Phantis Forums
Argy

Odysseas Vlachodimos - S.L. Benfica

It seems to be official that Odysseas Vlachodimos has been cleared by FIFA to represent Greece, and is expected to be called up as soon as the upcoming Nations League matches vs Finland and Estonia in a couple of weeks. 

• Like it 1

Called up to the NT. Potential Greek #1 for the next decade. Important moment for the ethniki and credit to EPO taking the necessary steps to get FIFA approval, before he becomes too good and Germany comes knocking.

• Like it 2

He will be a great goalie for the ETHNIKI for years to come.

• Like it 1

Odysseas is linked to some huge European clubs such as Manchester United, new castle, Roma, Arsenal and Chelsea. I’m pretty sure Arsenal’s cech is retiring this summer.

could be just talk but it’s nice to see some of our players being discussed as candidates for top clubs

I think Benfica is going to sell him, looking for a profit.  They are also linked to the backup goalie from Barca, can't see them spending 20 million on a gk and then having Vlaho on the bench...

• Like it 1

Must have done well at Benfica... I think he is overrated 

He is considered one of their top players.  A Portuguese friend of mine raves about him, how he single handedly kept them in some games...

“In 2019 the Benfica GK currently leads Europe’s top 10 leagues in Clean Sheets (8) & Goals Conceded (3) with a 90% save rate”

yet we will play any goalie besides him lmao.

• Like it 3

On 11/4/2019 at 7:37 AM, Bardouuu said:

“In 2019 the Benfica GK currently leads Europe’s top 10 leagues in Clean Sheets (8) & Goals Conceded (3) with a 90% save rate”

yet we will play any goalie besides him lmao.

He plays only in Portugal while Barkas plays for a Super League team! Im sure that counts.

It may be that Barkas has more familiarity with his defenders.  Maybe he Vlaho cant communicate in Greek? Not sure....

Do you forget he has started for us and was not great? Just because he plays at Benfica we MUST start this guy? I don't get the hype, big deal, it's the Portuguese league, it's not that much better than the Super League. 

Barkas has been much more consistent and hasn't had brain failures like Vlacho has for the ethniki. He he get more games, don't stress. I just hope he does not s%$#! the bed like he has previously. 

Ummmmm.....Vlacho, Barkas and Paschalakis have all had brain farts at the NT at one time or another....but don't forget the perfomances in front of the keepers haven't been great either. Let them duke it out in practice and who ever deserves the start will get it (according to JVS). I don't think it will make a big difference and if there are any other keepers who deserve a look they should get a shot....often keepers on the lower teams get overlooked even though they usually get a lot more work during games and must perform at a higher level just to survive....food for thought.

It's too bad Paschalakis can't get his s#!t together as he has all the physical tools to be a top notch keeper if only he could stay calm and get the bone headed theatrics out of his game.

The key for the NT is to have stable and consistent goalkeeping and to not give away freebies to the opposition. I don't really think there is a clear cut number one atm.

The truth it doesn’t matter who we put at keeper. They are more or else the same. As all have had ups and downs. I like how we have rotated players in this position as it creates competition for a spot. 

But if I have had to pick a keeper I’d choose Vlachodimos as the number 1. He is more talented and plays champions league. He’s got more of a future than Paschalakis. Paschalakis is overrated in my opinion. Barkas is more reliable than he is and is a solid number 2 option. We can’t forget others like Dioudis who has impressed many times and also that young player that plays in Bulgaria is one to keep your eye on. Dioudis should be 3rd choice going forward. 

Edited by Dean97

Paschalakis has been a bench warmer nowadays... Im sure he shouldnt be called up until he cannot get his place back.

A lot of talk about him making a move to Ajax. They really want him over there as they suspect their current keeper Onana will be departing at the end of the season.

vlachodimos is having a great season on the other hand comparable to some of the best goalies in Europe in regards to number of clean sheets and percentage of shots blocked 

Ajax is a big club, but relatively so is Benfica. Seems like a lateral move to me. Would much rather see him move to a top tier club/league. 

• Like it 1