Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

You Aektzides are funny. Last year in December you were making a huge fush over the call up of Aravidis in Ethniki, talking about the most in form Striker etc. 

This year AEL's player Maroukakis has played all 13 Football League games and has scored 9 times during them , and apparently , this year football league doesn't even exist for you.

^i get what you are saying but the way I look at it is this, I think it's fair to ASSUME Belgium will take the first spot as they are better then any of the teams in our group, so that leaves us and Bosnia and maybe Cyprus, but let's focus on Bosnia, Bosnia will go in ahead of us on goals for remember it's not head to head in the World Cup its goal differential. Bosnia will with out a doubt double us on goal scoring which will automatically put them ahead. We have to be honest with our selves as much as it SUCKS, but Bosnia would never lose to the FI in a qualifier both times they played them know matter which players they start, or end up losing to Luxembourg. We might have the pieces on Defense I recognize that but we are not a very good team at all. Let's not forget this isn't something new with this team as we would barely squeeze out 1-0 wins against minnows for as long as I can remember with such a small margin of victories against those teams now the tide has turned and the minnows are squeezing out similar outcomes against us. The only thing we had going for us was our rock solid defense that was allowing us to barely get victories and if we couldn't score then we new it would be a goalless draw. Those times are long gone as the tide has changed on this team. Just my opinion I really hope I'm wrong.

According to their achievements we cant rate the team bad. They spent about 10 years being in the top 15 or top 20 maybe of the world, they are without a doubt , not a bad team. If you ask me , we have a better team offensively than before. And Im not talking about just the last game against Hungary , where Pelkas,  Fortounis , Mantalos , showed great character. Karelis , Mitroglou , are a totally different type of player than what Samaras, Salpigidis were. They had the job done , maybe cause of luck , maybe because of weaker opponents , but they had it done , but I still believe that our current forwards , area level higher.

Samaras could keep ball until the midfield got up front to score , but honestly , how many times did he fail trying to pass 2-3 players ? How many attacks that could be continued to a

• Like it 1

You Aektzides are funny. Last year in December you were making a huge fush over the call up of Aravidis in Ethniki, talking about the most in form Striker etc.

This year AEL's player Maroukakis has played all 13 Football League games and has scored 9 times during them , and apparently , this year football league doesn't even exist for you.

Because Aravidis had 20 goals in 22 games including goals against Atromitis Kerkyra and Olympiakos who were all super league teams

Aravidis scored against Olympiakos in March. You were crying for his call up before that .Also , your team costed and had much better and talented players than the current AEL material , meaning he doesnt get any boost from his midfielders as a striker , maybe its evne the opposite. Not judging the guy, might be totally bad , might actually be good , we ll soon find out, but im just making it clear that your achievements last year was a total joke that not even you care anymore.

I say we start all of our young talent for the next World Cup and start to give them experience. We have nothing to lose there's is no way we are qualifying for the World Cup and come out of our group. I don't think we will qualify for the next euro so why not take this time to slowly get rid of the aging players and just go with a young team. I know there's guys out here that think we have a chance to qualify for the World Cup but that's just guys thinking with there hearts instead of there heads. Since we won't qualify for a major tournament at least for the next 4 years whe have nothing to lose.

And who are all of these young players???

if you believe we are gone for the next 5 years.....what is the plan???

play Vellios at 23 knowing he is not  better than a 27 yo Mitro...in the hope that he is better for the 2022 WC qualifiers when he will be 30????

you play the best, able, in form players for the ethiniki.

there's no room, or time to develop potential for the internationals.

at best, there's about 12 games played a year internationally.

the nagging about selections are a bit over exaggerated IMO.

Aravidis looked more convincing last year, I don't think it was a b league thing, i think it's a form thing.

Klaus isn't looking so hot this year either. whatever.

the only time a player is 21 and locks a starting position is when they're clearly the best for the team.

eg) C ronaldo, G Bale

for ethiniki Sotiris Ninis when he was in form, he has quite a few caps if you look at his resume. he's not as convincing these days, and therefore gets less games.

Edited by georgelaz
  • Like it 1

yes...

we have either euro or WC qualifiers every calendar year.....

we have enough young/er/ish players in our best 20-25...

Kapino, Kitsiou, Stafyllidis, Manolas, K.Pap Fortounis, Pelkas, Mandalos, Taxi, Petsos, Giannotas, Fountas, Kolovos ,Karelis

there will always be room for impressive club form by players like Diamantakos, Oikonomou., Vellios, Kourbelis., Bouchalakis....etc...

even Ninis,Fetfa, Klonaridis etc...

ok...there's 20+ names in a two minute dribble...

without mentioning players in their peak/prime...Mitro, Samaris, Holebas, Karnezis, Sokratis,

Edited by RED SHERIFF
  • Like it 1

Come on guys pound for pound we are better then Bosnia? Based on what? We were also better than every other team in our group on paper. What have you seen in this last year that indicates to you we are better then Bosnia? Can anyone here tell me that if Bosnia was in our group they wouldnt have won our group hands down. This is definitely Bosnia and Belgiums group to lose not ours.

Edited by J1078
  • Like it 1

Come on guys pound for pound we are better then Bosnia? Based on what? We were also better than every other team in our group on paper. What have you seen in this last year that indicates to you we are better then Bosnia? Can anyone here tell me that if Bosnia was in our group they wouldnt have won our group hands down. This is definitely Bosnia and Belgiums group to lose not ours.

The have 3 great players in CM (Pjanic) and Striker (Dzeko) and Goalkeeper. If they get an injury to just one of their 3 players, they're screwed.

It's a team game. Karnezis, Manolas, Sokratis, Samaris, Holebas, Mitroglou will all be in their prime.

I'd be more surprised if our fortune doesn't change for the greater rather than continues in the slump. The ethiniki is like the economy. It goes up and down, but will probably be on the up and up. Eg) We won the Euro 2004, then missed the World Cup 2006.

I'm not blindly optimistic by default. When Olympiakos had Arsenal by the balls, I predicted Arsenal would rally. Even though I would've loved Oly to progress. I want PAO to win the league, but I know we don't have the quality to top Olympiakos barring EXTREME luck. The ethiniki however is a GREAT team. We've seen flashes of this, rallying to score the 4 goals vs. hungary. Keeping Turkey scoreless when they've scored EVERY game the past 2 years and they were out for blood.

This botched euro campaign may just be the emotional fuel and chip on our proverbial shoulders to make it a great world cup campaign. It's not that outrageous of a prediction.

Vellios is worse than Mitroglou ? We simply can't know mate. Vellios got his first good signing at a much younger age than Mitroglou did. Mitroglou , I agree , is not bad . Might actually be a real goal machine , but our current formation with the Greeks we have , behind him doesnt seem to work. Id say play them both , they are 2 totally different players who can easily work together , like how Karelis and Berg work, but the opposite formation. Berg plays slightly better from Karelis. Berg is very slow and not so moving in the field , while Karelis is fast. Berg is also an excellent finisher. Berg plays slightly behind Karelis if i have understood the PAO scheme correctly.

Now, what we can do with Vellios and Mitroglou is the same thing , but maybe opposite. Keep Vellios slightly behind , who is fast and can run for kinda bad crosses, but can also shoot, and keep Mitroglou terma panw , for finishing.  Vellios linked to Olympiakos after only like 10 matches, he s done something worth noticing.

if people think the 'Greek Mentality' is bad. Look at any former Yugoslavian teams and we look like Japanese engineers in comparison lol

Serbia MASSIVELY underachieves for their talent. Croatia might be the only exception.

However, not going out from the group they had at WC 14 and Euro 12 , i wouldnt say its a huge thing. (to be honest their euro 12 group was the hardest possible since they had both finalists , but Im implying that they are underachieving as well based on talent)

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

^ I think we need to see the outcome of all of our friendlies leading into the World Cup campaign before we can even try to predict how many wins we need. If our outcomes continue to be shitty in our friendlies leading up to the start of our campaign then there is no chance in HELL of us making it. I personally think we have no shot as it is but I will use the friendlies and what I see as a measuring stick to see if we can gain back our form.

Every post of his is dripping with that negative Greek mentality. He speaks of Bosnia as if they are Brazil of 1982.

I'm sick of this backward peasant mentality. Yes, we are in a bad period in the Ethniki's history but constant posts like his is tiring.

Free to post what he likes but I'm calling dumb irrelevant posts out.

• Like it 1

^Buddy what the hell are you talking about?? How are you going to be positive right now when the team is at its all time low and over the last 2 years has consistantly lost to horrible teams. I speak like "Bosnia is Brazil" I'm sorry when did that happen? I'm simply making a point that if we lost to teams like Irlenad, Finland,Farore,Lux, then yes Bosnia should have no problem beating us. And Im Sorry because I need to see how the team plays in there next matches leading up to the World Cup campaign before I start getting excited about the team is "Typical retarded Greek mentality"? Buddy you can start planning the parade and buying tickets to the World Cup but I think I will wait and see how the team does and what improvements if any they make leading up to September. I'm still very confused how wanting to see the team start to play better ball before I get excited is "Typical retarded Greek Mentality" lol

^ I understand what you are saying and I'm not trying to be negative for the sake of being negative. If Akritis wants to call me a peasant for my post more power to him. I think a lot of us were shocked and upset from what we've seen from this team and we are getting some of our frustration out via the form. In reality I would love to feel optimistic about our chances but I'm not going to unless I see improvements I'm not going to live in a fantasy workd like Arkitis and all of sudden because it's 2016 think the team will be better. And I understand Bosnia is on the decline and not that good but if we play the way we did does it really matter? Anyways I am looking forward to what Skibbe does with our line up and what style of play he decides to go with. But as I mentioned earlier with know game plan as of yet and no known guys coming up its hard to feel positive until I see results. I will be positive when I see the team going in the right direction, and I will be negative when the team plays below the level they are capable of playing and if that bothers Akirtis he knows where he can go.

Edited by J1078

A friend met fortounis at the airport someday about 2 months or 3 ago I dont remember. He asked him about his opinion on the NT failures.

Fortounis answer was this : The team , us the players , thought that after going so well at the WC, we could play 20 minutes on each qualifying match and win.

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic