Phantis Forums

Anderlecht - AEK Athens

dark_horse

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just over a year ago Ferrer's Real Betis defeated Anderlecht in Belgium 1-0 ina group stage match. Could that be an omen? This is going to be the most important game in AEK's Champions League history. Even with key players out through injury, AEK has a chance because it is going out to win the game and not simply rely on (a severely depleted) Milan defeating Lille. Good luck.

I hope I'm wrong but I think AEK will HAVE to win to qualify. Lille will be up for it and Milan don't give a s%$#!. PLUS, Lille are in form, coming in from an excellent 1-3 win away at Nancy. Milan haven't won a game in over a month!!! AEKARA please win in Belgium and fly the Greek flag high!! :gr:

I hope I'm wrong but I think AEK will HAVE to win to qualify. Lille will be up for it and Milan don't give a s%$#!. PLUS, Lille are in form, coming in from an excellent 1-3 win away at Nancy. Milan haven't won a game in over a month!!! AEKARA please win in Belgium and fly the Greek flag high!!  :gr:

GO AEK!!!!

SUPPORT OUR TEAMS IN EUROPE!!!

GO PAO!!

This is one of the most important games in our history! We could pass out of the Group stages for the first time and bring some much-needed points for Greece. :gr:

We need our players to play for that two-headed eagle on their chest and for glory.

I hope I'm wrong but I think AEK will HAVE to win to qualify. Lille will be up for it and Milan don't give a s%$#!. PLUS, Lille are in form, coming in from an excellent 1-3 win away at Nancy. Milan haven't won a game in over a month!!! AEKARA please win in Belgium and fly the Greek flag high!! :gr:

i think your right, i think aek has to win :gr:

im nervous im very worried about this match got a bunch of guys injuired and from what ive read ander are not gonna lie down and spread em there gunnin for a uefa spot :unsure: :( dellas out emerson out lagos out ivic out ive lite my candles over my aek banner said my prayers kissed my religious icones and hope he answer and delivers cuz ander will be ready for us optimistic score 1-1 realistic score 2-0 for ander and hope milan finally bag a win how often do you say milan are desperate for a win :ph34r: do it aek for greece for greek football restor some pride in europe were others have failed you know who u are? pame aek fire it up :box: :gr: :box:

... ive lite my candles over my aek banner said my prayers kissed my religious icones and hope he answer and delivers ...

I came into work wearing a yellow shirt, black trousers and a black jacket!

Haven't been this excited over an AEK game in years! :)

Match preview

AEK and Anderlecht seek reward

Wednesday, 6 December 2006

Having masterminded AEK Athens FC's remarkable turnaround in UEFA Champions League Group H, ambitious coach Lorenzo Serra Ferrer intends to finish the job and book a last-16 place at bottom side RSC Anderlecht on Wednesday.

Race for second

Successive wins at home to LOSC Lille Metropole and AC Milan have left the Greek team needing only to better the French club's result in Italy to claim second spot behind the Rossoneri, and Serra Ferrer is confident his men can overcome their away-day troubles. AEK have not triumphed in eleven trips aborad at this level, but victory in Brussels would guarantee their passage, leading the Spaniard to explain: "We keep evolving as a team because we like to take risks. I think we're ready to take the next step and get an away win, so I only hope we don't lack self-confidence."

'Stress is good'

Fresh from securing eight straight league successes, confidence should not be a problem, and Serra Ferrer insists the pressure will not affect his players. "Of course there is stress, but that's completely normal," he said. "It's good to be in a stressful position because it means we are still in contention, but if we work hard everything will be fine. I'll make it clear to the team how big a chance this is for them, and it would be a massive achievement for the club as well."

Attacking philosophy

Injuries will complicate their task, with captain Traianos Dellas and midfield linchpin Emerson absent - along with Ifeanyi Udeze, Vladimir Ivic and Panagiotis Lagos - yet the Athens outfit are set to field an attacking lineup. "My philosophy is always offensive, and even more so far a match like this," added Serra Ferrer, who should start Vassilios Lakis in a 4-4-2 formation after the foraging midfielder set up both goals for Juilo Cesar in Saturday's 2-0 win against Ionikos FC.

UEFA Cup hopes

The accent will be on attack in the opposition camp too, with Anderlecht still hopeful of grabbing a UEFA Cup spot. For that to happen, the Belgian champions must hope Milan defeat Lille while they themselves see off AEK. Trainer Franky Vercauteren sees enough reasons to be optimistic. "We want to beat them and we believe in ourselves," he said. "One of our goals this season was to continue our European adventure after Christmas and we still have every chance. If we don't like that, we might as well forget about the match now."

September draw

In contrast with AEK, Les Mauves need to address their home form before Wednesday's tie, having starved the locals of a victory in this tournament since 25 November 2003. Second in Belgium following Friday's draw at KSK Beveren, they will also be without suspened centre-back Jelle Van Damme, though Argentinian striker Nicolas Frutos is available again and both Mbo Mpenza and Lucas Biglia appear on track to be fit. In addition, Anderlecht are the only Group H team to have left Athens with a point, thanks to Frutos's strike in September's 1-1 draw. "I'm expecting AEK to be better than they were - but I'm also expecting Anderlecht to be better," concluded Vercauteren.

Probable teams

Anderlecht: Daniel Zitka, Anthony Vanden Borre, Nicolas Pareja, Mark De Man, Olivier Deschacht, Lucas Biglia, Mbark Boussoufa, Ahmed Hassan, Bart Goor, Mohamed Tchite, Nicolas Frutos.

AEK: Stefano Sorrentino, Martin Pautasso, Bruno Cirillo, Socratis Papastathopoulos, Nikolaos Georgeas, Vassilios Lakis, Gustavo Manduca, Akis Zikos, Daniel Tozser, Juilo Cesar, Nikolaos Liberopoulos.

Archived