Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

Toro would have to be in the back three then as Kyriako is still unavailable.

Karnezis/Kapino

Torosidis   Manolas  Sokratis

Mavrias/Bakasetas/Kitsiou        Samaris          Maniatis       Stafylidis

Mantalos

Fortounis            Mitroglou

Edited by ausgreek

Curious to see how Mavrias does with Sunderland this year as allardyce appears will give him a shot. I believe he can be a critical player for Greece as he is a complete winger. Does well with ball delivers some set pieces and tactically defends and covers well.

Hope he has a good season as that would provide another option with speed in the squad.

sunderland is looking to sell mavrias for the last 2 seasons now . his contract almost expires(maybe in 2 months or so). sunderland is out of the picture. he failed there and  almost only played in their u21 squad and didnt get alot of chances to redeem himself. the last half season he was on loan for dusseldorf where he was mostly a starter. they want to keep him and made a offer to him but sunderland said it was to low. anyway its vital for him to find a club where he can play alot. sadly he got some wasted years behind him.

Lucas Villafanez 24, is an Argentine, played U20's for them, who through his maternal great grandfather who was from Piraeus. He can play for Greece, once he sorts out his passport,  and he has expressed a desire to do so.

An attacking mid playing at Panathanaikos.

what do you guys think of klonaridis? He's got pace in spades, and a good finisher too. Loves playing on the wings too.

I saw 4-5 games of his which he performed well. Can't judge his whole season performance though.

him and gianniotas/fetfatzidis can be our wingers in time if they get their s%$#! together.

whatever happened to Kaltas? He fizzled at PAO but was killing it at his previous club.

It seems we have great wingers/attacking mids at a young level that never bloom as much as our defensive players.

I blame Europe personally for this.

They view the Greek DNA as defensive so they only invest in our defense for the most part.

Whereas they look to South American DNA for attack eg) Brazil, Argentina.

Edited by georgelaz

Similar stats to Karelis, Second stiker, winger, 23 years old, 178cm height, has speed. He can play LW so I hope Skibbe brings him in for a shot. Need natural goal scorers.  

Holevas as a lw is a waste to me. He has good strength to defend and he was the pace to get into LW position when he sees fit. He doesn't need to be lodged up there. When his pace begins to decline tho, might be a good idea to move him from LB to LW cause his offensive abilities are savage.

^the thing with stafylidis is that he is still to unreliable and inconsitent wich you can see at back at his club level performances where he is starting this day but the week after he is on the bench. for me he is nr3 left back after holebas and tzavellas. he is still not there yet. to dangerous having him starting in the wc qualifiers. im not saying that holebas and tzavellas are great but they are more reliable then stafylidis defending wise at least.

international games is a man's game not a boy game. I said I had a good feelings about Portugal this tourny because their players are in that 27-32 sweet spot range for international success.

England played 19 years olds (Ali) and early 20s (Kane, Dier). And the choked. The pressure that every game counts take an experienced player and the portugese have been the same team for while now so their chemistry is uncanny.

much like portugal, we should stick to our tried and true unless someone is a no-brainer eg) the 19 year old ronaldo in euro 2004.

if santos was still our coach we'd still have Katsouranis, Maniatis, Gekas, Samaras starting and playing most minutes. Along with Holebas, Torosidis, Sokratis, Karnezis, Mitroglou, Samaris. Fortounis would have been the new addition.

People would bitch and complain that we're playing old-timers but we would make it to euro 2016 and possibly get to a quarter or semi final.

that's the thing, is was too many key changes. we had a winning formula and if you want to improve a winning formula you gotta be careful not to F*** up the success you already have! The only switch that should've been made was Kone/Fortounis for Karagounis in retrospect.

Katsouranis and Gekas were fully intending on making euro 2016 their retirement tourny but Ranieri came and tried to revolutionize something that was already working and left our team in shambles.

Edited by georgelaz

Yep , it plays a big part. The Belgians have it easy since they made it in the far round sof this and the previous National Tournaments. 
The only ones im really afraid of from the Belgium Team are Hazard, Nainggolan and De bruyne. Nothing much in defence, nothing much the rest.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

My maaate, skinny Stavro from Marrickville Olympic fc, told me that Greece are gonna beat Belgium 1-0. One of 2 Kostas are going to score. Belgium are going to have some shots on goal but miss most, while some shots will be saved by the keeper. Wonder if Oresti will be back otherwise the keeper will be Stefano, which is just fine.

this team has so many questions marks. part of me thinks we can even make it to a world cup quarter final. the other part of me is fearful that we might even flop this qualifying. I haven't seen any convincing changes made to the team since our botched euro campaign.

but, what does this mean? 

0-0 with belgium having 61% possession, 14 attempts at goal, 6 on target...greece having 39% possession, 4 attempts at goal, 0 on target? that just tells me that belgium were unlucky and didn't wear their shooting boots against a poor greece.

That didnt tell u the same when we were kicked from Costa Rica, When we drew to finland , when we lost to faroe islands , when we didnt win romania on first leg, when we drew hungary on 2nd leg. Did it ?

Only  players that are worthy of starting at this time are : Karnezis, Manolas/K.Paps , Sokratis, Holebas, Torosidis , Samaris , Fortounis , Mitroglou/Karelis. we have 3 players missing , which is either 2 wingers and a midfielder , either 2 extra midfielders and a Second Striker.

Worthy of a call up so far apart form the other 10 mentioned are , Kapino, Tachtsidis, Petsos, Mantalos, Vellios, Maniatis, Bakasetas, Gianniotas, Kone , Pelkas, Kitsiou , Tzavellas, , Stafylidis, The last 3 are not exactly players I like and have seen them having impact , but its just that we have noone else. 8 good players in good leagues (Fortounis obviously going to leave i guess) should be enough to help this team work under Skibbe. He seems to have worked on the team. Lets hope his players agree.

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic