis and Samaris are redundant given the quality we have at the back. Mantalos has good physique. He may not be big, but he's not small either. He's got decent pace and a good eye for a pass. He brings a more positive balance to our team. Torosidis doesn't have the legs for the wings anymore, especially in a 3-5-2 system. He has too much experience and quality to be left on the bench. I would much prefer him to Maniatis (who is just as much a RB converted to CM) or Samaris, who is far too often left needing direction from a fellow teammate, hence why we keep seeing Tziolis in the line-up. Samaris has eyes that only look as far as to what's directly in front of him and a mind of thought that extends no further than the given moment. To be frank, I've Sokratis shield the midfield more than then I've seen these two shield the defense!

Judging Skibbe's preferences, I see him lining up as follows in either a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 formation:

Kapinos

Torosidis---Manolas---Sokratis---Tzavellas/Holebas

Maniatis---Tziolis/Petsos---Samaris

Kone/Mantalos---Mitroglou---Fortounis

or

Kapinos

Torosidis---Manolas---Sokratis---Tzavellas/Holebas

Maniatis---Samaris

Kone---Fortounis---Mantalos

Mitroglou

Fernando Santos will probably be looking for job after Portugal go out to Belgium in the round of 16. Skibbe should be out after the Cyprus/Estonia game. Knowing the EPO, they'll hire Santos at Ranieri level wages.

I would take Santos back with open arms. Mavrias & Tzavellas seem to be next runners up for RB/LB in my mind as well.

Fortounis is automatic starter now, it's not just a form thing, he's hit a new level, and it was obvious he's been a class above our other CAM's for a year or two now.

Karnezis

Torosidis---Manolas-- KPaps---Sokratis---Holebas

Samaris

Fortounis---Mantalos

Karelis  -- Mitroglou

I'd do the above for now. 5-3-2. No one is going to score on us with that D and we can scrap at least a goal or two with that attack.

Subs Maniatis (RB/CDM) , Kone (CAM/CF), Tzavella (LB/CB)  These subs have great utility because they can play great in two or more positions.

If we're playing a five star team like a Belgium I'd reserve Karelis on the bench and put Maniatis in there too frustrate their midfield. Other than than that, our D is pretty robust without 2 CDM's if we have 3 CB's

Torisidis captain. Sokratis vice captain. Samaris 3rd captain,

Edited by georgelaz

In positions where the players fit the team best.

Front third ranked in order;

(Karelis plays as CF often with Genk with success)

CF:   1 K Mitro, 2 N Karelis, 3  A Vellios  4  D Diamantakos

RW:  1 D Pelkas  2 G Gianniotas  3 A Bakasetas  4  I Mystakidis

LW:   1  K Fortounis  2  J Cholevas  3  P Vlachodimos  4  L Christodoulopoulos/ P Kone   

Is this a fair rank of these players? If Fortounis is AM, then, we get alittle thin on the left. Cholevas can move fwd or Kosta can swap in matches with P Mantalos in the front third perhaps.

Edited by ausgreek

_____________________Mitroglou____________________Bakasetas__________Fortounis_________Gianniotas_____________Samaris__________Petsos______________Stafylidis_____Manolas________Sokratis_____Torosidis_____________________Karnezis

Mantalos switching with Fortounis accosionally, with Fortounis being played as a wide midfielder. Mantalos deserves to be in the starting 11, so this can be switched up. Also, wingers have been an issue, we've been plagued with wasted talent (a washed up 25 year old Fetfatzidis and 26 year old Ninis, 25 year old Vlachodimos, my gosh..). Bakasetas is an exciting prospect, and durin his time at AEK he'll develop very well IMO (Pugh Pugh Pugh), also Gianniotas had a great season at APOEL, and definetly looks like a better player. Let's just see if Olympiakos loan him out again...

Edited by Ethnikos

Ethno you controversial individual, I detect Skibbe's favoured 4 2 3 1 formation. you have Samaris, Petsos as D Mids and no Cholevas at LB  na poume. So Gianniotas at LW with Bakasetas on the right?

Hahah @ausgreek the wingers should be switched that's my bad. Cholevas is 31 I believe, it's better we start utilizing young talent now. Stafylidis has a lot of potential despite some poor performances. I would put Tzavellas ahead of Stafylidis, he's got a great freekick and is a solid defender, but discipline po po po

Also, I can't change my mind about Petsos and Samaris. Petsos looked amazing in the Montenegro friendly, and I believe he has already sealed his place in Skibbe's team.

Who would you rather play as CM\CDM? Tachtsidis?

tachtsidis is ok I guess, but I'd much rather have Kourbelis from Asteras. Tachtsidis' main trait is his through balls, but not too much other than that. Sometimes I feel like he's more concerned about ruining his hair than making a slide tackle. Once more, Tachtsidis is 25 and finds himself STILL rotting in Serie A. Kourbelis is younger, and since he's never been called up, I'd think he's hungrier because he's got something to prove. Kourbelis is only 22 and has 100 caps for Asteras. Tachtsidis on the other hand hasn't even hit 40 games for one club in his career, in fact he's played 167 professional games between 10 clubs in the space of 7 or 8 years. Thats like 15 games per season, with clubs like Cesena, Verona, and Grosseto

Edited by Ethnikos

I am under a spell and it is hard to shrug off, that being I'm alittle embarrassed to say, I'm inclined to play, THE MAN Maniatis!!!!!! - next to Samaris. Like Petsos in that capacity no doubt as he is sharp too.

Tachtsidis has a good passing range but I'm a fan of a player with speed so he to me is currently a squaddie. Kourbelis should superseed Taxi now against Netherlands.

Can the Ethnikoi start Bakasetas and Gianniotas on both wings, who plays left, you Naturalized Ethinko, whos opinion I rate??

Ruining one 's hairstyle can play on one's mind. To play at one's optimum, this is an area that requires good preparation.

Edited by ausgreek

In positions where the players fit the team best.

Front third ranked in order;

(Karelis plays as CF often with Genk with success)

CF:   1 K Mitro, 2 N Karelis, 3  A Vellios  4  D Diamantakos

RW:  1 D Pelkas  2 G Gianniotas  3 A Bakasetas  4  I Mystakidis

LW:   1  K Fortounis  2  J Cholevas  3  P Vlachodimos  4  L Christodoulopoulos/ P Kone   

Is this a fair rank of these players? If Fortounis is AM, then, we get alittle thin on the left. Cholevas can move fwd or Kosta can swap in matches with P Mantalos in the front third perhaps.

Fortounis is best as the no. 8 or no.10...

Vlaxodimos is miles away from NT call up...

pelkas and Mystakidis are not in contention at this point..

Interesting to see what Skibbe comes up with firstly against Ned, then against Gibbering Gibraltar. It may be best to play Fortounis as an 8 and that way Mantalos stays in the team as the 10. They can even play as two no. 10's some way.

• Like it 1

Fortounis often plays on the left wing for olympiakos. He's almost double footed and loves to cut in.

I think him and Mantalos should shift from CAM to Wingers as the game sees fit.

• Like it 1

neither of them are wingers...

Chori being benched for most of last season was partially due to Fortounis being better no.10 than winger.

Greece does not have a Chori.....

Seba, Pardo,Durmaz, Hernani played out wide..even Fuster.

The keys to Greece NT success moving forward will be the form of several players that need to take the next step.

Mavrias, Bouchalakis,Bakasetas from the younger crop.

Kone, Fetfa, Ninis,Taxi,Karelis  from the old tired and tested.

We have Karnezis, Toro,Holebas, Sokratis, Manolas, Samaris, Fortounis, Mitro. as certain starters...

Others may come out of the blue with good seasons...Vellios,Klaus,Diamantakos, Lykogiannis, Pelkas,Giannotas,

Players like K.Pap, Mandalos, Maniatis...are going to be in the mix and handy...

• Like it 1

Mitroglou should not be played by himself upfront. He needs a hard working, fast striker or attacking midfielder next to him to do the pressing.

All the more reason to play Karelis up there. I can't believe he's not being included on more lineups. He's the only striker we have who's actually...you know...struck.

• Like it 1

Mitroglou should not be played by himself upfront. He needs a hard working, fast striker or attacking midfielder next to him to do the pressing.

He just needs some incentive.  Offer him a paid for trip to Mykonos for each kilometer he runs and watch him go go go.

• Like it 1

All the more reason to play Karelis up there. I can't believe he's not being included on more lineups. He's the only striker we have who's actually...you know...struck.

Will be interesting to see how he develops (or doesn't) this season.  I'm hoping for big things from him because lord knows the rest of our attackers are for the tip.

Melbourne Victory in talks with Vangelis Moras How Excitement!! I'm still hopefull someone here in Oz signs Tziolis and Vyntra soon too.

Edited by ausgreek

I don't see why Greece doesn't play 3 at the back like Italy. It has worked so well for the Italians and both teams currently seem to have a similar makeup where their strength lies at the back. Greece's potential backline of Papadopoulos-Manolas-Sokratis would certainly be one of the most feared in Europe. Further, we have very offensive-minded fullbacks with midfield experience in Holebas and Torosidis, solid holding midfield centered around Samaris, and some capable offensive weapons in Fortounis and Mitroglou. 

I'd love to see this tried out before the WC campaign. 

Edited by Argy
  • Like it 1

Curious to see how Mavrias does with Sunderland this year as allardyce appears will give him a shot. I believe he can be a critical player for Greece as he is a complete winger. Does well with ball delivers some set pieces and tactically defends and covers well.

Hope he has a good season as that would provide another option with speed in the squad.

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic