Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

1 hour ago, PaoOle said:

Mandalos is a nice player but when both at their best Fortounis is better. Given that Mitroglou with all his strengths is slow, Fortounis speed makes him a better choice for NT. The problem is that Giannotas and Klonaridis that are fast, are not good for starters. Granted I have not watched Giannotas the last 2 years but i doubt he changed much. Poise and offensive quality (e.g, Donis) shows even in one game.

1 hour ago, ausgreek said:

Donis at RW, Kolovos at LW, Fortounis at AM then?

I agree. Fortounis is better. I still can't believe Mantalos missed that shot. I think it's time one of Mantalos or Fortounis sits out in the next match against Estonia. If Fortounis was to sit out then Mantalos plays attacking midfield. Which then leaves the right wing open to either Gianniotas or Manthatis. I'd like to see the later play as I think he has something to offer. If not play Gianniotas. Also Pelkas is a decent winger option. I also think Sokratis is out for one match so he will be ready for the Belgium match. I'd like to see Tachtsidis and Zeca start against Estonia. 

Manthatis needs some regular club time.....before we can see what he can do...

Remember Donis played for a very good Nice side this season..

I am still not sure where Kolovos best position is? Don;t think he is a classic LW.

Pelkas is not a certain starter at PAOK...

I think we play our best players in the 11...Mandalos and Fortounis would be in our best 11 more often than not today..

Kolovos is a CM if I'm not mistaken. He is long term injured currently. Michael Skibbe was planning to call him on the squad for the Belgium game but he got injured few days later. Kourbelis is his replacement at the moment. 

Dimitrios Kolovos is listed as 1 LW, 2 AM or 3 SS. He is a fwd according to Transfermkt. Also, Fountas has dropped off the radar, he is a LW. Pelkas is good there. Any of these in that position ahead of Mantalos.

A Donis is listed as a 1 CF, 2 SS and 3 LW,  yet he came on for Bakasetas on the RW if I'm not mistaken. Well, that must be his 4th position. He can probably play as a keeper as well.  

I am a National team fan first and foremost and an AEK fan secondly. I love Mantalos and what he brings to the table. He is being played out of position on the National team but he still does well. The opportunity he had should have been buried no doubt. It reminds me of the Gekas sitter vs these same same Bosnians that he missed. Almost as bad. Moving forward I would start Fortounis at CAM and Donis on the left and Karelis on the right (he will be back healthy I believe vs Estonia). I would bring Mantalos off the bench if Fortounis is having a bad game. Then we have options at wing like Gianniotas, Mantalos, Stafylidis and possibly Klonaridis. This will solidify us on the  wings and give us depth. I loved Donis looked very dangerous. Imagine a defense worrying about him and Karelis. This would free up Mitro and make us way more dangerous offensively.

Edited by Makynia

17 hours ago, ausgreek said:

After swinging my kompoloi I got from Greece, it came to me that the next team that the Skibbe reads out should be:

(Coach likes 4 2 3 1 format)                    

Orestis

Toro               Manolas         Sokratis               Stafyli

Samaris            Zeca

Gianniotas          Mantalos                  Donis

Mitroglou

Subs:

Vellios    Fortounis   Manthatis

Tachtsidis    Siopis    Kourbelis   Maniatis  

Kyriakos  Tzavellas   

Kapino    

Karelis still injured.                                      

KPapadopoulos is too good to be left on the bench. He has to be on the pitch for his skill and leadership, even if that means playing him out of natural position at DM alongside Samaris or Taxi. 

Edited by Argy

Home to Estonia is the perfect match to give Donis a start.  I think he gives us something in attack we are sorely lacking right now even though he is very young.  May as well get on board now and get him some experience he is part of the future.

Mantalos or Bakasetas take a seat.

Karelis is no good on the wing but Donis is. Gianniotas, Manthatis and Pelkas should be contenders for that right wing spot. 

Apparently Sturm Graz the team Lykogiannis plays for might sign Bouchalakis. I think it's not a bad move. But he should earn his spot in the Olympiakos starting 11. He is talented. He could be one of our main midfielder for Greece. 

Players like Charisis, Kolovos, Androutsos, Galanopoulos, Masouras, Lamprou and Limnios need to start working hard and have a solid season to be called up. Players like Kone, Ninis and Samaras seem to be fading away as the new generation look more than capable of being in this team. 

Kone, who will be 30 next month, can still compete for a callup next season. Same goes for Ninis who only recently turned 27. Samaras is done prematurely at 32. His career ended very suddenly; seems uninterested and may retire.  

But, yes, it's all about the next generation of Greek players planting their flag. 

Edited by Argy

Ok boythessss! There are these are our front three options, so which one wins?

1 Donis  Mitro Karelis

2 Mantalos  Mitro  Donis

3 Manthatis  Mitro  Donis

4 Manthatis  Mitro  Pelkas

5 Mantalos  Mitro  Pelkas

6 Mantalos  Mitro  Kone

7 Mantalos  Mitro  Lazaros

8 Karnezis  Kapino  Glykos

9 Donis  Mitro  Kone

10 Bakasetas  Mitro  Mantalos

11 Donis  Mitro Bouchalakis

So, which combination is best then?  (don't say Fetfa or Cholevas))

11 hours ago, ausgreek said:

Ok boythessss! There are these are our front three options, so which one wins?

1 Donis  Mitro Karelis

2 Mantalos  Mitro  Donis

3 Manthatis  Mitro  Donis

4 Manthatis  Mitro  Pelkas

5 Mantalos  Mitro  Pelkas

6 Mantalos  Mitro  Kone

7 Mantalos  Mitro  Lazaros

8 Karnezis  Kapino  Glykos

9 Donis  Mitro  Kone

10 Bakasetas  Mitro  Mantalos

11 Donis  Mitro Bouchalakis

So, which combination is best then?  (don't say Fetfa or Cholevas))

Haha number 8 is a good combination. In all seriousness Mantalos should not play right wing unless Pelkas, Manthatis and Gianniotas prove their not good enough. Bouchalakis is a central midfielder. Donis should play on the left. I also believe we need wingers for Fortounis to play well and overlapping fullbacks. 

8 hours ago, jason said:

It should be as the below:

--------------------------MItro

Donis-------------Fourtounis-------------GIANNIOTAS

--------TACHTSIDIS---------------Zeca

STAFYLIDIS------manolas-------socratis----------Toro

This should be the line up against Estonia.

Kpaps best pos is CB. He is a starting player for the Pirates though, agreed. This would mean Samaris would be on the bench and as far as the last match indicated, Virus deserves to be there as he was outstanding. Can anyone see Samaris being benched for KPaps or even Taxi? More chance of me having a chance with Kylie Jenner.

Manolas...Kyriacos...Sokratis

In a 3-4-3 is a nobrainer when healty they are 3 of our top 10 players..SO as a manager how can you have 1 on the bench!

Torosidis.....Samaris......Tachtsidis......Stafylidis

Donis...................Mitroglou..........Fortounis

It gives us so many more options going forward. and in the futur Giannotas

That would mean Taxi goes fwd as the AM when on the attack. Fortounis or Mantalos would offer more going fwd. Another option we could have is a second striker option like Karelis or Bakasetas - (as either are not wingbacks). The Skibbe is a 4 2 3 1 man, like most Greece coaches have been with the team. Probably always had two fullbacks since I can remember.

Can we at least agree that bakasteas  should not be starting for the NT as there much better options then him. I also would love to see Lazaros have a shot and Donis start getting more regular time with our team to see what he can do.

Yeah I agree about Bakasetas. But what does Skibbe see in him to start instead of Gianniotas? I like Bakasetas as a player but he is not worth to start at the moment especially on the wing. Can anyone guess why he started some matches? I believe he has decent touch and a good shot. That's about it. He can give a good ball now or then but is sometimes not as effective does everyone agree?

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic