Phantis Forums

Starting goalkeeper

Omonoia9

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

even after the braga goal? :D

Exactly what I was going to say! Clearly Nikopolidis is in better form. He saves olympiakos' ass every game. Imo he is the best goalie in greece right now. Also Niko was on the champions league team of the week on something i read .. if i find the link again ill post it

I think Otto is prepping Chalkias to be the starting goalie. Since the home loss to Turkey, Otto has used Nikopolidis at home and Chalkias on the road. Since, Greece is playing their Euro matches on the road and not in front of their home crowd, Otto has been starting Chalkias on the road to give him some valuable road experience for the Euro matches.

Chalkias has been more stable in goal for the NT than Nikopolidis. He also seems to be slightly better at dealing with crosses. I'd go with Chalkias for now but realistically, there isn't a huge difference in terms of either keeper's ability. They're both capable of huge gaffes so neither really makes me very confident. Who knows, maybe one of them will hit a peak in form around the time of the Euro...

chalkias has been good for us but i would start nikopolidis for the euro..the man has important match experience. he led us through euro and has played in alot of big european and championship matches..he is a natural leader..start him off and if he makes alot of mistakes we have chalkias there, ready to back him up...

realistically though we should be looking for another keeper for the national team..

Chalkias is 33 right now and will be 36 by 2010, for a goalkeeper that isn't old and right now he's still in his prime. He's very capable of making point blank saves, he's fairly agile, and he's very tall (the tallest on the NT) and strong in the air which is a good thing against players like Koller, Trezeguet, Ibrahimovic and Toni. I really think he's the only goalkeeper Greece has who can deal with highballs, something Elefteropoulos and Nikopolidis always had trouble with. But most importantly, he's quite reliable and has yet to concede more than 2 goals in a single game this season. Granted his toughest opposition so far has been Bolton and Real Zaragoza, not quite Real Madrid and Bremen. The Bayern game should be interesting.

Nikopolidis is past his prime and should only be used as a backup.

Have you forgotten his play against Turkey in Athens. On two of the goals he dove the wrong way and the shots that were taken were average at best.

Either he was terrible in that game or he was on the take........he stunk.

Chalkias is not a great goaltender but he is consistent. He won't make the unbelievable save but he will stop most shots and is good at picking off the crosses. Also he is a bit of an unknown commodity so not all teams that he will face will know his weak points.

I say go with Chalkias unless another keeper emerges in the next 4 to 6 months.

Thanks....Nikopolidis for your 2004 Euro performance but it's time to move on to something else.

Have you forgotten his play against Turkey in Athens. On two of the goals he dove the wrong way and the shots that were taken were average at best.

Chalkias is not a great goaltender but he is consistent. He won't make the unbelievable save but he will stop most shots and is good at picking off the crosses. Also he is a bit of an unknown commodity so not all teams that he will face will know his weak points.

Thanks....Nikopolidis for your 2004 Euro performance but it's time to move on to something else.

The only thing consistent about Chalkias is his INCONSISTENCY.

Did any of you ever watch him in the Premiership?

NO I haven't seen him play in the premiership. I'm making my comments based on what I've seen in National team games. I never said he was GREAT.

I still would rather see him in net at the moment....BUT....if another Keeper emerges then I'm all for it.

It would be nice if Otto gives a 3rd keeper a chance in some of the upcoming games. This would send the signal to the 2 frontrunners that they shouldn't expect to take it easy or they will lose their position.

Halkias no doubt. One of the most important things for a goalkeeper is consistency. Nikopolidis hasn't been reliable for quite a long time now. The last few games he's been pretty good but that doesn't cut it. Also Sifakis should go to a team where he's first choice; not hanging out on the bench wasting his talent. Halkias has been good and Aris are doing very well lately; one of the best teams in the league.

NO I haven't seen him play in the premiership. I'm making my comments based on what I've seen in National team games. I never said he was GREAT.

I still would rather see him in net at the moment....BUT....if another Keeper emerges then I'm all for it.

It would be nice if Otto gives a 3rd keeper a chance in some of the upcoming games. This would send the signal to the 2 frontrunners that they shouldn't expect to take it easy or they will lose their position.

That's why I mentioned Abaris.

Btw, Chalkias is generally regarded as one of the worst keepers to ever play in the Premiership.

Lets see how Niko handles the comming CL Games before we rule him out again. He did an amazing job against Werder Bremen. This could be another Takis Lemonis saga. Everyone included myself wanted another coach one year ago. Now we all praise him to the skies. The same way we all felt about Adoni after the GRE -TUR match, let him go! But this season in Europe, the man has done very little wrong on the whole. At this point in time, he's deffo my choice for a starter in the NT.

But i would really like for Otto to visit Italy and watch a game or two with Elephteropoulos, just in case ;)

Hey Kolokotronis I hate to lay it on you but you know what? Halkias is not playing in the Premiership anymore; he had a bad spell over there but thats in the past; its OVER. Have you bothered to pay any attention to him since?

Yes I have.

And he still doesn't convince me as anything more than a run of the mill keeper.

In fact, maybe not even that given some of his colossal blunders.

If you're talking NT level, the English Premiership is a better barometer of likely success or failure as an international keeper than the SL. That's why I mentioned it. And they day we're satisfied with the Chalkias of the world as our top choice, well, ........ all I can say is we're in trouble.

Archived