Phantis Forums

Euro 2024 Qualifying Play-Offs - Greece - Kazakhstan (21 March 2024 21:45 EET, Opap Arena, Athens)

Exact 40 days to go.

This one-legged match is a must win game. Winner faces an away game either in Georgia or Luxemburg for a spot in Group F of Euro 2024.

Who is on fire? Who not? Perfect lineup to do the trick?

• Like it 4

Our biggest game in almost 7 years. Still over a month out but some things to keep an eye on in terms of player availability/form. 

-Tsimikas returned to the Liverpool bench and was subbed on to a play the last few moments on the weekend. He is fit again which is good news. 

-Chatzidiakos, since Christmas has only played 45 minutes for Cagliari in Serie A. He last had a full 90 on the 2nd of Jan, in a 4-1 cup defeat to AC Milan. As one of the prefered CB's it is a concern. He was hurt in training over the weekend, not sure on prognosis at this stage but assuming its minor Poyet will have to a decision to make if we get to this game and he's still riding the bench. 

-Vlachodimos: Nottingham Forest brought in another keeper, so he's effectively been relegated to 3rd choice. New keeper (Belgian Metz Sels) hasn't been setting the world on fire, which hopefully means Vlacho will get another shot at some stage. He hasn't played a Premier League game since early December and last played all-together in the FA Cup almost a month ago. Again Poyet will have another decision to make if he continues to not play come March. 

-Baldock has been injured the last month or so, I believe he is expected to be fit for this game. If fit he is a starter for Sheffield United, so if his body is right he will come with some game time under his belt. 

-Kourbelis was loaned to another Turkish club (Karagumruk) in January, and was injured after one game. He returned over the weekend and played some mins of the bench. Hopefully he continues to play over the next 5 weeks and is in some good form come the 21st of March.  

• Like it 4

• 4 weeks later...

The squad has been released:

• Βλαχοδήμος
  • Πασχαλάκης
  • Αθανασιάδης
  • Διούδης
  • Τσιμίκας
  • Μαυροπάνος
  • Χατζηδιάκος
  • Κουλιεράκης
  • Σάλιακας
  • Ρέτσος
  • Τζαβέλλας
  • Ρότα
  • Μπάλντοκ

• Μπακασέτας
  • Μπουχαλάκης
  • Κουρμπέλης
  • Χατζηγιοβάνης
  • Μάνταλος
  • Σιώπης
  • Ζέκα
  • Ιωαννίδης
  • Μασούρας
  • Πέλκας
  • Κωνσταντέλιας
  • Γιακουμάκης
  • Παυλίδης
  • Τζόλης

Giannoulis out injured, only one left-back in the squad. Good to see Tzolis back in, deserved call-up. 

I don't really understand what is going on with Tzavellas. He apparently played his last game for the Ethniki in November, yet he continues to be a part of the call-ups. It was my understanding he would be a member of the coaching staff/a mentor of sorts. They clearly want to take him to the Euros if we qualify, but again if that is the case then why retire?  Or if he is done as a player and is just a part of the coaching staff, then why does he need to be included in the playing squad? 

Not a big deal but it doesn't make any sense to me. 

• Like it 1

I did some research on Kazakhstan, they are a decent side produced one shocking result in defeating Denmark at home 3-2. They lost twice to Slovenia 1-0, beat Finland away 2-1 and lost to them at home 2-1. Of course, Denmark beat them at home 3-1. Kazakhstan can score goals, but their defense is suspect. Sure, Greece can't take them lightly. 

• Like it 3

Yeah they have definitely improved and are a threat. I am sure the team and Poyet wouldn't take them lightly anyway, but us as fans need to expect a tough match. One legged ties can be really tense and cagey, especially with so much riding on it.

Who can forget Italy being knocked out of World Cup qualifying 2 years ago when Skopje absorbed pressure for 90 minutes and struck in stoppage time. 

• Like it 2

Considering we haven't made a major tournament in years this team is in no position to take any team lightly. This wont be an easy match and they better not start looking to the final match before this game is over. Kazakhstan will not be an easy out. In saying that we have a golden opportunity to finally make a major tournament and if Greece cant come out on top against Kazakhstan, Georgia or Luxemburg than we really haven't progressed at all under Poyet. We need to now take that next step.

• Like it 4

I read online that Kazakhstan is missing one of their starters due to suspension for our game, and Georgia is missing one of their best players for the game vs Luxemburg. 

• Like it 4

On 3/12/2024 at 7:48 AM, paokarag4 said:

Giannoulis out injured, only one left-back in the squad. Good to see Tzolis back in, deserved call-up. 

I don't really understand what is going on with Tzavellas. He apparently played his last game for the Ethniki in November, yet he continues to be a part of the call-ups. It was my understanding he would be a member of the coaching staff/a mentor of sorts. They clearly want to take him to the Euros if we qualify, but again if that is the case then why retire?  Or if he is done as a player and is just a part of the coaching staff, then why does he need to be included in the playing squad? 

Not a big deal but it doesn't make any sense to me. 

I thought Tzavellas retired in November? I can understand having him around the guys as he has experience and can help them approach these matches. Glad to see Tzolis called up hopefully Poyet puts him on the field with Konstantellias and our attack looks formidable. 

On 3/15/2024 at 8:33 AM, J1078 said:

Considering we haven't made a major tournament in years this team is in no position to take any team lightly. This wont be an easy match and they better not start looking to the final match before this game is over. Kazakhstan will not be an easy out. In saying that we have a golden opportunity to finally make a major tournament and if Greece cant come out on top against Kazakhstan, Georgia or Luxemburg than we really haven't progressed at all under Poyet. We need to now take that next step.

You’re right Greece can’t look ahead. Have to focus on Kazakhstan. They have improved and got a win vs Denmark. Overall we have much more talent and depth on our roster but the team has to come out ready to play from kick off.

• Like it 2

Does anyone know the best way to watch this match for people in Canada or NA?  I don't want to do choppy stream.  If you can't post here please pm me thank you.  

3 hours ago, PaokCT said:

Its on VIX. You may have to pay for the game but it'll be on there. Just search that up and you should find it.

NATIONAL TEAM

EURO 2024 QUALIFYING - PLAYOFFS

SEMIFINAL

21-MARCH-2024

21:45 EET (19:45 UTC, 14:45 CDT, 06:45 AEDT next day)
GREECE - KAZAKHSTAN
TV: Alpha TV (Greece), Optus Sport (Australia), DAZN (Canada), ViX (USA)

FINAL

26-MARCH-2024

winner GEORGIA vs LUXEMBOURG - winner GREECE vs KAZAKHSTAN
TV: Alpha TV (Greece)

• Like it 2

13 hours ago, Pana_For_Life said:

NATIONAL TEAM

EURO 2024 QUALIFYING - PLAYOFFS

SEMIFINAL

21-MARCH-2024

GREECE - KAZAKHSTAN
TV: Alpha TV (Greece), Optus Sport (Australia), DAZN (Canada), ViX (USA)

FINAL

26-MARCH-2024

winner GEORGIA vs LUXEMBOURG - winner GREECE vs KAZAKHSTAN
TV: Alpha TV (Greece)

The match will take place at 19:00 EET (17:00 UTC, 12:00 CDT, 04:00 AEDT next day) if Georgia are in the final.

Still a few days to go but early media reports suggesting Poyet will start with this team

--------------Vlachodimos

Baldock---Mavropanos--Chatzidiakos---Tsimikas

------Siopis/Kourbelis---Mantalos

Masouras--------Bakasetas--------Pelkas

----------------Ioannidis

-Siopis and Kourbelis battling it out for a spot (I wouldn't be surprised to see them both start) 

-Pelkas is coming off around a 2-month layoff with injury. He played about 25 mins for his club on the weekend off the bench and managed to grab an assist. He may be deemed not fit enough to start. In that instance apparently one of Konstantelias or Tzolis would start. 

-Vlachodimos and Chatzidiakos have not played for their clubs since January. So hopefully they aren't too rusty out of the blocks. 

https://www.sport24.gr/football/ethniki-elladas-oi-protes-skepseis-toy-poget-gia-ti-megali-machi-me-to-kazakstan.10284917.html

• Like it 2

I think that line up is probably our best right now.  Any changes outside of Pelkas would not be significant (Konstantelias/Tzolis would be an upgrade).  If you bench Chatzidiakos for Koulierakis, I would be happy about as well. 

Does anyone know if any Australian channels are showing the game? I have access to them through my work.

I was hoping Viaplay in the UK would show it but they've picked up two of tonights other matches.