Phantis Forums

2022 WCQ: Greece - Kosovo (14 Nov. 2021, 21:45 EEST - Olympic Stadium, Athens)

Dutch Eagle

Ο πρόεδρος της ΕΠΟ, Παναγιώτης Δημητρίου, μετά το ματς της Εθνικής με το Κόσοβο στο ΟΑΚΑ που έληξε ισόπαλο 1-1, μίλησε για την εικόνα του αντιπροσωπευτικού μας συγκροτήματος και είπε πως "θα μπορούσαμε να πετύχουμε κάτι καλύτερο και να προκριθούμε. Δεν είμαστε ευχαριστημένοι".

Ακολούθως, ρωτήθηκε για το μέλλον του Τζον Φαν Σιπ: "Θα αποφασίσει η διοίκηση. Δεν μπορώ να εκφράσω προσωπική άποψη".

• Like it 2

No clean sheet ..again..

I am tired of saying it and so are many others.

The reality is what we need is is a coach who can handle all personalities

and put our best on the field mixed with the youth as well.

Having Manolas and others today could have made a difference defensively.   

• Like it 1
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, J1078 said:

Guys give this a read he explains everything JVS has done from nations league to the World Cup qualifiers. He is spot on. 

https://hellasfooty.blogspot.com/2021/11/same-mistakes-keep-costing-us.html?m=1&fbclid=IwAR04RAqwyd9BtwuJjAcTUMjYSNY8k0JahoDhb9v9VYI4pVdHi7TZsfpTthI

Yes everyone here should read it, very well written and said! 

• Like it 2

1 hour ago, nasl said:

No clean sheet ..again..

I am tired of saying it and so are many others.

The reality is what we need is is a coach who can handle all personalities

and put our best on the field mixed with the youth as well.

Having Manolas and others today could have made a difference defensively.   

yup no clean sheet vs Kosovo not Spain but Kosovo yet again. In the Otto & Santos days at 1 nil up there is no way we lose the lead and especially to the Kosovos of the world. Just gutted with this team such a disappointing campaign. JVS has to leave..

1 hour ago, J1078 said:

Guys give this a read he explains everything JVS has done from nations league to the World Cup qualifiers. He is spot on. 

https://hellasfooty.blogspot.com/2021/11/same-mistakes-keep-costing-us.html?m=1&fbclid=IwAR04RAqwyd9BtwuJjAcTUMjYSNY8k0JahoDhb9v9VYI4pVdHi7TZsfpTthI

That's quite ironic. Can I tell you after we couldn't beat Kosovo I jumped on his Instagram and asked him how he could justify 1 shot at goal in the first half against the Minnows in Kosovo in a must win game. Two minutes later I was blocked. Which is effectively what he did to Siovas when he too questionned his methods. So it's obvious the guy can't take criticism in any way shape or form which must be tough for him considering what a failure he's been as a coach throughout his career.

• Like it 2

Yeah it's time to cut JVS loose....not that it's all on him but someone needs to foot the bill and it's gonna be him. I think this failure to qualify has more to do with a combination of injuries, players in leadership standing refusing to participate and a general lack of talent and depth, but JVS's inability to make in-game changes to tactics and players so as to adapt to the game being played is not acceptable at this level and I think that's his biggest shortcoming.

Manolas and Papastathopoulos can both suck it and I hope they never get called back....they turned their back on the team and no amount of "player management" will change their crappy attitude....same goes for Siovas. They took themselves out of the picture and for those who don't remember, the NT went through their most embarrassing period in recent history with these 2 as the main CB pairing anyhow....enough said on this issue already.

There were good signs from the team but no consistency which is part of the coach's job.....to get a consistently good performance from his players regardless of the outcome....if the players aren't talented, then that's an altogether different issue and at the moment it seems we are lacking in that department. I'm pretty sure JVS didn't tell his players to sit back against Georgia or Kosovo....I'm pretty sure he told them the same thing he said going in against Sweden but the player's just don't have the ability to perform consistently

Hopefully Tzolis, Douvikas, and Alexandropoulos will continue to develop because the previous bunch of Pelkas, Fortounis, Mantalos etc. fell well short of the mark. Pavlidis, Fountas, Giakoumakis may prove to be serviceable players but have yet to stamp their mark on the team. Leftback is stacked while I think we need options on the right. I think Hatzidiakos is a talented CB and part of the future plans....Mavropanos needs a little more work but is promising.

It's a big let down as far as how things went after JVS took over but from the start he made it clear that his idea of success lay in qualifying for the WC....playing nice football is nice but it means nothing without results.

• Like it 2

2 hours ago, Greek Style said:

That's quite ironic. Can I tell you after we couldn't beat Kosovo I jumped on his Instagram and asked him how he could justify 1 shot at goal in the first half against the Minnows in Kosovo in a must win game. Two minutes later I was blocked. Which is effectively what he did to Siovas when he too questionned his methods. So it's obvious the guy can't take criticism in any way shape or form which must be tough for him considering what a failure he's been as a coach throughout his career.

Lol your in JVS dog house too..

• Like it 1

It’s time for JVS to go. He’s had his time. We’ve gone downhill since he took over. These group of players are good enough in my opinion to go to a tournament. A player like Pelkas proved he is better than Bakasetas. Mantalos has regressed so much I can’t believe it. Bouchalakis is too slow. 

He didn’t play Alexandropoulos who is by far our best CM and JVS doesn’t know it. Tzolis is by far our best attacking player and only gets 30 minutes. Give these 2 a few full 90 minute games and see what happens. But no he has to stick to Bakasetas, Bouchalakis etc. How can he not pick a proper more experienced RB like Kitsiou or Kotsiras. Even though they aren’t the greatest they are RBs who can do the job. Androutsos should be playing CM and be used as a player than be put in any position and a reliable player to cover most positions of need be. He’s good. 

How can you play 3 or 5 man defence against teams like this. Play 4 at the back from the start and start Limnios, Tzolis and Alexandropoulos.

Even though we had a few players out there’s no excuse in not beating these type of teams like Kosovo. JVS has failed. JVS out for me…

• Like it 2

6 hours ago, Dean97 said:

It’s time for JVS to go. He’s had his time. We’ve gone downhill since he took over. These group of players are good enough in my opinion to go to a tournament. A player like Pelkas proved he is better than Bakasetas. Mantalos has regressed so much I can’t believe it. Bouchalakis is too slow. 

He didn’t play Alexandropoulos who is by far our best CM and JVS doesn’t know it. Tzolis is by far our best attacking player and only gets 30 minutes. Give these 2 a few full 90 minute games and see what happens. But no he has to stick to Bakasetas, Bouchalakis etc. How can he not pick a proper more experienced RB like Kitsiou or Kotsiras. Even though they aren’t the greatest they are RBs who can do the job. Androutsos should be playing CM and be used as a player than be put in any position and a reliable player to cover most positions of need be. He’s good. 

How can you play 3 or 5 man defence against teams like this. Play 4 at the back from the start and start Limnios, Tzolis and Alexandropoulos.

Even though we had a few players out there’s no excuse in not beating these type of teams like Kosovo. JVS has failed. JVS out for me…

What happened to JVS playing the Dutch attacking style of football as you said he loads up the backline vs Kosovo? Makes no sense and he did not even use Alexandropoulos in this game to test him out instead we see Bouchalakis who can pick out a a good pass but he is way too slow in the middle of the park and when you see him lose the ball a few times yesterday and they caught us on the break I thought they would make us pay for it. Also he starts Mantalos and the guy just cant cut it for the NT he cant make the right decision were to go with the ball when we have a dangerous attack on. Its time for him to stop getting the call up to the NT.

Why did Tzolis not get a start his pace and dribbling was way to much for Kosovo put him in from the start and we finish off Kosovo with 2 goals in the first half. JVS will not change his mad ways we cant continue on this path. EPO please bring in a serious coach who is smart enough too see that we cant afford to leave some of our best players out of the starting 11 and bringing in out of form players or guys who do not even start for their clubs like Mavrias. What a disgrace...

• Like it 1

21 minutes ago, Ellada2004 said:

What happened to JVS playing the Dutch attacking style of football as you said he loads up the backline vs Kosovo? Makes no sense and he did not even use Alexandropoulos in this game to test him out instead we see Bouchalakis who can pick out a a good pass but he is way too slow in the middle of the park and when you see him lose the ball a few times yesterday and they caught us on the break I thought they would make us pay for it. Also he starts Mantalos and the guy just cant cut it for the NT he cant make the right decision were to go with the ball when we have a dangerous attack on. Its time for him to stop getting the call up to the NT.

Why did Tzolis not get a start his pace and dribbling was way to much for Kosovo put him in from the start and we finish off Kosovo with 2 goals in the first half. JVS will not change his mad ways we cant continue on this path. EPO please bring in a serious coach who is smart enough too see that we cant afford to leave some of our best players out of the starting 11 and bringing in out of form players or guys who do not even start for their clubs like Mavrias. What a disgrace...

It was pretty much confirmed after the Spain game JVS would get an extension but now with the 1-1 draw it seems like the EPO is torn but I think they are still leaning to keeping him for the nations league which would be a huge mistake as it will be against teams that are similar to Kosovo and Georgia and JVS has proved he can’t get good results from these type of teams. I really hope Now more then ever they get rid of him. I’m wondering if a Greek coach would be better for these guys or is it better to have an outsider? I fear when an outsider comes in he will take a while to learn the players and their capabilities and right now we don’t have anymore time to experiment as we need someone that knows who our best players are and play them right away. But on the other hand I also fear a Greek coach may be more likely to use who the Epo and player agents push for. 

2 hours ago, J1078 said:

Lets hope EPO realize we cant continue with JVS especially after yesterday Greece should have had an easy win but again for the 3rd time with JVS we cant beat Kosovo. Imagine if this result would have cost us a place at topping Sweden for 2nd place. Sweden finished with 15 points & Greece with 10 all those blown pts to the minnows cost us second place that just pisses me off thinking about it. Second place in this group was attainable I said it from the start but JVS crazy selections and tactics ruined it. 

2 minutes ago, J1078 said:

It was pretty much confirmed after the Spain game JVS would get an extension but now with the 1-1 draw it seems like the EPO is torn but I think they are still leaning to keeping him for the nations league which would be a huge mistake as it will be against teams that are similar to Kosovo and Georgia and JVS has proved he can’t get good results from these type of teams. I really hope Now more then ever they get rid of him. I’m wondering if a Greek coach would be better for these guys or is it better to have an outsider? I fear when an outsider comes in he will take a while to learn the players and their capabilities and right now we don’t have anymore time to experiment as we need someone that knows who our best players are and play them right away. But on the other hand I also fear a Greek coach may be more likely to use who the Epo and player agents push for. 

We cant afford JVS for NL if he continues to blow easy matches in League C and it could cost us a possible route through the playoffs that we may need to have at our disposal. The EPO are not to be trusted either I hear you on that, Since Santos its been a crap show with the coaches they have brought on. I would hope for Donis to come to coach the NT he can deal with these younger players and knows Greek football well and I believe he would command respect from the players.

• Like it 1

Best option right now is to keep the current coach. The current players play for him and give it their all. They don't see the national team as a nuisance like some players in the past. Thankfully those players are gone. Only players that want to play on the national team and respect the coach should be called up. Bringing in a Greek coach right now, specially Donis, will be a step in the wrong direction.

Another thing that needs to be pointed out is that Greek football is sick. There is no patience to develop the players. In 2004 a lot of the NT players were part of the U21 team that qualified to the U21 final against Spain. What has the current U21 team done lately? They can't even qualify from the group stage.

And than you have the domestic leagues, where majority players are foreign based and Greek player don't get any playing time. No wonder the NT coach has to scan 2nd and 3rd division teams in Europe to find players with Greek roots that might be called up. 

• Like it 2

13 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

Best option right now is to keep the current coach. The current players play for him and give it their all. They don't see the national team as a nuisance like some players in the past. Thankfully those players are gone. Only players that want to play on the national team and respect the coach should be called up. Bringing in a Greek coach right now, specially Donis, will be a step in the wrong direction.

Another thing that needs to be pointed out is that Greek football is sick. There is no patience to develop the players. In 2004 a lot of the NT players were part of the U21 team that qualified to the U21 final against Spain. What has the current U21 team done lately? They can't even qualify from the group stage.

And than you have the domestic leagues, where majority players are foreign based and Greek player don't get any playing time. No wonder the NT coach has to scan 2nd and 3rd division teams in Europe to find players with Greek roots that might be called up. 

Absolutely right mate.

The Greek domestic league is in shambles. Its embarrassing, especially when considering what other smaller countries are able to achieve.

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2021/11/15/uefa-head-back-greece-officials-threatened-hff-lurches-back-financial-crisis/

Saw the game yesterday, it was insane how much better Tsimikas is than the rest of the team.  How many times did he have an amazing cross with no one on the other side getting to it or misfiring.  If Masouras can finish half his chances, he would be a super star.  

Our biggest issue is that we can't create real chances.  For all our dominance, it seemed like we did not know how to dribble in the final third.  Mantalos should not be in this team.  

• Like it 1

1 hour ago, Brklyngrk said:

Saw the game yesterday, it was insane how much better Tsimikas is than the rest of the team.  How many times did he have an amazing cross with no one on the other side getting to it or misfiring.  If Masouras can finish half his chances, he would be a super star.  

Our biggest issue is that we can't create real chances.  For all our dominance, it seemed like we did not know how to dribble in the final third.  Mantalos should not be in this team.  

I agree, honestly we had some amazing delivery in the box. I think if we could find a tall Lewandowski-type striker that can get up and reach those headers we would be a lot more dangerous in the box. I don’t think this player needs to be anything spectacular.. 

also, it’s important to note that just because a player performs well off the bench doesn’t necessarily mean he would do the same as a starter. When Tzolis (for example) comes off the bench his speed and energy is evident, but it’s mostly because the currently fielded players are playing with tired legs. It’s quite possible that if Tzolis plays a full 90 he will look like Pavlidis (invisible) in attack.

Unpopular opinion - for me Pavlidis has been a huge let down after a promising start to the Ethniki, the amount of turn overs he produces is incredible. IMO Fetftazidis (30 yo) would offer so much more than Pavlidis who only really has a finish on him, his passing is terrible, hold up play very poor and I think hurting us more than helping.

• Like it 1

JVS and Project Qatar failed he said after the NL failure that he would ultimately be judged on wcup qualification. He failed miserably 5pts behind a Sweden team that was not that convincing. Greece had to make the playoffs in this group it was no where as difficult as the Italy/Switzerland group were Italy finished runner up. Its getting exhausting watching us fail yet again and seeing nothing football nations like Finland, Albania, and ffs even the Skopians making major tournaments and some of these countries now in the wcup playoffs too. Not only does JVS need to leave as he already should have after yet another draw vs Kosovo but so do the bums in the EPO who cant due there jobs and find a qualified coach to lead the NT and these same people who have left the NT way down on their agenda, they still haven't found the team a permanent stadium. They were suppose to have that done before the start of Euro 2020 qualification. The NT has to be the TOP priority! Greece have to be in World Cups and Euros. EPO needs to get down to work and make it happen enough of this s%$#!.

• Like it 1