dark_horse

Will Greece beat Moldova?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Will Greece beat Moldova?

• Yes
    • No
    • Draw

Well, out of the available players, this would be the formation I'd use:

--------------------------------------Nikopolidis---------------------------------------------

Seitaridis-----------------Dellas------------------Kyriakos----------------------Fyssas

-----------Katsouranis----------------Basinas-----------------------Lagos-----------------

--------------------------------------Karagounis---------------------------------------------

-------------------------Amanatidis---------------Salpignidis-------------------------------

At least Salp puts in the effort and Amanatidis has been playing well. Basinas could anchor this midfield well (his play with Mallorca and against England proves that). Kats and Kara are still quality players and Lagos deserves a shot. Kyriakos should be starting and as for the other guys on D, patience is running thin. Giourkas and Fyssas still deserve a spot.

Throw in ONE OF Lybe/Charisteas as a late sub if goals are hard to come by.

I think Otto made a mistake in not picking Samaras and Stelios will be a big loss.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

--------------------------------------Nikopolidis---------------------------------------------

Seitaridis-----------------Dellas------------------Kyriakos----------------------Fyssas

-----------Katsouranis----------------Basinas-----------------------Lagos-----------------

--------------------------------------Karagounis---------------------------------------------

-------------------------Amanatidis---------------Salpignidis-------------------------------

At least Salp puts in the effort and Amanatidis has been playing well. Basinas could anchor this midfield well (his play with Mallorca and against England proves that). Kats and Kara are still quality players and Lagos deserves a shot. Kyriakos should be starting and as for the other guys on D, patience is running thin. Giourkas and Fyssas still deserve a spot.

I think Otto made a mistake in not picking Samaras and Stelios will be a big loss.

Katsouranis----------------Basinas-------------Karagounis---------------------Lagos

-------------------------Amanatidis---------------Salpignidis--------------------------

Just a minor correction to the team.

Katsouranis----------------Basinas-------------Karagounis---------------------Lagos

-------------------------Amanatidis---------------Salpignidis--------------------------

Just a minor correction to the team.

I like your line-up. One exception is to put Salpiggidis in there on the right side. Play a 4-3-3

-----------------NIKOPOLIDIS

SEITARIDIS------DELLAS-----FYSSAS

----------------KYRGIAKOS

KATSOURANIS-BASINAS-KARAGOUNIS

SALPIGGIDIS-AMANATIDIS-LAGOS

apart from the first 20-25 mins. we played above mine expectations!

we could and should have won this by a 2 or 3 goal margin!!!!

seitaridis was very good and also zagorakis along with amanatidis who atleast tried at his own many times!

amanatidis was also running down to defend !!!!!!!!!!!

unlike charisteas and others!

but amanatidis was not that lethal in offence :gr: :gr:

we need to bring in pap or salp for the game against norway or else we have no chance :( :( :(

Like others have said - fairly impressive agaionst a difficult defensive team - Setaridis just needs more quality on his crosses and we would have scored at least another.

Lybe is lybe a good player to have on the team - especially against an "ugly" team - to do what he did.

Any win on the road is a good result

This is a great result! Especially for the Greek psychology.. as we have a very difficult time coming from behind to win.

At least, we got back on the winning track, let's hope it's not too short!

Still, I don't see what I would like to see against a team like Moldova. We have a very hard time creating chances. It's very hard for us to score and when we do is from a set piece, not by creating a nice combination on the field.

Otto started very conservatively the game. I think he was scared after the England game and didn't want the team to allow one in...

Anyway, there's lot for improvement. We should get the results we need because on goal scoring tie-breakers we'll lose.

Boy, what a difference between this team and our basketball team... The excitement, confidence, skill levels are far apart... :gr:

The other results in our group:

Hungary 1 - 4 Norway

Malta 2 - 5 Bosnia-Herzegovina

And we can only beat Moldova 1 - 0

Moldova away is a tough game, many will drop points there, I guarantee it!!! It was a good result and performance.

Our movement of the ball was very good in the second half as was the way we held a high defensive line.

If I'd give a rating for our players it would be:

Nikopolidis: 6 Wasn't really troubled, his kicking wasn't great at times but he did seem composed when opposing attackers were trying to close him down.

Fyssas: 6 Wasn't particularly impressive, seemed to lose the ball alot but he worked hard and won the ball in key areas.

Dellas: 8 Read the game excellently, sweeping up any potential danger before it emerged.

Kyriakos: 8 Like Dellas was always there, never stopped working and showed he can be the permanent replacement for Kapsis.

Seitaridis: 8 One of our best players today, esp in the 2nd half. Won the ball in key areas and galloped forward at every opportunity. He always provided an outlet and showed excellent awareness of play.

Karagounis 8 Worked hard and won many free kicks in dangerous areas. His corner taking was terrible but overall he was dangerous throughout. Very good performance, would have got a 9 were it not for his corners.

Basinas: 8 Would have got a higher rating were it not for the penalty. His set pieces were good and along with Karagounis he was the heart of any move we made and nobody worked harder than him, i'll be surprised they are any soles left on his boots! Bravo Angele mou!

Katsouranis: 7 Worked hard, appeared to lack ideas though always seemed to pass backwards. Even when he went around the keeper he tried to pass! <_<

Zagorakis 5 Is undoubtedly a Greek legend and a sporting leader, I hope he manages our ethniki one day, but for now his playing days appear to be over. He constantly lost the ball and lacked that ability to win the ball in key areas which he was always excellent at.

Amanatidis: 7 Excellent in the first half and faded in the second. Particularly toward the end when he failed to track his runner as we were trying to close out the game.

Charisteas: 5 Has been the same since that injury for Ajax. He should be dropped until/if he refinds himself at Feyenord.

SUBS:

Lyberopoulos: 9 Got the goal and was an excellent link man. In the second half we held a high defensive line creating a midfield triangle between Karagounis, Basinas, and Lyberopoulos. That triangle was excellent! I expected something every time he got on the ball. Bravo Otto, justified selection over Samaras.

Salpingidis: 8 Always makes things happen through his workrate. His runs were excellent and his movement very good. Has to start next game.

Anatolakis: 7 On for the last few minutes but it was a crucial period and he won every header that came his way.

Otto: 9 Made positive changes when things weren't working and got a result away from home. Personally I would have like Pap to have been introduced also but we can't fault his decisions because of the improvement in the 2nd half!

BRAVO ELLADARA! :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

We'll grind out a 1-0 and get full of ourselves again. No difference

Do you moonlight as the Oracle of Delphi? :P

Your prediction was spot on.

Especially about us (Otto/his interpreter Topladis/players/media and some fans) getting full of ourselves.

We won but nothing has changed.

Norway can go to Hungary and put 4 past them. Let's see how we handle the Norsk in Athens.

Archived