Phantis Forums

Bosnia and Herzegovina vs Greece (9 June 2017- World Cup Qualifier- Bilino Polje Stadium, Zenica)

Team is coming together nicely. To get a draw in Bosnia with 4 starters out is a good result. Zecca and Donis add depth to the squad, which is important. Well done to Scibbe.

Still a long way to go.

Next match with Estonia is must win.

I need to get this off. With all the interest in this match and importance clear from start, it was extremely disappointing there wasn't a stream into Australia. ESPN had streams of all the other matches WTF. First Greece match I wasn't able to watch live since we played Confederation Cup vs Mexico in 2005.

We have a big opportunity in front of us, i don't think we will blow it away. The players are aware of this and they are not reckless to drop points. 2-0 for us and a 3 point lead from Bosnia as they will be drawing Cyprus in Nicosia at the same time. 3 days later we wii be hosting Belgium again at home a win there would shut down the Bosnians once and for all.

13 hours ago, J1078 said:

@Rockafeller Skank I agree.. Estonia is a tricky team and they wont be easy and our boys need to take them serious. Even when we beat them they had the better of the chances and pressed the game, And a superior team like Belgium to only score twice says a lot about Estonia.. Manolas is going to miss the game? I thought Sokratis is out for the Estonia game due to his second yellow. Manolos as well?

13 hours ago, Boxou said:

I think only Sokratis will be missing. Papadopoulos will replace him probably. 

My mistake bros!

8 hours ago, jason said:

how does mandolas miss open net... Had so much time.... Anyways we have to win all our games to go through now... I dont see bosnia losing unless they play belgium again. 

Estonia away is a difficult match, and they play the same period we did (10 october 2016 Estonia Greece/ 10 october 2016 Estonia Bosnia), and I remember the Greek Commentators saying how difficult it is to play football because of the unsufferable cold. Doubt this was the reason Estonia played so well. They defeated Croatia's B-team in a friendly 3-0. I really expect them to be very hard, at home at least.

Cyprus away is also very tricky especially for Bosnians. They lost to them at Euro 2016 campaign, and this match was what cost them the Euro 2016 Instant qualification.

52 minutes ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

Bosnians took a draw vsom Belgium 1-1 in the euro 2016 qualification campaign. Let's see if they can repeat that.

We actually should have won in that game. Belgium goal was worst Begović mistake for the national team ever

9 : 10

Edited by Dampyr

Nice, apparently the Bosnians who are talking shot about Greece are reading this forum and think we're delusional. Let's remind them that the are no measure to European football and they should better lay down befoere they embarass themselves even more.

14 hours ago, Boxou said:

Klonaridis could provide some as a winger. Or Lazaros

There is no logic for Lazaros not selected over Bakasetas. I guess everyone that watched any AEK game can see this. Klonaridis has some shortcomings (average ball skills and injury prone), he is nor starter material. However he can selectively help due to speed and his ability to score. Despite his miss chances vs PAOK in kypello, he gets the right place and scores. I guess that his goals/game stats would show this (and he never scores via penalties).

From the PAOK games I have seen Pelkas is a nice player.

Edited by PaoOle

Guys there are things we dont know.

Remember Christodoulopoulos 5 v 2 counter attack vs Costa Rica where he just wasted it, and the match itself? Even the coach Santos and I think Karagounis as well, went out and said that some selfish plays cost us the game. I think Lazaros Christodoulopoulos has not been called since  2014. Remember that Zikos and Georgatos were also kicked from the NT due to selfish issues.

Apart from that , he is already 30 and he has nothing much to give. Better try to εγκλιματισουν a younger player who might become a regular for at least 5-6 more years.

We don't know much about the Holebas incident either.

Bakasetas only attribute in the game is his defensive duties and backpass. But I think that sooner or later Donis will dethrone him from his starter spot. We were very threatening from his side since the minute he stepped in. Might be the fact that Bosnians pressed to take the  3 points though, but he seemed much more of a threat than Bakasetas, who has no dribble and no real winger IQ, to get past one or two players and make a key pass to a lone Mitroglou. He is a SS, if we dont get a 5-3-2 he is gonna be pretty useless.

I will agree for Pelkas. Would love to see him as a Fortounis back up, or Right Winger since he can actually play there.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

Just now, Boxou said:

Holebas just didn't want to have Stafylidis' role. He claimed that he should be used as a left bad and not a winger. 

Stafylidis started as a winger man. It's not exactly the same. Holebas has been a defender his whole life, and has been successfull for the NT since his debut in it. Its just that Skibbe didnt rate Stafylidis at that time. Maybe if he did we wouldn't see such an unexpected exit of Holebas.

That was a shocking miss from Mantalos, great pass from Donis though. They had an offside earlier in the match that looked ok, could of lost the match. We got away with that one.

Karnezis and Zeka looked outstanding.

They should at least get a 2 point deduction and a fine. Dzeko started it by holding Manolas throat. Then a player hit Manolas which then resulted Gianniotas rushing in when their assistant coach knocked out both of Gianniotas teeth. After the that the Bosnian fans attacked the Greek fans for no reason. Which led the Greek players to tell the Bosnian police to stop them. Meanwhile the police were hitting the Greek fans aswell. After all that the Bosnian fans chucked stuff on to the field to while the Greek players were walking to the tunnel. If this is not worth deducted points then I don't know what is.

@Dean97 I completely agree I hope this happens but since the game was over I think the most that will happen is a fine and a closed stadium. They absolutely deserve to drop points because that will make the barbaric fans and players really feel it. I pray FIFA make an example out of these dirt bags..

I don't have much faith in FIFA or UEFA, when the Albanians flew a drone with a hanging flag of greater Albania hanging off it in Belgrade the Albanian players attacked Mitrovic for taking down the flag so the game could continue, the Albanian players attacked Mitrovic a scuffle took place the Albanians refused to play on were awarded the game 0-3 and Serbia were fined AND deducted 3pts on top. 

These clowns are more likely to deduct points from us. 

Edited by js1000

The media barely mentioned this altercation after the match, if this occurred in a match involving Spain, Germany or England it would be a main focal point. FIFA screwed over Serbia its obvious they side with these Muslim countries I expect them to just give Bosnia a game behind closed doors. 

Although I am content with the draw, the fact that we basically blew what turned out to be two very winnable games vs Bosnia and Belgium, doesn`t bode well for us if we do end up making the playoffs. If they started today, Greece would draw either France, Italy, Portugal or Slovakia; 75% chance of a disastrous draw. We are ranked 40th and the next lowest 2nd place team is Northern Ireland at 28. We needed wins and I am afraid that if we don't get three points vs Belgium at home, we have no chance at being seeded come playoff time. 

Edited by Argy