Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

Don't forget Petsos just signed with werder Bremen.

that's huge. I can see him getting a lot of game time there. That's basically where Sokratis solidified  and developed himself further as a player who can dominate abroad.

I agree with Rockafeller We need to stop using the Hungary game as an example of how we won't to play. Yes we were good offensively but as a whole our team game sucked. We conceded 3 goals to a sub par team, using this game as a blue print of how we want to play is not a good idea. I am still hesitant of using taxi and Samaris together I haven't seen enough with these 2 as a duo.

i think kone would be a great sub if we need a goal. maybe a starter if he's in form. he makes devastating runs into the box and scores quite often from that (i.e like that goal he scored against hungary).  one of the reasons that greece does not score too many goals is because the midfielders don't make such runs and join the attack. i'd play him cam or cf (behind the striker)

also, since we lack wingers, perhaps we should consider putting fortounis there? even kaltsas might deserve a call up soon. 

Good points allround by the posters. If though, Samaris isn't a good partner for Tachtsidis, where is the evidence that someone else can do better as either DM or at Midfield? Samaris and Taxi were never given a decent chance as a combination before. They did v. Hungary and it went well. Taxi was a runaway man of the match,. If it has to be tweaked again, that means obviously that Samaris is sub par. That furthermore means, we are obviously asking for Kourbelis, Petsos or Maniatis. I don't think anyone can do better atm at DM. At least they deserve two more goes at it. For those with long memories,Taxi was a runaway train through the middle on that day, so was Pelkas for that matter.

I believe all the defenders didn't play and one of the Hungary goals was through a plasticine Samaris cover defensive effort unfortunately. I'll forgive him on that one as he played quite well overall. 

Mitroglou    

Karelis      Fortounis  Fetfatzidis

Tachtsidis      Samaris

Holebas   Manolas  Sokratis Torosidis

Karnezis

Would love to see this lineup if Fetfa gets his s%$#! together. lineup with wingers

Karelis as a winger is a lie. The guy is considered very fast, but i dont remember him being able to easily surpass (talking about acceleration only , not shiny triples or running with the ball) any finnish or Faroe Island player. He is not a winger , or at least the PAO managed to ruin him and make him a striker that works well with another striker (aka berg). We dont have wingers , Fetfatzidis never tried training to power up his shot , many opportunities go wasted just coz he is bored to work. Karelis off position 2 seasons and Kaltsas is too early to consider him a decend winger.

Thankfully Skibbe played both friendlies without wingers, hope the next friendlies show something similar. Id prefer either 2 more Midfielders in the likes of Maniatis, Petsos Kone or Pelkas.

The whole fuss about Pelkas,  I talked about this iin the PAOK forum and I think noone gave attention to me. I havent seen many assists/goals from him since like September. What happened ? I also see he gets benched a lot.

• Like it 1

Pelkas plays most games for us. He does have talent but needs work. At times he can be a little too selfsh and try to do too much on his own. He is not a winger, he's an attacking midfielder, play him in behind the striker. He's not starting XI material yet for the ethniki, he should probably be making the 23's but with guys like Kone and Fortouni ahead of him in the pecking order I don't see him starting as the "dekari" at least to start the qualifiers off anyways. As we go his form with us and what he shows coming off the bench for the NT will dictate him starting or not

• Like it 1

you guys are probably right. The winger lineup with karelis and fetfa would be my fifa lineup tho haha

it seems that the starting lineup is becoming more clear though

Mitroglou

Kone    

Fortounis 

Tachtsidis      Samaris

Holebas   Manolas KPaps  Sokratis Torosidis

Karnezis

It's hard to argue leaving any of the above out of the lineup. All have a decent amount of caps and are performing well at club level.

We Also have a robust bench

• Like it 1

In my superleague X1 I put Karelis as LW and the swede as RW. they worked pretty well , but probably only at the game :P

who would you put in striker ahead of Berg? He's the best striker by far. Pardo the best RW.

As of right now I don't want to see Karelis as one of our starters. Pelkas I'm open to seeing more of but he's still unproven. Taxi and Samaris still worry me together but it's worth giving them a chance to see if they can build chemistry together I guess considering our options. Kone needs to be a starter, Fourtinis is a given and mitro has to be up front for us even though he hasnt performed for us in the last year or so. Fetfa and Ninis need to step up and earn a spot because they have been under performing for the NT and Ninis is running out of chances. I still think he has a lot more to give.

Edited by J1078

How people throw around random flash in the pan players at times. My random flash in the pan choice would be Klonaridis. Kid has flair. He's way too unproven and barely starts for PAO for me to seriously vouch for him though.

But he's super fast and has a nice shot.

How people throw around random flash in the pan players at times. My random flash in the pan choice would be Klonaridis. Kid has flair. He's way too unproven and barely starts for PAO for me to seriously vouch for him though.

But he's super fast and has a nice shot.

1 OR 2 coaches at lille (wont even bother checking how many coaches lille changed while he was there) didn't ven play him

2 coaches at PAO , 1 of them barely used him when the roster was totally terrible , and the second benches him 

3-4 people didnt trust him to play as RW not even a position at offence, not defence when solid people with good choises are needed. He is fast , he got a shot , but still not wanted as a starter at a position like that. So he must be doing something terrible.

I agree...

however I can see him being useful with his speed when we struggle to score and open up the minnows....

a dribble here or there and a burst of speed.....means you may go 1-0, 2-0  up very early vs. one of the minnows...can change the whole mood of the team...

can't see him doing much v bigger opponents..

Klonaridis weaknesses is he has poor passing for a winger/left mid (should be better) and he lacks strength, gets pushes off very easy.

but yeah his speed and he can score from his shot a decent amount

he's a waste of space in the staring 11 for the ethiniki tho, we have better plays for now

I'm still worried that in this campaign we are still going to be juggling our lines trying to find combinations that work just like we did in our last campaign. I hope Skibbe try's a few things out and then just sticks with a line up and works with the guys he believes in. I think if we are still unsure of our line up going into the start of the World Cup campaign then I think we will be in trouble.

• Like it 1

We should play to our strengths and I believe the boys will slowly gel as a team. Some kleftiko football, solid at the back and exploit the counters and set plays imo. That is the style that suits us.

I think the family dynamic is important. for a world cup campaign I think 33 players max should be called up. The actual world cup requires 23 final selections.

players the mesh with the culture create something that's great than the individual parts. players with bad attitudes ruin the whole vibe of the locker room. just like in the euro, there were players who were arguably good enough to be in the starting 11 that weren't picked because they didn't go with the culture of the team eg) Stoltidis, Georgatos, Zikos etc.

Not sure who these bad apples are in the current lot, some people suggested Holebas, but he's been the better of our players imo for the ethiniki.

I'm still worried that in this campaign we are still going to be juggling our lines trying to find combinations that work just like we did in our last campaign. I hope Skibbe try's a few things out and then just sticks with a line up and works with the guys he believes in. I think if we are still unsure of our line up going into the start of the World Cup campaign then I think we will be in trouble.

2 Friendlies in March

2 Friendlies in June vs Australia

1 Friendly with Russia

AND THEN the qualifiers start.

He literally has the whole season to decide which players he can come up with , and thats a good sign because he probably thus wont call players whose form is top for 1 month. I trust the Germans. I dont know who was more successfull before joining our NT Otto , or Skibbe , but I hope I see similarities.

• Like it 1

I think the family dynamic is important. for a world cup campaign I think 33 players max should be called up. The actual world cup requires 23 final selections.

players the mesh with the culture create something that's great than the individual parts. players with bad attitudes ruin the whole vibe of the locker room. just like in the euro, there were players who were arguably good enough to be in the starting 11 that weren't picked because they didn't go with the culture of the team eg) Stoltidis, Georgatos, Zikos etc.

Not sure who these bad apples are in the current lot, some people suggested Holebas, but he's been the better of our players imo for the ethiniki.

I heard a rumour about Georgatos. It sais that Otto said , Georgaos go play Extrem, and his answer was :

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic