Phantis Forums

Croatia - Greece ( Round 2, 1st Leg, 9 Nov. 2017, Stadion Maksimir, Zagreb )

Greekaroos

No away fans will be allowed to attend either leg of Croatia’s World Cup playoff games against Greece due to concerns over crowd violence, the Croatian Football Association (HNS) announced on Thursday.

“The leaderships of the HNS and the Greek Football Association have agreed in Athens today that there will be no away fans section in either of the two legs of the World Cup playoff tie between the two teams,” the HNS said.

“Having taken into consideration the risk factors and the security assessments, both football associations have made a joint decision not to sell any tickets to the away fans in either match. FIFAUEFA and other governing bodies have been notified of the decision.”

The first leg game will take place in Dinamo Zagreb’s Maksimir stadium on Nov. 12, with the return fixture at the Georgios Karaiskakis stadium in Piraeus three days later.

A Euro 2012 qualifier between the two teams in 2011 was marred by serious crowd trouble in Athens, when masked Greek fans hurled flares at visiting Croatia supporters, who in turn ripped seats and threw them at riot police.

Animosity between Croatian and Greek fans is fuelled by friendly ties between hard-core Greek fans and those coming from Croatia’s bitter Balkan rivals Serbia, with the brethren groups often joining forces when either team plays the Croatians at club and international levels.

5 hours ago, ausgreek said:

Soula afew doors to the right asked me about my bank balance during my chat, she sounds like one for you Pash, she yours.

Way ahead of you bro, I'm already tying up the bombonieres

• Like it 1

with all the uncertainty around our injured players and if they'll be back in time, we have some clarity and great news on Manolas. He's expected to play midweek against Chelsea in the Champions league and if that's the case he'll have 2 games under his belt (assuming he plays in the league next weekend) heading into the playoffs. Great news! 

http://www.contra.gr/Soccer/Hellas/National-Greece/ta-kala-nea-gia-ton-manwla-hrthan-apo-italia.4913809.html

• Like it 2

On 31/10/2017 at 11:28 AM, Boxou said:

croatia will miss pjaca and kovacic, and perhaps brozovic with lovren

According to a report Kovacic is trying to get back to on field training. Hopefully he's out, he's a game breaker. Lovren playing would probably benefit us.

could be announced after the weekend matchdays..if karelis plays this weekend again is not there then skibbe is simply an idiot. i am wondering why he'd have no place in an already limited offensive line-up, especially with mantalos and donis out. if i see vellios/diamantakos or gianniotas instead..

He does usually wait until last minute to choose his line ups. The injuries must be the main reason he is still unsure. I may be wrong but I thought teams had to make there selection before a certain date. I could be wrong though.

there are obvious injury issues, we are all aware of them.

Manolas is shaky, Donis is out and toro looks unlikely,

I think Skibbe will be contemplating who to call up to replace those players, Our core team will remain the same.

I do hope Pelkas and Gianiotas get called up, they would provide some pace of the bench

Saw much of the AEK vs Milano Champions League match, played in Marousi, Athens this morning, Bakasetas was composed, he was the playmaker. Every time he touched the ball he was a threat, something was constantly happening.

Lazaros looked in fine form with a lot of energy.  He is on the money these days.  

• Like it 1

• Lazarus featured this topic
  • Lazarus unfeatured this topic
  • Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and locked this topic