Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

I think he and Stafylidis had 2 good games. I just think is Stafylidis going to live up to it because Tzavellas is not that fast to play LB. Holebas has one season in him after that I'm not sure how he will be.

Edited by Dean97

In international football, there is never a good time for a rebuild. You are constantly playing qualifiers between major tournaments. It does suck watching a major tournament, but I think that the younger generation (myself included) have not really experienced international football without Greece present. World cup 2006 is the only realy tourney I watched without us present, Euro 2000 I was only 6 and can't recall a thing. World cup 2002 i was starting to follow football but I had no idea about the qualifying proccess and all that, so I just watched and cheered against Turkey. Then at 10 (Still not fully into football and having no real knowledge of qualifying) Greece goes and wins the Euro. Myself along with a whole generation of young Greeks, (especially overseas) think oh s%$#! Greece must be a gun team. Not fully apperciating where the ethniki had come from and having no real knowledge of our minimal and poor history in major tournaments. 

The point is, any dip in form at NT level is gonna result in you missing a tournament, especially one as bad that we have experienced over the last 2 years.

You were 6 in 2000. F--k me, I was 28. The first tournament I remember was 1982 in Spain. 1986 was the ultimate, hands down. I can tell you know that from then till 2004 they were grim years for the Ethniki, very grim. We routinely copped some bad floggings. The vivid memory I have of 2004 is when the final whistle blew and people were shouting, hugging, celebrating, I just stared at a childhood friend of mine who I grew up with (his only flaw is that he support Panathinakos) following the NT and we just laughed. It was so surreal. So yeah missing out sucks, it really really sucks and I hope it never happens again, but the NT has come a long way.

• Like it 1

I really wish I was a bit older when Greece won the Euro, I was 5. I obviously didn't follow football but I lived in a pretty Greek neighbourhood and I remember people dancing on cars :D Also, people went bananas down in the Danforth

Edited by Ethnikos

Perhaps Ethniki is best served then with Mantalos as AM, and a roving Fortounis as a right winger.. Who goes left, Cholevas, Pelkas, Bakasetas, Karelis or Kone? At least the big  name players that missed these matches will be available for Ned and Russia matches. That should be good preparation for them, on top of these. Is KPaps available as noboby in the world really knows?

Mantalos's goal was so quick, he struck like a leopard. That quality is something fierce. 

You got it all wrong by the way. Fortounis has played winger at the past but as a Left one. Pelkas and Bakasetas could be used as Right Wingers. But Fortounis is a much better AM than mandalos. both can play if we have one forward only. but id prefer both karelis and mitro up on the front.

• Like it 1

I think CAM is one of the few positions where we're really blessed. We can literally play any of Fortounis, Ninis, Mantalos, Pelkas, Fetfatzidis, Tachtsidis, Kone, or Lazaros. All good to decent choices in my view, although some excel better at different roles.

Lazaros is a joke.

Fetfa , Taxi no proper AMs.

Fortounis > Mantalos > Pelkas = Kone > Ninis right now

However I ve said this before. Paok has ulilized Pelkas as a Right winger a lot lately. saw them do that in many matches during the play offs.

- - - - - - Mitroglou- - - - - - - 

-Karelis- - - - - - - - -Pelkas-

- - - - - -Fortounis- - - - - - - 

this attack could be decent if we desperatelly need wingers.

Otherwise, as I proposed earlier. we cold have something without wings like this:

- - -Karelis- - -Mitroglou- - - 

- - Fortounis - - Mantalos - - 

On the assumption Mitroglou does run a lot on high press, who is the astute understudy,Karelis or Klaus then with their speed?

I was engaged back when Hellas won the Euro and I went to Brighton in Sydney with my best man then and Bay Street was shut with three massive screens on different buildings and the whole main road was chock full of supporters. I parked blocks away and we walked up. It was about 1;45am. I wore the souvenir champions t shirt the other night again when Greece played the Melbourne match the other night. No I didn't get fat.

Hellas are too good not to make the next big tournament, I believe we have a definite strong team with good back up. The team gives the impression that it started to settle since the Turkey game and more so lately.

Edited by ausgreek

One of the things that impressed many in the Australia match (1-2) was the pressing we did... Does Mitroglou do that well? I don't think so, so I hope he comes and is prepared to run his ass off

Thus the conundrum.  If Mitroglou doesn't run, either someone else has to do his running for him, or a hole appears in the tactics.  That Mitroglou is a better striker than Vellios currently in positioning, finishing and general vision is beyond dispute.  But, the problem is the team has to adapt to him, rather the other way around.

Thus the conundrum.  If Mitroglou doesn't run, either someone else has to do his running for him, or a hole appears in the tactics.  That Mitroglou is a better striker than Vellios currently in positioning, finishing and general vision is beyond dispute.  But, the problem is the team has to adapt to him, rather the other way around.

Why are we implying that Vellios was running though ? Both MItro and Vellios are a same type of striker.

Mitroglou is more a low work rate striker. He's almost a heavyweight at 6'2 200lbs.

He works best when he bides his energy and get into good positions. Hence why we keep saying he needs a good attacking mid.

If you want a runner, that's where Karelis comes in. He has a high work rate but lower potency than Mitroglou aka Mr. Mykonos lol

To those calling for Pelkas - Mistakidis is much better. Less flash, more substance.

You were 6 in 2000. F--k me, I was 28. The first tournament I remember was 1982 in Spain. 1986 was the ultimate, hands down. I can tell you know that from then till 2004 they were grim years for the Ethniki, very grim. We routinely copped some bad floggings. The vivid memory I have of 2004 is when the final whistle blew and people were shouting, hugging, celebrating, I just stared at a childhood friend of mine who I grew up with (his only flaw is that he support Panathinakos) following the NT and we just laughed. It was so surreal. So yeah missing out sucks, it really really sucks and I hope it never happens again, but the NT has come a long way.

Ugh you're so old and ugly

• Like it 1

To those calling for Pelkas - Mistakidis is much better. Less flash, more substance.

+1

Ugh you're so old and ugly

Not so!  I'd post a pic of myself to prove the point, but I don't want you getting excited.  Who knows what your crazy imagination will conjure up ?

• Like it 1

I just saw some highlights of Pelkas he is very impressive. He is like Fetfatzidis but Fetfatzidis is better. But in my opinion Pelkas is a better finisher and can score some wonder goals.

Edited by Dean97

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic