1. 1. Will Greece beat Moldova?

• Yes
    • No
    • Draw

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great game overall by Greece.

We played consevatively in the first 20 minutes, but after that we controlled the rest of the match.

It is great to get off to a winning start, if we drew or lost it would've been very hard to get going again (remember Albania).

A win is a win, it is also excellent because we won away from home. Also, even the best teams scrape wins (Latvia 0-1 Sweden, Serbia 1-0 Azerbaijan, Czech Republic 2-1 Wales, Luxermbourg 0-1 Holland)

Lymbe, Salp, Dellas, Kyrgiakos, Seitaridis, Karagounis were the stand outs today. Zago please retire before you break your leg. You have done your time! The rest were quite silent, Amanatidis, Katso, Fyssas, Clooney, Charisteas.

Next game we must start Salp and Lymbe. Bring off Zago (Salp into midfield) and bring off Charisteas.

If the basketball team win it means they won the euro and the world cup. Then it's up to the soccer team to live up to their expectations and win the euro again to make it two from two.

07/09/2005 Slovenia 1-2 Wcq

03/09/2005 Belarus 2-0 Wcq

30/03/2005 Norway 1-0 Wcq

13/10/2004 Scotland 1-1 Wcq

08/09/2004 Italy 0-1 Wcq

Moldova at home in WC qualifying last time out

let in 4 goals total in 5 games

So these guys are decent

We should be happy that we did not started this campaign like we did in the WCq.3 points in an away game is not bad.We could and should play even better and score more goals in the next games plus keep having a strong defence. :gr:

I was also disapointed of Amanatidis...

I regulary watch him in the German Bundesliga...and there he is much more efficacious and attractive as a striker..... I was expecting much more of him as a striker in that game .....and he did not show any class here.... but he fighted well on the defensive part...

And for those, who didn't see it....but know football.... and even for those, who don't know football but talk about... Amanatidis could have destroyed our win.....

As the Goal that we scored, was in fact offside......

You might not read it in any Greek Media or from any Forum Participant... but when nightsurfer says something about football, so read carefully in order to learn...

After the corner ... Lyberopoulos heads the ball...

On the Goalline is one player of Moldawia... then nearer to the Goalline Amanatidis....then comes the Goalkeeper of Moldawia...

In order to be Onside you need Two adverse Players in front of you....not one adverse defender.....

When the ball comes to the Moldawia Goalkeeper and he wants to defend...Amatidis with high foot distrubs the Goalkeeper with even body contact...standing in an offsied e position.... = OFFSIDE

The Penalty was severe but you can give it

Greece's biggest problem is the midfield...with no class payer.

With such a midfield, you can not advance high...

There are only donkey players that run and work..... but no Sunshine like Tsartas or similar in his best days.....

That's our biggest problem.... and I can not understand it ... usually Greeks are creativ and innovativ people...when you hear them talking... ;)

The other results in our group:

Hungary 1 - 4 Norway

Malta 2 - 5 Bosnia-Herzegovina

And we can only beat Moldova 1 - 0

Moldova away is a tough game, many will drop points there, I guarantee it!!! It was a good result and performance.

Our movement of the ball was very good in the second half as was the way we held a high defensive line.

If I'd give a rating for our players it would be:

Nikopolidis: 6 Wasn't really troubled, his kicking wasn't great at times but he did seem composed when opposing attackers were trying to close him down.

Fyssas: 6 Wasn't particularly impressive, seemed to lose the ball alot but he worked hard and won the ball in key areas.

Dellas: 8 Read the game excellently, sweeping up any potential danger before it emerged.

Kyriakos: 8 Like Dellas was always there, never stopped working and showed he can be the permanent replacement for Kapsis.

Seitaridis: 8 One of our best players today, esp in the 2nd half. Won the ball in key areas and galloped forward at every opportunity. He always provided an outlet and showed excellent awareness of play.

Karagounis 8 Worked hard and won many free kicks in dangerous areas. His corner taking was terrible but overall he was dangerous throughout. Very good performance, would have got a 9 were it not for his corners.

Basinas: 8 Would have got a higher rating were it not for the penalty. His set pieces were good and along with Karagounis he was the heart of any move we made and nobody worked harder than him, i'll be surprised they are any soles left on his boots! Bravo Angele mou!

Katsouranis: 7 Worked hard, appeared to lack ideas though always seemed to pass backwards. Even when he went around the keeper he tried to pass! <_<

Zagorakis 5 Is undoubtedly a Greek legend and a sporting leader, I hope he manages our ethniki one day, but for now his playing days appear to be over. He constantly lost the ball and lacked that ability to win the ball in key areas which he was always excellent at.

Amanatidis: 7 Excellent in the first half and faded in the second. Particularly toward the end when he failed to track his runner as we were trying to close out the game.

Charisteas: 5 Has been the same since that injury for Ajax. He should be dropped until/if he refinds himself at Feyenord.

SUBS:

Lyberopoulos: 9 Got the goal and was an excellent link man. In the second half we held a high defensive line creating a midfield triangle between Karagounis, Basinas, and Lyberopoulos. That triangle was excellent! I expected something every time he got on the ball. Bravo Otto, justified selection over Samaras.

Salpingidis: 8 Always makes things happen through his workrate. His runs were excellent and his movement very good. Has to start next game.

Anatolakis: 7 On for the last few minutes but it was a crucial period and he won every header that came his way.

Otto: 9 Made positive changes when things weren't working and got a result away from home. Personally I would have like Pap to have been introduced also but we can't fault his decisions because of the improvement in the 2nd half!

BRAVO ELLADARA! :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:
Ethinikistis,

I think you're a very bright and perceptive guy, but you can't be serious with your ratings. I should say that I haven't seen the match except for the goal.

But realistically how could anyone get a near perfect score of 9/10 when we clearly didn't annihilate them.

Your rating of Otto's coaching in my opinion is way too generous. He deserves a 1/10 for the last 2 years and from the sounds of things he wasn't responsible for turning this game from a draw to win.

Just my opinion. Also I do stand corrected about Jose Mourinho. He is an exceptional manager it's just that he is an arrogant jerk sometimes.

IN OTTO WE TRUST....

I believe everyone will jump on "I LOVE OTTO" bandwagon again now...

Sure.... Because most people can't handle the truth: Otto should retire and our team's performances (in the last 2 years) show that we're in a very bad shape.

If--and I don't see ANY reason to expect any better as things are now--our team continues to play like this, it won't even be a contest.... we won't even make it back to Euro 2008 to defend our title.

It was good until it lasted. :gr:

PS>I value ..reality, you know, so when some people get full of themselves (media, players, managers, fans) then I know the situation is really bad. By the way, Greeks invented the word HUBRIS...

Other group games were interesting

Bosnia beat up on Malta

It looks like norway is wicked with a huge road win - but if you saw the golas :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Hungary defence and goaltending gifted 3 of the 4 - one through the keepers legs from 20 yards out - good I hope the Norwegans are overconfident whenthey play us :gr:

Nikopolidis: 6

Fyssas: 6

Dellas: 8

Kyriakos: 8

Seitaridis: 8

Karagounis 8

Basinas: 8

Katsouranis: 7

Zagorakis 5

Amanatidis: 7

Charisteas: 5

SUBS:

Lyberopoulos: 9

Salpingidis: 8

Anatolakis: 7

Otto: 9

:gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

Ethinikistis,

I think you're a very bright and perceptive guy, but you can't be serious with your ratings. I should say that I haven't seen the match except for the goal.

But realistically how could anyone get a near perfect score of 9/10 when we clearly didn't annihilate them.

Your rating of Otto's coaching in my opinion is way too generous. He deserves a 1/10 for the last 2 years and from the sounds of things he wasn't responsible for turning this game from a draw to win.

Just my opinion. Also I do stand corrected about Jose Mourinho. He is an exceptional manager it's just that he is an arrogant jerk sometimes.

Geia sou file mou.

The ratings I gave were merely for last nights game, taking into account the fixture and pitch conditions. Moldova really are a decent side, a team doesnt have to annihilate them to get great ratings imo. Last year Italy only managed to beat them 1-0 in the qualifiers through a Del Piero goal and I GUARUNTEE that AT LEAST one of the top sides in our group (Turkey, Norway, Bosnia) will drop points there! Like all Romanian-schools of football they are good passing sides and they generate quite a good atmosphere, plus their pitch is horrendous! Its a tricky tie.

At times in the first half they were moving the ball wonderfully and really giving our midfield the run around but even then our centre-backs were solid! In terms of mistakes I'd actually give Kyriakos and Dellas a 9/10 because they didnt make any, that is particularly impressive when they were under pressure in the conditions (heavy rain, poor surface, etc). However taking into account the quality of the opposition I gave them an 8.

Basinas, for me, was the player that made me most proud however. His workrate and passing was exceptional! He's a holding midfielder that also pulls the strings, so his job if to win the ball, work hard and open up play with passes. He did exactly that, he missed the penalty though so I gave him an 8 instead of a 9.

Karagounis I gave an 8, but in retrospect I stand corrected, even if his corners were great I'd stick with 8. I'd also change Katsouranis' rating from a 7 to 6. Having said this I'd stick with Lymperopoulos' 9. Don't forget he was a sub. He came on, linked play beautifully and got the match winning goal. What more could someone want from a sub?

As for Otto... I agree file mou, over the past year (since the Confederations Cup) he hasnt lived up to expectation. But there were games within that he was great. Against Turkey away and Ukraine at home he was spot on tactically. Against Kazahkstan away, Turkey home, the whole Confed Cup, except maybe Mexico game, and against England he was terrible. On last nights game alone however he made all the right moves. His subs all performed brilliantly and they were introduced at the right times... EARLY! I think he deserved his rating file mou.

btw ty for the complimet! I thought you were hitting on me for a moment! :P

As for Otto... I agree file mou, over the past year (since the Confederations Cup) he hasnt lived up to expectation. But there were games within that he was great. Against Turkey away and Ukraine at home he was spot on tactically. Against Kazahkstan away, Turkey home, the whole Confed Cup, except maybe Mexico game, and against England he was terrible. On last nights game alone however he made all the right moves. His subs all performed brilliantly and they were introduced at the right times... EARLY! I think he deserved his rating file mou.

ever since the euro he has produced very little!!! there was one good half against the danes in greece and maybe the ukraine game in greece and the mexico game but apart from that not a single performance worthy of a team that won the euro.

his selection and sub policy is part of the problem here. i will not go into detail but there are numerous mistakes that cost us. as for yesterday, yes he made the subs but on the other hand he shouldnt have fielded zago and charisteas in the first place.

i didnt think amanatidis was that great, as he is not a winger. i am very interested to see whether lympe can produce more greatness on the regular...problem is, he is very slow. still much better than charisteas because he can PLAY football. i am just afraid he will vanish in the big games as he did against the danes and numerous other times in the past...

in any case though what matters is the three points! lets hope we grow with our tasks...

aekrossoponti the reason Lybe "vanished" in the Denmark game was because he was used up front strictly as a striker. In Moldova he was an attacking mid which is his natural position, and things obviously worked out better. Overall I thought the game was okay; we created chances and got the 3 points but they will improve. Zagorakis should not be playing at all; he did nothing and he's close to retirement. Amanatidis did not have a good game but he has the the ability and will pick things up. It was his first time playing the full 90 minutes w/ the NT. Katsouranis and Kyriakos both had good games. It was raining after all.

I regulary watch him in the German Bundesliga...and there he is much more efficacious and attractive as a striker..... I was expecting much more of him as a striker in that game .....and he did not show any class here.... but he fighted well on the defensive part...

And for those, who didn't see it....but know football.... and even for those, who don't know football but talk about... Amanatidis could have destroyed our win.....

You might not read it in any Greek Media or from any Forum Participant... but when nightsurfer says something about football, so read carefully in order to learn...

On the Goalline is one player of Moldawia... then nearer to the Goalline Amanatidis....then comes the Goalkeeper of Moldawia...

In order to be Onside you need Two adverse Players in front of you....not one adverse defender.....

When the ball comes to the Moldawia Goalkeeper and he wants to defend...Amatidis with high foot distrubs the Goalkeeper with even body contact...standing in an offsied e position.... = OFFSIDE

There are only donkey players that run and work..... but no Sunshine like Tsartas or similar in his best days.....

That's our biggest problem.... and I can not understand it ... usually Greeks are creativ and innovativ people...when you hear them talking... ;)

However amanatidis was not interfering with play as he did not touch the ball therfore the goal stands anyway.

When the ball comes to the Moldawia Goalkeeper and he wants to defend...Amatidis with high foot distrubs the Goalkeeper with even body contact...standing in an offsied e position....  =  OFFSIDE

There are only donkey players that run and work..... but no Sunshine like Tsartas or  similar in his best days.....

That's our biggest problem.... and I can not understand it ... usually Greeks are creativ and innovativ people...when you hear them talking...  ;)

However amanatidis was not interfering with play as he did not touch the ball therfore the goal stands anyway.

Re read the offside rules...you can learn something....

Half Time Norway - Moldawia 0 : 0

Is a surprise coming ? :rolleyes:

Archived