Phantis Forums

Starting goalkeeper

Omonoia9

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After his performance in the CL, my vote goes to Nikoplidis. Otto has a tendency to prefer players with foreign experience, so I think we will predictably see many of the Olympiakos stars in Austria. If Olympiakos progresses even further, I am 100% certain that Nikopolidis will be in goal.

I remember I defended Nikopolidis after the Turkey match and someone called me a "retard". I think some people need to get a grip. Sometimes players can have a bad stretch, it's his overall experience and current form that should count. To choose Chalkias over a player currently advancing with his team in the final 16 of the CL would be the worst decision one could make.

Would be nice to see Chalkias be tested by some quality opposition. He was solid against the smaller teams but not so much against Norway, and Turkey only really got 1 good shot against him (hit the post). Aren't we playing a friendly against the Czechs soon? That would be a good indicator I think.

So what was it that you guys were saying about Chalkias as starting gk for the NT?

"Hey Kolokotronis I hate to lay it on you but you know what? Halkias is not playing in the Premiership anymore; he had a bad spell over there but thats in the past; its OVER. Have you bothered to pay any attention to him since?"

Yes I have. Like today.

:P :o ;)

WhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaT?????!! :1eye:

No, friends, Chialkas is a big liability! I'd prefer Nikopolodi or another keeper for Euro 2008.

If you want to see Chalkias under pressure, just see the video from Bayern-Aris game (6-0). I watched it several times. Chalkias was responsible for at least 3 (if not 4 goals).

He looked scared, unsure, timid. That's not what we need for Euro. No way! :nono:

There will be lots of pressure and I think he cannot handle it. Friendlies aren't like that, so when the real thing comes in June, I'd hope Rehhagel has another choice.

I remember him playing on the PAO squad. Some very good games, but at crunch time, he messed up. Very unstable. Glad we got rid of him.

PS>I agree that Nikopolidis was totally bad in the game against Turkey, but he's got experience and is not afraid when our team faces big challenges.

So what was it that you guys were saying about Chalkias as starting gk for the NT?

"Hey Kolokotronis I hate to lay it on you but you know what? Halkias is not playing in the Premiership anymore; he had a bad spell over there but thats in the past; its OVER. Have you bothered to pay any attention to him since?"

Yes I have. Like today.

:P  :o  ;)

So Kolokotroni, who do you think Otto should use? Realistically, you know he won't call up Abaris or Ele. It's either Nikopolidis or Chalkias. After this performance, it would be easy to say: drop Chalkias, go with Nikopolidis. But what happens if OLY get drawn with Man United or Barca in the next round and Adonaki cops 4 or 5 goals?

The fact of the matter is, we know that neither keeper is really an all-star keeper in the vein of a Cech or Buffon. It really is a toss-up and IMO will depend on the form of the keeper going into Euro. Otto has shown that he trusts Chalkias in the big matches but if Nikopolidis impresses in the CL...

I can't see how Kotsolis or Abaris or Ele are worse picks than Chalkias at the moment.

Chalkias has one major deficiency as a keeper, he has terrible judgment. Can't judge the flight of the ball at times, panicks when asked to make quick decisions in match conditions, etc....

Not a bad shot stopper (not in Adonis class though), probably better hands than Adoni (which isn't saying much), and much better than Adonis at getting crosses, but overall, Panagia Mou voitha.

Any time he gets pressured, hold on to your seats.

Ele, Georgatos, and Anatolakis were the main players in one of the most notorious OSFP cliques ever. Single handedly drove Antzas out of Peiraia. I would imagine quite a few others as well.

Ele and Georgatos were two of the biggest alites to ever step foot on a Greek soccer pitch. From what I hear, Anatolakis wasn't far behind.

Shame really because Georgatos had world class ability and Ele was one of the most naturally gifted Greek keepers I had ever seen. But they would rather drink frappe at the waterfornt cafes in Voula and tap their teammates wives than take their craft a tad more seriously. Who in their right mind would leave Serie A and Inter to come back to Olympiakos?

As far as Anatolakis was concerned, there was a very good reason why noone could shake him from the starting lineup, and his ability (or lack thereof) had very little to do with it. ;)

After what I saw tonight, I think Nikopolidis will be our goalkeeper for EURO. I have not seen a worse game for Chalkias even compared to his games at Portsmouth. Many elementary mistakes by Chalkias.

Lets hope it was just a bad night. It is sad because he has been very good until last night.

I am so sorry... :(

• 3 weeks later...

I am pleased to say that we have two good goalkeepers in the NT.

Who will play depends on the game and the opposition. In high balls with high opponents, Nikopolidis is abysmal, so Chalkias should play. When the ball stays low, Nikopolidis is better. So it depends on the opposition attacking style, which one should play.

Saying this, when both Nikopolidis and Chalkia are at their worse, it is better to play with no goalkeeper at all! At the moment though, it is seems that they are both on form. lets hope the will continue like this until the final :tup: :whistle: :LOL: :P :blink: of EURO 2008.

:gr: :gr: :gr:

• 2 weeks later...

thanks man.... i think niko could be higher on that list no? Some of the goalies above him are not better him , they just play for bigger clubs, therefore have the reputation. In a regular Cl game they would get tested half as much as niko!

And ya some other goalies above him ive never herd of so ya... i dunno. I think he could be higher

Niko is way better then xalkias

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TheLegend

nothing against halkias but once again niko showed with ergotelis hes the best goalie greece has and one of the best in europe at the moment..

Guest TheLegend

halkias is eating goals for fun and nikopolidis has been amazing from blocking penalties to saving 1v1's.... even against ergotelis when thye had the break away he made the decision to come out and push the guy over to the side giving cesar enough time to get behind him...

lets just say hes a LITTTLE better than morreto to be fair ? :)

Archived