Phantis Forums

Bosnia and Herzegovina vs Greece (9 June 2017- World Cup Qualifier- Bilino Polje Stadium, Zenica)

SKIBBE SET FOR BIG DECISIONS AHEAD OF BOSNIA MATCH

The Greek National Team’s crucial match against Bosnia and Herzegovina in European Qualifying for the 2018 FIFA World Cup is fast approaching. The away qualifier, to be played at the Bilino Polje Stadium in Zenica on June 9th, is a vital match that could go a long way in determining Greece’s chances for a place at Russia 2018.

In the coming weeks, Ethniki boss Michael Skibbe will announce the squad for that crucial qualifier. And Skibbe will have some big decisions to make as five players will miss the match against the Bosnians. Andreas Samaris, Giorgos Tzavellas, Kyriakos Papadopoulos, and Panagiotis Tachtsidis are all ruled out due to suspension, with Samaris having accumulated yellows while Tzavellas and Tachtsidis were both sent off in the team’s last qualifier against Belgium. Kyriakos Papadopoulos will be serving his final match suspension for his actions against Bosnia in Greece.

Also absent from the team will be long-term injury victim Nikos Karelis. 

Skibbe is widely reported to be interested in calling up left-back Babis Lykogiannis for the first time. The Sturm Graz player has impressed with his performances as of late putting himself in the frame for a call-up to the senior team after having represented Greece at youth level. 

Another player to have represented Greece’s younger national teams is also in line for a first call-up. Panathinaikos’ Dimitris Kourbelis could be selected as a back-up defensive midfielder. 

It’s a big question whether Skibbe will call up Kourbelis and also keep faith in the young talent that were drafted into the squad recently. The smart money is that the German manager will hold onto the likes of Thanasis Androutsos and bring in Kourbelis and Giorgos Manthatis. It wouldn’t exactly be called a youth revolution, however it would a clear sign that Skibbe values what young Greek talent can bring to the table.

Goalkeeper Orestis Karnezis is set for a return to the team meaning that more than likely Dimitris Kyriakidis will be dropped from the squad. 

There could be some more surprises depending on injuries, however for now the squad is expected comprise of the players that were selected for the Belgium match.

Below is the predicted squad for the match against Bosnia:

Goalkeepers: Orestis Karnezis, Stefanos Kapino, Panagiotis Glykos

Defenders: Kostas Manolas, Sokratis Papastathopoulos, Vasilis Torosidis, Marios Oikonomou, Kostas Stafylidis, Babis Lykogiannis

Midfielders: Zeca, Manolis Siopis, Kostas Fortounis, Giannis Maniatis, Petros Mantalos, Alexandros Tziolis, Thanasis Androutsos, Dimitris Kourbelis

Forwards: Kostas Mitroglou, Giorgos Manthatis, Dimitris Diamantakos, Apostolos Vellios, Giannis Gianniotas, Tasos Bakasetas

Edited by Greekaroos
Giving more information.
  • Like it 2

The above team was from xxxyyyzzz (spam) which personally I don't fully agree.  

Why is it that Dimitrios Siovas was selected while at Olympiacos playing in a dominant team, marking very average strikers compared to what he is currently up against, marking Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Torres & many more of the worlds best in the Spanish La Liga?

Siovas arrived at CD Leganes in January this year on loan from Olympiacos at a time when they were really struggling defensively, looking almost certain to being relegated & has now become a crowd favorite with Leganes fans after playing a huge roll in helping CD Leganes stay in the Spanish La Liga. 

In my opinion Siovas would go into a very difficult away match against some world class attacking players which Bosnia & Herzegovina has & would of been match toughened & ready to do a great job marking players similar to what he is up against every week in Spain.

My team for the away Bosnia match with all those suspended & injured player out is:

---------------------Karnezis------------------------

--------Manolas-----Sokratis--------Siovas-------

Torosidis----------------------------------Stafylidis

------------Maniatis------------Zeca---------------

---Fortounis---------------------------Mantalos---

---------------------Mitroglou-----------------------

• Like it 1

-------------------Karnezis----------------------

Torosidis-Manolas-Sokratis-Lykogiannis

----------Siopis/Kourbelis------Zeca-----------------

Mantalos------Fortounis----------Stafylidis

------------------Mitroglou----------------------

I don;t like your starters at all. Maniatis and Zeca both do the same thing and they are unable to do crucial passes that will help offensively. Having them both in the same team is a no-go for me. I would like to start Siopis because this lad got what it takes to win a midfield. We lost the midfield last match vs Bosnia so we need to change it. I believe Skibbe has to end up with which midfielders to use in training. I really hope Tziolis is not one of them, and I really hope Maniatis is not one of them either, as he didnt exactly prove his career worth in Atromitos. Siopis seemed a lot more dominant while they both played for small budget teams. Kourbelis also a hard worker. Another possible add is Retsos but I think he is mostly suited for the CB role as his passing has nothing spectacular to it. Both Kourbe and Siopis are considered able to share the ball and also keep it with them.

I believe Stafylidis as Left Midfielder/Winger is a no-go as well. Mantalos seems low on both wings. Fortounis as well. So why  waste both of our wings. Give Lykogiannis a chance on the back. Besides all of the Bosnian wingers/flankers are nothing much talented. I believe Lykogiannis can handle it. Stafylidis is not much of a talent defensively either.  

• Like it 1

best case scenario in this game which won't actually happen imo would be

mitroglou

Staf     fortounis     Fetfa

Siopis   Zeca

Holebas   Sok        Manolas  Toro

Karnezis

Edited by georgelaz

Siopis may lack height, but in a critical match like this one, you may have to roll the dice and use him for whatever is necessary. It would be good to bring him in into  the 2nd half. 

Edited by Molon Lave

13 hours ago, georgelaz said:

best case scenario in this game which won't actually happen imo would be

mitroglou

Staf     fortounis     Fetfa

Siopis   Zeca

Holebas   Sok        Manolas  Toro

Karnezis

Your brain being stuck with Fetfa is honestly concerning :P.

The guy ended his career, barely plays in a League that's terrible.

Holebas also decided to end his Greek NT career so that's not happening either.

The rest of your Starting 11 is decent imo.

Maybe the fact that Siopis will be playing competitive until the end of May, while Maniatis has already left Atromitos waiting the next transfer window to continue his career elsewhere, and is teamless right now. 

When it comes to the rest of the team.There are some locks that I believe won't change.
Karnezis

Torosidis-Sokratis-Manolas

Fortounis-Mitroglou-Mantalos-Stafylidis

8 out of the 11 are locks. 

What s left to be seen is
a) If Stafylidis will move to LB and someone else goes forward, talking about Lykogiannis taking the LB position or Gianniotas taking the left/right midfielder role.
b) who the midfielders will be. Currently I think we re left with Options Tziolis, Zeca, Siopis, Maniatis Retsos, Kourbelis

I am not aware if Retsos will even be selected, so theres literally 0% chance he actually starts.

Siopis and Maniatis have exatrly the same role and exactly the same attributes in the midfield. Maniatis is also short so I dont understand all the fuss about "Siopis is short." Siopis is in full form playing whole year with a low budget team and this should actually mean something. He was a beast in the midfield for 2 (yeah unlike some ppl here I was also following GSL last season, and there were calls for Siopis being very decent for the Greek Level last year as well). But this is Greece, and noone gives a damn for you unless a big team is interested as well.Zeca also has the same attributes with both of these mentioned although taller, but in comparisson loses in passing and maybe ball control. I would put the preference order in this way Siopis>Zeca>Maniatis. 

Biggest possibility is 2 of the 3 players mentioned above both make it to start.
Kourbelis, as with Retsos, small chance to be selected (although with so many missing players who else is to be looked at and called. In a sceneraio of a 5-3-2 to keep the draw , or even 4-4-2, maybe one of the youths can be selected.

Tziolis no comment. Phil has probably met him.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank
  • Like it 1

We can forget about Fetfa,Kone and Holebas. This coach has made his mind up and these guys will not be on the NT again. As far as our line up options for the Bosnia game goes we are screwed especially in our Mid. I think Bosnia will have no problem advancing the ball with speed on us and I think Manitais and Zeca will be caught running around out of position.

• Like it 1

5 hours ago, Rockafeller Skank said:

Your brain being stuck with Fetfa is honestly concerning :P.

The guy ended his career, barely plays in a League that's terrible.

A lot of people seem to get stuck on Fetfa.  It is one of those mysteries.

• Like it 1

15 hours ago, Bananas said:

A lot of peoplearrow-10x10.png seem to get stuck on Fetfa.  It is one of those mysteries.

Its just sad. Im in international forums and this type of players "pacey guy who can dribble but do nothing more useful". Just look at all those Premier League flops like Memphis Depay. There are like 1000s of players like this. There is probably a reason why Mantalos is preffered in the RW position over a pure winger like Gianniotas. Maybe he is not ready yet? Maybe he is not enough? Who knows.

Why would Stafylidis be played as a winger? The only reason he was in that position last game was because Tzavellas was there. This time, we'll see him in his proper position.

19 minutes ago, pash said:

Why would Stafylidis be played as a winger? The only reason he was in that position last game was because Tzavellas was there. This time, we'll see him in his proper position.

he started as a left midfielder at paok, and has played lots of game for Augsburg in that position. His offensive attributes are quite good. barely makes any shocking mistakes and sellouts. The reason probably is that Skibbe realises that with players like Mantalos on the Right wing, he needs someone more suited for the flanks.  Players like Mpakasetas/Karelis even Mantalos, are not exactly good in the wings. I don't kno the coach thinking about that however.

I mean look at Mandzukic playing Left Midfielder and proving everyone wrong. Who the hell sgonna judge Skibbe for putting anyone on the flanks after that.

• Like it 1

4 hours ago, ausgreek said:

If Kolovos is fit and Manthatis is in the squad, Gianniotas might not get a look in this time, when you consider Staf and Mantalos will be the wingers.

impossible to happen. comes from an injury. a new add on to the squad that has had 0 playtime lately, seems kinda impossible. we have players for there.

I believe Lazaros Christodoulopoulos has more chances getting picked than anyone else.

To play Stafylidis as winger would mean that there are no better options there, or a better option at LB. If that's true, then fine. But as you say above, Lazaros is doing well; to me it's much more logical to put him there and drop Stafylidis back.

• Like it 1

It's the total outcome of the cooperation of LB-LW/LM what skibbe probably takes into cooperation. Also the fact that Staf is a wingerback helps in our defensive mechanism-which is the reason we still have chances to qualify, than having a proper winger play there. Tzavellas-Stafylidis works. Maybe Skibbe tries to see if Lykogiannis-Stafylidis works as well. That is what Im trying to say.

• Like it 2

I think the back three has to be Manolas, Sokratis and Siovas no doubt about it. He has to insert Siovas into this gm and solidify the back. We can play 3-5-2 with Toro and Stafylidis as FB's

He can go with Zeca, Mantalos, and Fortounis in the mid and Mitro and Gianniotas up front. I think this gives us best chance to resist their pressure and hit them on the counter attacks.

Edited by Makynia

1 hour ago, Makynia said:

I think the back three has to be Manolas, Sokratis and Siovas no doubt about it. He has to insert Siovas into this gm and solidify the back. We can play 3-5-2 with Toro and Stafylidis as FB's

He can go with Zeca, Mantalos, and Fortounis in the mid and Mitro and Gianniotas up front. I think this gives us best chance to resist their pressure and hit them on the counter attacks.

this isn't a match you change the schemes and experiment. It's the match that probably gonna give 2nd place.

Win for us probably means we can push for even first place.

Draw means that without any unexpected troubles, 2nd place should be ours.

Defeat means we need help from Cyprus and Belgium (and means we need them both to take results vs Bosnia).

Everyone was talking about Belgium match being the most important one, but with things being as they are right now, July will be the month we either make it to the play offs, or we don't.

So I wouldn't put a new startingarrow-10x10.png scheme , nor would I put some new players like Siovas, who's been awayarrow-10x10.png form the NT since 2014.

Moreover Torosidis wingback in this age? Get realarrow-10x10.png. He was a wingback till his 30, he was fast and could honestly keep the whole flank, but right now, this player needs fewer duties than a whole flank for himself.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank
  • Like it 1

yes torosidis was beast in his prime. still our best option for now though and from what I've heard had a decent season at bologna.

we should be okay against bosnia because despite all the absentees we got the bulk of our core in tact = fortounis, manolas, sokratis, mitroglou, karnezis