Euro 2008 : Moldova - Greece

dark_horse

Will Greece beat Moldova?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Will Greece beat Moldova?

• Yes
    • No
    • Draw

Let us forget the 4-0 defeat in the hands of England, let us focus on our 1st Euro qualifyer. This is very important to have Greece start off strong and not to play catch-up with the rest of the group. Moldova is a difficult place to play, however not a great side like England is. I do believe this, Greece will win 2-0. Can a mod pin this topic? :)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

with stale offense and midfield play and defense with legs open, like we say with Ottos 11ada.

We will either draw 0-0 or lose.

Note:

We always had problem with these little eastern Europe teams away.......Albania, Kazakstan, Armenia.....

Note:

Moldova is NOT that bad or easy a team. Thats acting like a Brit and assuming because you dont hear about them they cant play or are totally incapbale of a result.....this is international UEFA football and we know as a fact any team on its day can pull the surprise or even more often just keep it difficult. Moldova is no exception to the rule.

Some Results from last years qualifying worth mentioning- and keep in mind the team WE have as well.

Italy 2 Moldova 1

Norway 1 Moldova 0

Moldova 2 Belarus 0

Moldova 0 Norway 0

Moldova 1 Scotland 1

Moldova 0 Italy 1

yesterday

Moldova 3 Lithuania 2

u21 : Moldova 2 England 2

Now a mediocre team that has been on eternal downward spiral of embarassement, will most likley play with the exact same players will go there...and you guys seriously just assume it will be so easy. Remember we went to Kazakstan assuming it would be so easy too.....Kazakhstan is nowhere near as good as Moldova.

Note:

And Remember they will be giving there best at home and Greece likley wont stroll through....Small teams dream too and these players will give everything they have to go out and live the dream- theyre playing a vulnerable team at home to start off qulaifying...these opportunities only come around so often - afteall we say they gave Italy a game (2-1, in Italy) and I think theyll have no problem motivating themselves...

Not saying Moldova are favourites or will win definitly- but after all this - would anybody really be that surprised not to see a result??? Seriously? If we see the second half team, and stop playing these expired losers then Id say we can take it 1-0 or 2-0 on a good day.

But Norway, Italy, Scotland, Belarus (who beat England, and does have some good attackers) had trouble scoring on these guys there- and at home as well. And with that lack of midfield generation, spirit and old lineup and also the fact that in the last years we almost never score more than 1 away....is not really convincing me.

If the team is to be the same lineup as the first half with England, then I will find myself a bookie and bet on the Vlaxoi...if its going to be bad I may as well make some money!

with stale offense and midfield play and defense with legs open, like we say with Ottos 11ada.

We will either draw 0-0 or lose.

Note:

We always had problem with these little eastern Europe teams away.......Albania, Kazakstan, Armenia.....

Note:

Moldova is NOT that bad or easy a team. Thats acting like a Brit and assuming because you dont hear about them they cant play or are totally incapbale of a result.....this is international UEFA football and we know as a fact any team on its day can pull the surprise or even more often just keep it difficult. Moldova is no exception to the rule.

Some Results from last years qualifying worth mentioning- and keep in mind the team WE have as well.

Italy 2 Moldova 1

Norway 1 Moldova 0

Moldova 2 Belarus 0

Moldova 0 Norway 0

Moldova 1 Scotland 1

Moldova 0 Italy 1

yesterday

Moldova 3 Lithuania 2

u21 : Moldova 2 England 2

Now a mediocre team that has been on eternal downward spiral of embarassement, will most likley play with the exact same players will go there...and you guys seriously just assume it will be so easy. Remember we went to Kazakstan assuming it would be so easy too.....Kazakhstan is nowhere near as good as Moldova.

Note:

And Remember they will be giving there best at home and Greece likley wont stroll through....Small teams dream too and these players will give everything they have to go out and live the dream- theyre playing a vulnerable team at home to start off qulaifying...these opportunities only come around so often - afteall we say they gave Italy a game (2-1, in Italy) and I think theyll have no problem motivating themselves...

Not saying Moldova are favourites or will win definitly- but after all this - would anybody really be that surprised not to see a result??? Seriously? If we see the second half team, and stop playing these expired losers then Id say we can take it 1-0 or 2-0 on a good day.

But Norway, Italy, Scotland, Belarus (who beat England, and does have some good attackers) had trouble scoring on these guys there- and at home as well. And with that lack of midfield generation, spirit and old lineup and also the fact that in the last years we almost never score more than 1 away....is not really convincing me.

If the team is to be the same lineup as the first half with England, then I will find myself a bookie and bet on the Vlaxoi...if its going to be bad I may as well make some money!

After looking at those results and the Moldovians knowing on what sorry state we're in I have to agree with you that we're going to get embarassed once again.

Hopefully we're wrong but I don't see it at this point

The result will depend upon two "ifs" the way I see it.

1) is our e8niki going to play with heart

2) are we going to make some roster moves

This game is not a friendly, so some people may be against playing new players to try them out, but the way I see it, we are in a rebuilding process right now. I would bench Xaristeas and try a 4-4-2 or a 3-5-2. I've always been fond of the 3-4-3 but it isn't going to work for us right now. Kirgiakos must start, and I would like to see Amanatidis and Anatolakis start as well. Salpigidis could also do great things for us, and needs to play more matches to get some experience and build confidence. I am also fond of Pantelis KAFES where is he :)

This is actually somewhat reassuring!

http://www.epo.gr/detail.asp?e_article_id=...rticle_cat_id=2

The way I look at it (and I think England's side looked at it the same way yesterday), there is no such thing as 'friendly' matches. They may not mean anything in the overall scheme of things (ratings, qualification for tourneys, etc).

But the minute you suit up for your country and put the galanoleuko jersey, and stand on the hallowed pitch of a crowded stadium in the birthplace of the sport, against one of the most legendary nations to boot, listening to your anthem and watching your flag flying, with the small contingent of your compatrots in the stands drowning out the much-larger hosts....if all that does not motivate you to play your heart out, I don't know what will!

Perhaps you don't deserve to be on the squad. You probably don't have a pulse!

I don't know if I completely believe Rehagel on that one. The first half they were a complete mess! Sloppy as hell. You don't play like that just because it's a friendly (at least the starters). It wasn't just motivation, their skill level was high school at best.

When your Euro 2008 campaign is right around the corner, and you are playing against a superior team, you gotta play with heart the FULL 90! :box:

The way I look at it (and I think England's side looked at it the same way yesterday), there is no such thing as 'friendly' matches. They may not mean anything in the overall scheme of things (ratings, qualification for tourneys, etc).

But the minute you suit up for your country and put the galanoleuko jersey, and stand on the hallowed pitch of a crowded stadium in the birthplace of the sport, against one of the most legendary nations to boot, listening to your anthem and watching your flag flying, with the small contingent of your compatrots in the stands drowning out the much-larger hosts....if all that does not motivate you to play your heart out, I don't know what will!

I agree with the mental preparation part, but talk of hallowed ground and English football??? :blink: What are you their PR man??? Playing in the Maracana against Brazil is special, playing against Real at the Bernabeau is special, playing against England at Old Trafford... It was our last friendly and our fans turned it into a home game! That is why you should question whether the players have a pulse!

A respectable 0 - 0.

It's a pity I have no standing or qualifications to be the Ethniki's manager. I would find each players weakness and hit it to get the motivated.

If Katsouranis only cares about money I would tell him he will get paid on performance basis.

If Dellas is interested only in gomenes. I would show him pictures of hotties and let him know that he can take his pick of any of them, but only if he performs.

If Salpiggidis is very protective of his family. I would take his parents and sister et al and lock them up in a kloubi and show him the video footage and explain to him if he doesn't finally score he won't be seeing them for a while.

All jokes aside, a good manager needs to get the best out of his players by finding out what motivates a player to get even 1% extra out of them.

Otto was not employed to train our elite players on hot to head, tackle, shoot, pass etc (aside from Aggelos Charisteas that is. He should be training with the 16 year olds. He might actually improve his skills).

A good manager will come up with tactics and playing systems and then motivate his squad. Otto is just not doing that. he hasn't done it since the final of Euro '04.

I remember when I was 19 and I was told I had no heart and that I was soft and I wouldn'y be playing regularly...I went out my next game as a sub and put two players in a asthenoforo. I played hard and (semi) fair.

My football technique (unlike Charisteas') is of a decent level, but I lacked heart, commitment and passion.

My coach just found what motivates me. I can't stand being made a fool of or being told im not up to standard. This motivates me. I will run through brick walls if I am motivated correctly.

We need a new manager right now, and for this very reason is why I say ANYONE but Otto (and probably Alketas Panagoulias and Vasillis Daniil) will do.

I agree with the mental preparation part, but talk of hallowed ground and English football??? :blink: What are you their PR man??? Playing in the Maracana against Brazil is special, playing against Real at the Bernabeau is special, playing against England at Old Trafford... It was our last friendly and our fans turned it into a home game! That is why you should question whether the players have a pulse!
There's nothing wrong with English football, and you don't have to a PR man for them to announce it.

C'mon, love em or hate em, that is where the sport originated, that is where all the legendary clubs were founded and elite clubs of many other modelled after (just look at trifylli, OK that is an Irish symbol but you get the gist).

To say that England has done nothing in 40 years (and to suggest that they robbed WC '66(!)) is outrageous. How many semi-finals of major tournaments have they reached? How about the legendary Arg-Eng match in '86 (which no anti-England fan would suggest that they were robbed by the 'hand of God')?

Grand total of countries that WC champs since '66: drum roll, please....5. Can you believe that? Only 5 countries have won the WC since '66: Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Italy, France. Does that mean that all the other teams are trash?

The fact is any football player worth his salt would love to play in one of the legendary English stadia. There's tons of history, whether it is NT or club play. You can't deny that, no matter how much you dislike England. You can hate their fans I guess, but even then, I'm sure most of them are OK, and are just misrepresented by all the hooligans who ruin everything.

Anyway, at least we agree on the pulse part (I just happen to thing there are many factors that indicate that many of these players are alites, not the least of which is playing against a team with history in a place of equal historical worth).

To say that England has done nothing in 40 years (and to suggest that they robbed WC '66(!)) is outrageous. How many semi-finals of major tournaments have they reached? How about the legendary Arg-Eng match in '86 (which no anti-England fan would suggest that they were robbed by the 'hand of God')?

They've been to one semi since '66, guess what, so have Turkey and Korea. :LOL: They've been to a number of quarter-finals since and thats exactly my point. A seeded team like England won't play a top side until the quarter-finals and thats when they go out!

Grand total of countries that WC champs since '66: drum roll, please....5. Can you believe that? Only 5 countries have won the WC since '66: Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Italy, France. Does that mean that all the other teams are trash?

No it doesnt mean they are trash, but they are not legendary either. The reason the view that they are so good exists, as with all things British, is because the British media has so much influence globaly. Apart from the world cup which they did rob ;) what have they done to be warranted a legendary footballing nation?? We're told that up until 1969 they were always considered to be the best in the world even if they didnt always win everything, much of this was due to propaganda i.e. against Fascist Italy in the 1930's, against Communists later on, etc. Remember when England were, according to them, "THE BEST TEAM ON THE PLANET", then they played Puskas' Hungary and lost 6-3 at Wembley and 7-1 away! :LOL:

But anyway lets not let a post on the Moldova game deteriorate into a summary of English football, we agree Greece played with no pulse and if we approach the Moldova game like that, make no mistake, we'll lose!

We need a new capatain.

I think the capatin arm band should be handed to Karagounis.

No explanation is needed for that!

Karagounis?????

I would have said a few guys are better picks than him - Ilove the guy but he sometimes looks like a complete fool out there when he starts his acting.

If zagorakis does give up the C I would guess Stelios or Basinas or a HEALTHY Dellas

If Otto has any a*****a he'll bench all of their sorry @sses! Zagoraki and co can all take a seat (or heck just cut them for all I care).

Amanatidis and Kyriakos should be starting no questions asked. It's their time. Basinas has proved his worth (although I've bashed him in the past he's improved his play ever since playing for Mallorca). Stelios and Kara are still quality guys, as is Katsouranis.

As for the defense, Dellas and Antzas should be benched; but I'd give Fyssas another chance. Still unsold on Vyntra. Anyone think a 4-3-1-2 might work?

Amanatidis-----------------Samaras

Karagounis

Katsouranis-------------Basinas----------------Giannakopoulos

Giourkas-----------------Kyriakos-------------Tavlaridis(give him a chance)---Fyssas

Nikopolidis (I know but who else really?)

But in all reality, we'll probably end up seeing the same tired, sorry @ss faces again against Moldova and if we're lucky, we'll eke it out 1-0. Sad.

They've been to one semi since '66, guess what, so have Turkey and Korea. :LOL: They've been to a number of quarter-finals since and thats exactly my point. A seeded team like England won't play a top side until the quarter-finals and thats when they go out!

No it doesnt mean they are trash, but they are not legendary either. The reason the view that they are so good exists, as with all things British, is because the British media has so much influence globaly. Apart from the world cup which they did rob ;) what have they done to be warranted a legendary footballing nation?? We're told that up until 1969 they were always considered to be the best in the world even if they didnt always win everything, much of this was due to propaganda i.e. against Fascist Italy in the 1930's, against Communists later on, etc. Remember when England were, according to them, "THE BEST TEAM ON THE PLANET", then they played Puskas' Hungary and lost 6-3 at Wembley and 7-1 away! :LOL:

But anyway lets not let a post on the Moldova game deteriorate into a summary of English football, we agree Greece played with no pulse and if we approach the Moldova game like that, make no mistake, we'll lose!

do you really think you will lose to moldova ?, i think everyone on this forum is getting carried away with the friendly with england.............

do you really think you will lose to moldova ?, i think everyone on this forum is getting carried away with the friendly with england.............

Yes I do, or at best a draw, IF we approach the game with the same amount of passion as we did against England. I'm telling you Bosnia and Norway will qualify from this group!

I have watched the Greece v England game twice now, and I see a team cannot create quality scoring chances. Forget the 2nd half, England was in cruise control by then, Greece did nothing to scare England, one or two corner oppurtunities, and a Karagounis shot, but that was it. I saw no creativity, no flair, no speed, no finnishing ability, etc. England gave Greece the mid-field in the seccond, and Greece looked average at best. Aren't there any younger, hungrier players to give some chances?

Archived