Phantis Forums

UEFA punishes Greek NT

Ziaka

UEFA has punished Greece with 2 games to be played without fans because of the fan violence during the game with Turkey.

Of interest is that this punishment applies only to the Karaiskaki Stadium. As a result EPO will shedule the next two games (Hungary, Moldova) to be played in Pankrytio Stadium in Iraklio and will take place with fans present.

I knew this would come!

Kala na pathone! That way the Greek fans better learn to show some civilization towards the opposing players even if they are Turks. The same goes to the Turkish fans if they are to do the exact same thing towards the Greeks. ;)

The punishment is less than what they deserved! :tdown:

It was a disgrace to watch all those missiles being fired at the Turks. When will they ever learn? :(

Btw, does UEFA think that Cretans are more civilised than Pireotes??? :huh:

The punishment was indeed soft.

I am sure it had to do with what team Greece was playing, the fact that they were under a punishment themselves, the well known tense relations between the two nations and finally the fact that Greece is the current EUROPEAN CHAMPION.

Against any other country, or before Euro '04, I would have expected a more severe punishment.

Looks like Pankritio, for the next two games.

What a terrific opportunity for all of Crete, to show their legendary passion, and support ELLADARA!

Fill the stands and behave kopelia!!! :gr:

PEACE

UEFA.COM ARTICLE

Greece given stadium ban

Wednesday, 25 April 2007

Greece must play their next two home UEFA EURO 2008™ qualification matches away from Athens in the wake of disturbances at their game against Turkey on 24 March.

FA fine

UEFA’s Control & Disciplinary Body ruled today that Greece must stage their 2 and 6 June qualifiers against Hungary and Moldova respectively at least 250km from the Greek capital. The Hellenic Football Federation (EPO)has also been fined CHF100,000 (€61,000) after incidents at the Georgios Karaiskakis stadium during the 4-1 defeat by Turkey which included fireworks and missiles being thrown, racist banners displayed and a general lack of organisation. The EPO has also been ordered “to ban extremist supporter groups from matches of the Greek national teams”.

Oslo incidents

The disciplinary body has also punished the Norwegian Football Association (NFF) and the Football Federation of Bosnia-Herzegovina (NSBiH) for incidents at their UEFA EURO 2008™ meeting on the same day. The NFF has been fined CHF30,000 (€18,300) for insufficient searching of fans before the game in Oslo, which Bosnia-Herzegovina won 2-1, while the NSBiH must pay CHF60,000 (€36,600) for the conduct of their supporters including missile-throwing. All three associations will have three days to appeal after the receipt of the written grounds for the decisions.

It was coming guys and we all knew it :rolleyes:

Is it more of a punishment to have an empty stadium - or to force the NT to move games to another country which could be filled with Greek fans????

I thnik this is less of a punishment - but the Turks have done well playing in Germany

Apparently EPO has decided that the next 4 NT games will be played outside of Karaiskaki. The next two games will be at Pankrytio as ordered by UEFA, and the 2 games after that will probably be split between Pankyprio and OAKA.

Not even a foreign country! We're talking Crete here!

(even if UEFA forced us to play in a foreign country, guess which "foreign" country that would be...koumbare)

The punishment was certainly lenient but I think UEFA placed the incident into context. The Greek NT fans have been a model for the whole world in recent years, both at home and abroad. Considering the team we were playing and the current political situation it was to be expected. Of course there was a security failure which is inexcusable so the home ban and fine had to happen. If you look at other countries:

Croatia: Created a human swaztika in the crowd in the friendly against Italy just after the W/C.

Spain: The racist monkey chants at England's black players.

Turkey:... no comment.

The punishments were VERY lenient. Croatia and Spain faced no punishment and Turkey's 4 game ban was ridiculous. So when comparing the isolated Greek incident it really isn't as bad as the above and doesn't really warrant a harsher punishment. HOWEVER, imo opinion the above incidents deserved harsh/er punishments in which case so did we. As for EPO deciding to move an extra 2 games away from Karaiskaki... what are they hoping to acheive apart from further disrupt the teams consistency?

One thing I'm unclear about, will we be allowed fans in Crete?

The punishment was certainly lenient but I think UEFA placed the incident into context.  The Greek NT fans have been a model for the whole world in recent years, both at home and abroad. Considering the team we were playing and the current political situation it was to be expected. Of course there was a security failure which is inexcusable so the home ban and fine had to happen. If you look at other countries:

Croatia: Created a human swaztika in the crowd in the friendly against Italy just after the W/C.

Spain:  The racist monkey chants at England's black players.

Turkey:... no comment.

The punishments were VERY lenient. Croatia and Spain faced no punishment and Turkey's 4 game ban was ridiculous. So when comparing the isolated Greek incident it really isn't as bad as the above and doesn't really warrant a harsher punishment.  HOWEVER, imo opinion the above incidents deserved harsh/er punishments in which case so did we. As for EPO deciding to move an extra 2 games away from Karaiskaki... what are they hoping to acheive apart from further disrupt the teams consistency?

One thing I'm unclear about, will we be allowed fans in Crete?

Dude, what about the incident that happened in Oslo? The part that Norwegian fans throw missles or other heavy debries on the pitch I think before or during the match against Bosnian players. :tdown: All they recieved was a fine from UEFA. :angry: They should have received a home ban at least 2 matches, but not more than that because of the surverity of the incident, not quite as bad as the one in Greece.

As for EPO deciding to move an extra 2 games away from Karaiskaki... what are they hoping to acheive apart from further disrupt the teams consistency?

the fine is actually a positive thing. monopolising karaiskaki for the ethniki sucked from day one and never brought us or olympiakos any luck. it seems a cursed gipedo :)

playing in crete is o.k. and the fact that the epo leaves the karaiskaki for good is great too. the last game against malta is to be played in the oaka. the disgusting thing is that they dont give any game to thessaloniki.

...what a fake from UEFA .... there is no ban of fans???? Just outside Athens??

Everybody of you saw the fire thrown on players .... our players could be injured very dangerous ....

Just on game without fans would be enough but just OUTSIDE??? I forget that UEFA is also in Switzerland....

Posted Image

Looking at the bans on Greece and Bosnia, and comparing them to our initial 6-game ban after the brawl between only the players in the Turkey-Suisse match, I'm just laughing at how UEFA disciplinary committee or whatever the name, becomes a laughing stock..

Bosnia: Fans threw missiles all over the pitch and they were given the same ban with Norway, the hosts whose sole fault was the lack of adequate security controls before the match

Greece: Fans threw everything they had to our players after 1-1 (missiles, bottles, tokmaks...etc)

DUDE: No comment.. about your inexplicable hatred for Turkey.. :LOL:

turkey never got a ban when their supporters hurled bottles and anything they could get thier hands on when they played macedonia a couple of years ago turkey won 3-2 but the turkish supporters took offence to macedonia scoring and started hurling things at the macedonian players, also while a player was down getting treatment he was still being pelted by the turkish fans. turkey only got a fine of around 10000 euros, so guys don't pretend to be shocked that greece didn't get a ban and you're wrong to imply that if it was turkey you would have recieved a ban.

I can understand the surprise of our turkish friends here...but I think that UEFA recognised that themselves had made the mistake to assign a match beetween Greece and Turkey

on March 24,March 25 eve...

I dont know if in Turkey the people know the meaning of this date,but for us the Neo-Greeks is important.On March 25 1821 the Greeks of Peloponisos declared the revolution against the Turks..

Now even if the years have passed and noone gives a F***(excuse me for my language)

about Turkey and what happens there,you must admit that in this particular date even the most calm and indifferent Greek feels a deep hatred(hate?) against your nation.

If this game was assigned on July for example non of this ridiculus and uncivilized things would happen.It would be a game just like the other 2 years ago...

If you can remember in the past, for Greece and Turkey,the possibility to play against in a tournament or in playoff or playout was 1 in I dont know how millions...

The first step of our "civilized" countries was made first in Basketball and I beleive that the "others "of Europe saw that we were ready for the next step...Soccer.And things were going right,or not?

But we(Greeks and Turks) are not ready yet,to face each other in a game on a date like this,revolution s eve..Greeks and Turks are not ready to leave their past behind...

Just like I said UEFA made a mistake and they realised it after..

Looking at the bans on Greece and Bosnia, and comparing them to our initial 6-game ban after the brawl between only the players in the Turkey-Suisse match, I'm just laughing at how UEFA disciplinary committee or whatever the name, becomes a laughing stock..

Bosnia: Fans threw missiles all over the pitch and they were given the same ban with Norway, the hosts whose sole fault was the lack of adequate security controls before the match

Greece: Fans threw everything they had to our players after 1-1 (missiles, bottles, tokmaks...etc)

my turkish friend, i may understand your anger, etc. but lets put things into perspective here.

greece has never had any negative publicity with the NT for the lst 10 years in terms of fan behavior, flares, crowd violence. even when greece and turkey played each other in 2004, there was no single incident. even the club teams have gotten much better, except an occassional flare thereis no violence ever. all this is taken into account by the uefa.

turkeys fine wasnt just for the brawl. this was only the tip of the iceberg. lets not discuss all teh incidents turkey produced in the last years. from officials beating the german under-21 national team to keeping latvian players for hours at the border, leeds fans being killed, etc. it wasnt just a brawl between the players in the switzerland game. swiss players were terrorised the minute they arrived in turkey, the securtiy behaved outrageous etc. NO ONE in his right mind can actually deny a mismatch if comparing turkey to greece here. plus your ban got reduced so turkish fans should be the last to point the finger.

so yes maybe a game without spectators would be appropriate but first-time offenders get a ban of the ground in question. if thats the uefa rule, then so be it. turkey was fined by the fifa, they may have a harsher catalogue. i dont know and i would have accepted any decision. everything else is somewhat ridiculous.

I can understand the surprise of our turkish friends here...but I think that UEFA recognised that themselves had made the mistake to assign a match beetween Greece and Turkey

on March 24,March 25 eve...

I dont know if in Turkey the people know the meaning of this date,but for us the Neo-Greeks is important.On March 25 1821 the Greeks of Peloponisos declared the revolution against the Turks..

Now even if the years have passed and noone gives a F***(excuse me for my language)

about Turkey and what happens there,you must admit that in this particular date even the most calm and indifferent Greek feels a deep hatred(hate?) against your nation.

If this game was assigned on July for example non of this ridiculus and uncivilized things would happen.It would be a game just like the other 2 years ago...

If you can remember in the past, for Greece and Turkey,the possibility to play against in a tournament or in playoff or playout was 1 in I dont know how millions...

The first step of our "civilized" countries was made first in Basketball and I beleive that the "others "of Europe saw that we were ready for the next step...Soccer.And things were going right,or not?

But we(Greeks and Turks) are not ready yet,to face each other in a game on a date like this,revolution s eve..Greeks and Turks are not ready to leave their  past behind...

Just like I said UEFA made a mistake and they realised it after..

this has nothing to do with the history of greece and turkey this does not concern me i am not political or religious, i was just a little dissapointed in gs and turkcell for implying that turkey would have been dealt with more severely, this is just not true as my previous post (turkey v macedonia) states also aekrossoponti makes some excellent points.

If I think back to the game I can understand the emotions of Greek fans on this special date....But for the Turks it was just a special game cause Greece is the Euro Champ and not cause of history.

Sure we think about the history if we play against Greece in any kind of sports but I dont know a Turk who hates any Greek...

If I see Greek people I cant see a difference to Turks .... there are little differences ....

red and blue

Islam and Christian (but we believe to one common God,also Muslims believe in Jesus) so lets teach our children the good side of our people

ah yes this is a soccer forum :

We stopped Norway for Greece .... So our teams now are in comfortable position with 12 and 13 pts.

I believe Greece will beat Hungary and Moldova and Turkey has to eliminate Bosnia before they think that they have chance....

@for GS1905 : Türkiye müslüman bir ülke , ve bizim bayramiz ve tarihimiz hicbir zaman laik olmamistir ..... Benim dinim laiklik degil _ Biz Osmanli torunu degilmigiz ? Simdi dinimiz laiklik mi ????????

@for GS1905 : Türkiye müslüman bir ülke , ve bizim bayramiz ve tarihimiz hicbir zaman laik olmamistir ..... Benim dinim laiklik degil _ Biz Osmanli torunu degilmigiz ? Simdi dinimiz laiklik mi ????????

Could you translate that? I don't speak Turkish...

Archived