Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

I agree with RS. There is no evidence that we lack training. If your not taking drugs its very hard to build muscle. Plus where is the evidence that we are physically inferior? Since when has Ethniki been out-muscled?

In terms of not being fit I disagree there too. Our style makes up chase the ball like headless chickens while the other team just effortlessly passes it around.

• Like it 1

I don't disagree that we are not training hard enough...

but our NT players play in Serie A, Bundesliga, Belgium ,Portugal ....

and there are other factors why our club results have been less than spectacular...

not surprisingly..OSFP has been getting their regular 9,10 pts in UCL for several years..which is good historically for teams of this level....so no drop off even though the bar has been raised.

Tripoli showed last season how a well organized club can be very competitive

• Like it 1

Iceland and Hungary are poor teams in reality...our players overall domestically or abroad overall play generally at a higher standard,,

@aek66

regarding torosodis ...not sure how often you watched him in his last 1-2 years at osfp?

he had regressed considerably from his days in 2008-12...I reckon a move to serie A in 2009/10 and roma would have a different product...

by 2013 he was not the dominant GSL star with all the bells and whistles...  

you may argue it was fitness and Greek training?   maybe? possibly a factor...but he was 27 ..I put it down to his greek gene in his brain..

I thin Karelis was very average in PAO week in week out..He seems more settled at Genk?

sorry.....I was surprised you even mentioned Maniatis......(thought you were being sarcastic about Karelis build)

Maniatis has been on the outer with real OSFP fans....for a while

I think his destroyer tag comes more with his Syrian beard and strange stare......

unfair to rate his form in Belgium......he left GSL with no club form and a serious knee injury and a poor season prior to that....

I would have been worried if we packaged him off to the Belgians as our most in form GSL star and a midfielder that was the combination of stoltidis/Basinas/ Zagorakis ...

The Belgians took a punt on an injured former Greek NT player....

Karelis struggled in Russia..  his build was very similar as a youngster at Ergotelis...I don't think he exploded in that 10 months in the snow..

Our fitness is not our main problem and it's not the reason we Suck right now. The reason we suck and we are getting out played is do to mainly not sticking to a certain style of play which causes confusion, trying out to many different combination of players therefore lack of chemistry, no confidence, and going through 3 coaches and an intern coach in less then a year, plus let's not forget losing a few of our veterans like samaras and Kara which hurt us.

As I was painting the avga kokkiva, to Pasxa last year, I briefly thought I could of been watching the Euros featuring the ethniki. Not to be, I hope we make World cup. Need to get our s**** together. They can't accuse us of having an old squad this time. Massive turnover of coaches and players recently.

Edited by ausgreek

As I was swinging the komboloi, was thinking, with EPL not on Foxtel, there is going to be the intro of Setanta (under some other name) as a replacement, showing all the next Euros. I'm pissed at the fact I could be watching Hellas go around on Fox. Wonder if Greece games will be showing at times. Now, been getting squat na poume. Government involvement can hijack all this nonetheless.

Hope the two matches go ahead here. It's like a second home-coming when Hellas come to town. They get spoilt rotten, just about kidnapped to miss their flights.

If Skibbe continues with the 3 4 3 formation, it will mean the end of Torotsidis soon. Holebas will get the jack of it too eventually. These guys are doing extra miles tracking fwd and back even more than box to box midfielder. Toro injecting himself on occasion into the game is now a changed role of hurry up re!.  Might pay to have Bakakis hanging around a lot more.

• Like it 1

On paper we have a group of players good enough to vie for a play-off spot and possibly qualify for the finals, but the mood among the players dampens my expectations, while Skibbe, Tsanas and the EPO inspire no confidence in me.

1789. I'd be curious about your starting 11 at this current point in time. I remember really liking a lot of your ideas. Eg) Free roaming Kpaps, high pressing CB's etc.

everyone is too harsh on the friendlies. Germany lost to England for fuq sake and noone gave a damn. They knew Rudiger,Hector and Khedira was a starter. Why do we have to bitch about losing to Iceland ? a team that topped their Euro Group over Netherlands Turkey and czech repub ? 

Manolas was not there , Sokratis was not there , even K. Paps ( our first sub CB) wasnt there. Holebas was playing winger, aka not in defence (which was actually sweet but). Our only first tier defender was Torosidis and I saw him up front more than back. Even our players on position 6 werent the proper ones, in none games

4 goals in 2 matches. and 10 more chances that could have ended with a goal in total.

Our offence is literally starting to pick their sh!et up. Thats the only thing you can figure from these 2 friendlies. Karelis grew up and changed from winger to SS, Mitroglou found his form at benfica. We finally got a fortounis who has the brains of Katsouranis apparently. We got back ups who can also play wider with the names Pelkas and Mantalos. Vellios is awesome , no goal but cant juge him over his first 90 minutes with the NT. 

Currently for the qualifiers the NT , rosterwise only , we have  a problem in 2-3 positions out of the total 11.
1. Goalkeeper. Noone disagrees here.
2. 6ari. I never thought id come to say this but , we need Maniatis as a kofti. He needs to find his previous form.
3. 8ari. We ll have to pick between Samaris and Tachtsidis and Tziolis.
4. Wingers. We have none , we should play with just 2 strikers and put an extra player at midfield , who could play wide but still , we might end up in a game where some wingers would be decend, Ex vs bosnia whose L/R backs are some no namers. Bad thing , our wingers are no namers as well (Kaltsas,Lazaros) so theres no point to do that.

Tziolis provides nothing. Tachtsidis is slow and defensively is not that good. Samaris is good enough to be the 8ari. I agree about Maniatis. I like the idea about Torosidis and Holebas as wingbacks pushing forward alot. Also Petsos should be ahead of Tziolis.

The real problem we have to worry about is Manolas. We all know how good he is and i am a fan this player. Sokratis is our best player. Kyriakos i can count on. He always turns it on for Greece. I think Manolas thinks his so good that he gets caught out when playing for Greece. 

I always wish the best for Greek players, i always want Greeks in anything to make us proud and do well and these past few years Manolas has been the most improved player out of all Greeks. Also in my opinion its safe to say Sokratis and Manolas are our World Class players.  Im very patriotic and i am a very proud Greek and i want Greece to be a superpower not just in football but in everything thats how proud and patriotic i am.

I can tell you in the 2014 World Cup Manolas suprised at how good he played and what he can do. This is my order of who made me think what a player they are.

1.Manolas ( Just shocked me at the way he defended and won so many areial duels but i knew what he was capable of from Olympiakos but at the World Cup he was king.)

2.Kone ( This guy looked way above everyone else in my opinion looked like the real spark for our team in attack.)

3.Lazaros/Samaris ( Lazaros showed everyone how well he can dribble past players.) Samaris completely shocked me with the way the goal he scored when he came on.)

These 4 have serious talent and should be the players that should of carried this team in Euro Qualifiers. But they didnt.

The only player that i can say that did well and was better than everyone else was Sokratis. He tried to carry this team by himself this shows you how much he cares and the passion he has for his country. 

All in all if Manolas does not pick up his NT form i say we give the spot to Papadopoulos.

Edited by Dean97
  • Like it 2

If Kyriakos is forever injured, like always, who takes over from Manolas? Manolas has dubbed himself a big match player, except he is not firing then either, so, he is dubbed by me as a big head player.

Our best attacking mids are Fortounis & Fetfatzidis. But since Fetfa plays in Arabia, Mantalos is the next best option.

Best forwards are Mitroglou and Karelis. Velios is 3rd imo

tbh I'd still play fetfa even though he's in Arabia. The top Saudi teams are almost as good as the top Greek teams now. Not kidding.

Edited by georgelaz

The coach has been playing Stafylidis or Petsos in the last couple of matches alongside Samaris. The cofti therefore was who? Samaris has been on the right and Stafy on the left. I don't think Skibbe will bring back Maniati or start with Tzioli.

If you type a name on search engine then type transfermkt, you can look up what players primary positions are and their secondary. Samaris, Tachtsidis, Petsos, Tzioli, and Maniatis are all DM-primarily. Skibbe must choose 2 of these 5 guys for that role, and bring in CM players for CM. .Also, when the formation goes back to 4 5 1, Toro goes back to RB. Can't see him displace say Vellios at RW, like that article suggested for Toro. 

Edited by ausgreek

On paper we have a group of players good enough to vie for a play-off spot and possibly qualify for the finals, but the mood among the players dampens my expectations, while Skibbe, Tsanas and the EPO inspire no confidence in me.

Qualify for the finals??? Of what the World Cup?? Please tell me you're not serious. As of right now we might have the players to some how squeak through to the World Cup ahead of Bosnia but even that will be a large task and probably not realistic at this point. If I misunderstood you then I apologize, but Greece does not have have the players on paper to qualify for the finals of the World Cup. No where close.

Edited by J1078

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic