Phantis Forums

Agia Sophia Stadium

nightsurfer

Jvc, as far as I know Kokkali has a fifty year lease from the Greek olympic committee but all the construction costs were paid by him without any government funding. If anyone can prove otherwise I'll eat that humble pie no problem.

Tzatziki you do realize that Kareskaki was renovated by the government for the Olympics....I've asked this many times before, can one gavro show that olympiacos fully paid for Kareskaki? What I know is...The owners of the stadium are, Hellenic Olympic committee, and Olympiakos have stopped making payments a long time ago! 60 million dollars of tax payers money, and from what I know Olympiakos doesn't even pay rent, or the promised 50 percent of their loan payment....So the government as it stands payed 80 percent of 60 million dollars for the renovations, maybe Kokalis payed 20 million but I don't believe it....I'll lean to the idea that he payed 7 million for a 60 million dollar stadium.

to start with the stadium was rebuilt not renovated.....and if the stadium is owned by Hellenic Olympic Committee and we pay rent or fees what is the issue?? 

Jvc, as far as I know Kokkali has a fifty year lease from the Greek olympic committee but all the construction costs were paid by him without any government funding. If anyone can prove otherwise I'll eat that humble pie no problem.

Ahahaha yea he payed for the whole thing to be constructed but opted to rent it rather than own it.......you need some logic pie too

I think you are over looking a very important issue.....

Karaiskaki was built on land owned by HOC. (thus the stadium is owned by HOC - defacto state owned)......Not land owned by the clubs...as in AEK's case...  Hence the free hold land at Karaiskaki is not owned by OSFP or any President etc....never will be..

Notwithstanding this the government needs to assist in major capital projects ..

I don't think funding is the issue currently with AEK......Its Greek bureaucracy...

For those of you old enough to remember...OSFP was planning to build a monster stadium at Rendi....but ran into many obstacles..from within and from the outside...

you may also recall that Karaiskaki was built in record time in 2003-04...for the Olympics....Athens 2004 tried to convince the IOC very late in the process that Rizoupoli was to be used for football matches....IOC rightly rejected this.....and Athens 2004 was forced to dig deep and get Karaiskaki built.....  Coincidentally  Kokkalis/osfp had spent millions to get Rizoupoli to a standard for GSL matches...(as it was our temporary home 2003-04)...  hence why today it still looks better than a lot of other stadiums..

Edited by RED SHERIFF

The foundations were put down for this stadium but it was never continued. Off-topic but could you let us know who scuppered this stadium that would have been the most impressive stadium in Greece. 120,000 seats!!

Gipedo_Renti.jpg

RentiOld.jpg

in hindsight it would have been a white elephant and a 1980s relic today...unless....it was upgraded somehow for Athens 2004...

I really can't see the use of a 120k stadium in Greece...nor in most parts of the world for regular league football.....

I don't really recall how.why this never went ahead....I suspect  Greek planning and bureaucracy...

There is a lot of illogical infighting and symbolic causes that lead to inaction in Greece...    let's assume that TEN years ago both AEK and PAO had proceeded with the proposals to build new stadia at ODDY and Votanikos.....would those clubs be better off today?    Probably yes...

although we hear a lot of chest beating and boring greek politics and side show conspiracies as to why PAO and AEK are better off now....

sometimes progress can only be made by letting go of the past..

• 1 month later...

A new stadium in Greece takes longer to build than the parthenon. 

Pao were supposed to have a new home 30 years ago, and we're still playing in a dilapidated old stadium......when Man Utd came to Athens to play Athinaikos in 1990 their players stood there marvelling at a stadium not seen in the UK since before the war....

AEK should have a new stadium by the turn of the new century, fingers crossed.

• Like it 1

A new stadium in Greece takes longer to build than the parthenon. 

Pao were supposed to have a new home 30 years ago, and we're still playing in a dilapidated old stadium......when Man Utd came to Athens to play Athinaikos in 1990 their players stood there marvelling at a stadium not seen in the UK since before the war....

AEK should have a new stadium by the turn of the new century, fingers crossed.

I am sure a lot of uefa stadia in 1990 were of similar standard,,,,