Phantis Forums
Greekaroos

Croatia - Greece ( Round 2, 1st Leg, 9 Nov. 2017, Stadion Maksimir, Zagreb )

19 minutes ago, Argy said:

I am worried that we will give them too much respect. 

not really..our players are not amauters to do that. 

@J1078torosidis is reported to be out for 2 weeks so he might be available and about donis we'll know on saturday whether he will be ready or not. 

He is likely asking because Croatia already announced their preliminary roster. But yes, probably by the end of next week. 

On 10/24/2017 at 3:01 PM, Argy said:

I am worried that we will give them too much respect. 

I absolutely agree with you. If it happens, we already start losing the match. Playing defensively doesn't mean we can't have a winning mentality.

• Like it 1

We seem to play better when we play defensively and counter attack, though.

Every time we are the stronger team and play an attacking/possession style of football we look like we don't know what to do with the possession. Except when Donis played recently, he looked like he had some sort of plan of attack.

I don't mind sitting back and soaking pressure/frustrating the Croats

On 10/24/2017 at 12:18 AM, nick said:

How the F*** does vellios or diamatakos get called up instead of samaras who has more game time that vellios.. those 2 players are bottom end players. I’d rather Samaras then either of them... 

Perfect! Samaras is a monster, I miss him playing as winger. Not sure if he still has a good pace, though. 

• Like it 1

3 hours ago, paokara777 said:

We seem to play better when we play defensively and counter attack, though.

Every time we are the stronger team and play an attacking/possession style of football we look like we don't know what to do with the possession. Except when Donis played recently, he looked like he had some sort of plan of attack.

I don't mind sitting back and soaking pressure/frustrating the Croats

Donis could be the wildcard here, if he plays like we saw vs Belgium he could give Croatias backline problems. I expect to see us sit back and wait for counter to open up. If we limit there chances they will get nervous as will there fans and they will try hard to force the issue and then mistakes will happen.

1 hour ago, Ellada2004 said:

Donis could be the wildcard here, if he plays like we saw vs Belgium he could give Croatias backline problems. I expect to see us sit back and wait for counter to open up. If we limit there chances they will get nervous as will there fans and they will try hard to force the issue and then mistakes will happen.

Yeah but he's out for another 4-5 weeks so he doesn't make the first leg definitely and most prob the second leg

I just read on Stuttgarts page the Donis will be out until approximately November 30th. I don't know if there has been an update but it looks like he won't be available.. Sucks he could have been a weapon for us..

10 hours ago, J1078 said:

I just read on Stuttgarts page the Donis will be out until approximately November 30th. I don't know if there has been an update but it looks like he won't be available.. Sucks he could have been a weapon for us..

There is word that he is resuming training and may be match fit in time for the playoffs. I don't see Skibbe playing him anyway during the first leg in Zagreb; Maybe in Athens. 

I would like to say we will playing a counter attacking style with a focus on set pieces. I don't think we need to just park the bus. Croatia is good but they don't compare to Belgium who in my opinion are a superior side. 

32 minutes ago, jason said:

I would like to say we will playing a counter attacking style with a focus on set pieces. I don't think we need to just park the bus. Croatia is good but they don't compare to Belgium who in my opinion are a superior side. 

Belgium has a slightly better XI, but much deeper as a team. 

22 minutes ago, Boxou said:

about donis we'll know on saturday

What's going on Saturday that will give us info on Donis?

40 minutes ago, J1078 said:

What's going on Saturday that will give us info on Donis?

his MRI

Soula afew doors to the right asked me about my bank balance during my chat, she sounds like one for you Pash, she yours.

No away fans will be allowed to attend either leg of Croatia’s World Cup playoff games against Greece due to concerns over crowd violence, the Croatian Football Association (HNS) announced on Thursday.

“The leaderships of the HNS and the Greek Football Association have agreed in Athens today that there will be no away fans section in either of the two legs of the World Cup playoff tie between the two teams,” the HNS said.

“Having taken into consideration the risk factors and the security assessments, both football associations have made a joint decision not to sell any tickets to the away fans in either match. FIFAUEFA and other governing bodies have been notified of the decision.”

The first leg game will take place in Dinamo Zagreb’s Maksimir stadium on Nov. 12, with the return fixture at the Georgios Karaiskakis stadium in Piraeus three days later.

A Euro 2012 qualifier between the two teams in 2011 was marred by serious crowd trouble in Athens, when masked Greek fans hurled flares at visiting Croatia supporters, who in turn ripped seats and threw them at riot police.

Animosity between Croatian and Greek fans is fuelled by friendly ties between hard-core Greek fans and those coming from Croatia’s bitter Balkan rivals Serbia, with the brethren groups often joining forces when either team plays the Croatians at club and international levels.

5 hours ago, ausgreek said:

Soula afew doors to the right asked me about my bank balance during my chat, she sounds like one for you Pash, she yours.

Way ahead of you bro, I'm already tying up the bombonieres

• Like it 1

with all the uncertainty around our injured players and if they'll be back in time, we have some clarity and great news on Manolas. He's expected to play midweek against Chelsea in the Champions league and if that's the case he'll have 2 games under his belt (assuming he plays in the league next weekend) heading into the playoffs. Great news! 

http://www.contra.gr/Soccer/Hellas/National-Greece/ta-kala-nea-gia-ton-manwla-hrthan-apo-italia.4913809.html

• Like it 2

Any injury report on the Croatian front? Do they have an active forum like this one that we can visit?

Edited by Argy