Phantis Forums

Chick Young

Yaniotis1

What a disgraceful piece of journalism, typical biased orange bastard - his team didnt come away with all 3 points, so he has to blame someone. Obviously our ground was at fault.

AT least we`ll be laughing when we go through to the next phase, and the gers are left playing for the scottish cup

You're right about Chick young, he is a biased (and very small) orange bastard. He is forever trying to be controversial. Maybe it's down to the fact that his girlfriend is a p****** in a massage parlour (not from personal knowledge, but from the same trash newspapers that he works for).

And they played against a depleted Pao that they couldn't even beat and they are complaining. Lets hope we have a full strength team for the return leg and we shut them up good and proper.

As to this journalist, lets get his email address and give this prick a blasting!!!!!

Chick Young..

What a stupid funny name this git has..

Well he was wondering how will we host the Olympics with stadium like Leoforos.

WELL IF HE KNEW BETTER, OUR STADIUMS ARE BEEING BUILT OR RENOVATED.

BUT HOW WILL HE KNOW, HIS COUNTRY WILL NEVER HOST SUCH A GREAT EVENT AS THE OLYMPICS ANYWAY

'HIS COUNTRY WILL NEVER HOST SUCH A GREAT EVENT AS THE OLYMPICS ANYWAY'.

Vasilis,

Don't connect the stupid comments of Chick with Scotland, and come up with the above. We have some world class stadia here (Ibrox, Parkhead, Murrayfield & Hampden). Glasgow or Edinburgh (and any other British city outwith London) would never receive government support or backing for an Olympic bid. The joy of being part of the UK!! If we ever get independence, hopefully pricks like Chick will go live south of the border.

guys give him a break. his country is uncultured, cold and rainy, and drunk 24 hrs a day. all they eat is haggis too. we should pity all scots, english and irish, and understand this all because they have no culture and the most boring history as well as the british upper class being born with sticks in their rectums. flares are bad behavior?

what is that about? .... there not even a real country anyway.....

People, not wanting to incite a huge flame in the forum, and with respect to all of you, would you please care to explain exactly what part of Young's article you found biased? I actually found it pretty reasonable and have been wandering for a while when the press abroad would print something like that?

Concerning the comment about Scotland not being able to organise the Olympics. Please, does anyone else agree with that? Or, better yet, does anyone else agree that the Scotts are less able to host them than Greece?

As for Chick Young, I'm not familiar with his writting, but it does seem to me that he's a bit more arrogant than one could handle. But that doesn't mean that he's wrong.

I hear stuff like "oh, Rosso might be good for Israel but Greece is so much better", "PAO's a force in European soccer", "us Greek fans are crazy" and it makes me go nuts some times. How is Israel's league so much worse than the Greek, how is PAO a superforce in Europe and what is the limit between passion and stupidity? When we manage to sit down and think these questions out, Greek soccer will instantly improve tenfold. And unless we are willing to do so, we're the ones who are forever biased, not this what's his name reporter.

I agree with Kilmanrok, the article is spot on!

Now we Greeks have the idea that if a foreigner writes somethign about Greece, he's immediately an anti-hellenic. That is not true. If he did it consistantly..then yes..i would find bias.

I would ask you all to revert from some of the Silly comments you made about Britain and Ireland as they are not true.

The Scot's have offered, many things to the world and civilisation in all fields, either we talk politics, Economics, Theatre, sports, etc..you name it.

We are no better than them as they are not better than us.

peace out and don't take an article as an opportunity to throw made to a whole nation. After all, one Scot wrote it. It wasn't singed by the rest of Scotland , nor Britain.

guys give him a break. his country is uncultured, cold and rainy, and drunk 24 hrs a day. all they eat is haggis too. we should pity all scots, english and irish, and understand this all because they have no culture and the most boring history as well as the british upper class being born with sticks in their rectums. flares are bad behavior?

what is that about? .... there not even a real country anyway.....

Drako...

With your comments do you think that you advertise a:

"... cultutured, warm, sunny, and sobber 24 hrs a day where all we eat is Greek Cuisine " !?

Are these the words of a person with great history inherited by his ancestors? And since you mentioned history, should we too think "we are not a country anyway" when occupied in the past (no attempt to compare situations here of course as different issues are involved)

As you can see I followed your own post to show you how much I disagree with your comments!

I lived in the UK for some years, I lived in Belgium, and I travelled a lot in my life.

I love my country and I am proud I am Greek.

But I also can list you 1000 bad and 1000 good things from each and every country I lived in or Visited including mother Ellas!

Comeon man! Dont get carried away by the urge to defend your club and country with going to the extreme opposite side of the argument insulting a whole other nation!

It is not polite, and to tell you the truth not correct as well!

Everyone is entitled of being proud for what he is and what he inherited! But the mnost important thing to remember is that history only makes you even more responsible against it through its worthy continuation.

Due to history, we, modern Greeks, have more responsibilities to be educated by it, and take civilization, arts, sciences and culture further...

I am sorry I am directing this post at you but I will not let your rude way insult our guests (remeber? we Greeks are also a very hospitable nation! ) for all of us! At least not for me!

I urge you to rephrase it and I definitelly can understand how passion can lead to those comments sometimes even if we dont really believe them..

I may be an Administrator in this site but notice the use of the word "urge"! This is not a warning of any kind... just a personal oppinion to which I am fully open to discussion and disagreement..

Thank you

Dimitris

i dont proclaim hellas to be some warm sunny happy place all the time. you read what you want to see i advertise nothing, i just put down scotland. insulting our guest? howbout insulting the hosts? ok so all places have problems i admit that and despite those problems people from those places should be proud of where they came from. i admit that. but i have been there too, they are arrogant though, and it is my least favourite place out of everywhere i have been in the world that is why i say it so harshly.

here is your re phrase ; give him a break (chick young) it was raining outside and he was probably drunk when writing it. flares are bad behavior? theyre not even a real country anyways (true)

Oh but I do understand!

And noone needs to be babysitted too in here... If you do not like some things you have every right to say so and the People diagreeing with you, and first among all our Scotish guests, have all the right to respond and open the discussion further...

But I asked you to rethink your approach because instead of attacking one man for his views, you took the extreme line of attacking a whole nation.

Besides, this apprach takes us away from the football subject those threads must have to remain here.

Yes, football is a social phenomenon too, and we cannot completelly detach the one from the other, but we should also leave the flaming parts of social conflict that ruin the sporting nature of our involvement with the great sport...

I still diagree somehow on your view of Scotland and Scotish issues but you are entitled to your oppinion and you are free to post and defend it. I just had to make sure this does not have a spillover effect to other sensitive issues and most of all the hospitality of this site to anyone interested to participate.

So thanks for understanding mate.

Dimitris

An interesting and lively discussion has developed lads! I must correct the one point made by Drakos about us being arrogant. This could not be further from the truth. After centuries of English rule, being told we could not survive without them, the average Scot as far from arrogant. Remember the great quote from Trainspotting:

'F***ing failures in a country of failures. It's no good blaming it on the English for colonising us. I don't hate the English. They're just wankers. We are colonised by wankers. We can't even pick a decent, vibrant, healthy culture to be colonised by.'

I remember this got a standing ovation in the Apollon cinema in Stadio at the premier. I guess it sums up the lack of confidence that unfortunately runs through our nation. Otherwise, why would we persist in voting for an alien government.

Great topic, sorry to deviate too far from sport - so I'll finish with this quote from a colleague this morning:

'they wouldn't be having this discussion if it wasn't for Scotland. WE invented the F***ing game!!'

Somehow I believe we lost focus on the topic of this actual forum which was Chicks Youngs article. I too agree with "Mouses" opinion who defended our National Pride and what it means to be Greek which I believe our Generation (Im 21 yrs old so ill spk on behalf of my generation) has lost. Yes, we are an extremely hospitable nation with an enormous culture and rich history, but this forum concerns a direct attack on PAO and the atmosphere created at Apostolos Nikolaidis Stadium.

There is a fine line between passion and stupidity and lately the PAO fans have crossed this line. However, I believe this is due to the love of the club and the passion driving these fans week in week out to the games and their frustrations at our performances which is a completely different issue. Greek fans would have to be globally known as one of the most passionate, and yes sadly very violent group and it is this atmosphere, the so called trip to Hell that gives us an edge over opponents. I saw the game against Rangers, and for 90 minutes I could hear the crowd chanting and singing non stop which spurred me on from my home to be passionately involved in the game. This is a side of soccer that cant be ruled out, its what separates the game from other sports.

As for the water bottle throwing, yes, UEFA will prolly clamp down on this if it is raised and i dun see why not. The flares, are apart of our culture and ive seen flares in alot of matches not just in Greece. He makes us out to be monsters, untamed and uncultured, well he obviously missed alot at the game or was just frightened by the hair raising atmosphere we were able to create.

As for 13,000 only rocking up, I can see Chick Young failed to add in his piece that our stadium holds between 16,000 and 17,000 (correct me if im wrong). Yes, it wasnt a full stadium, but let me also remind you all that security doesnt allow us to sell out, there are empty seats between rival fans.

Like I said i agree with the Mouse as i said above, however Mr Young does owe an apology for his remark on the Olympics as it was totally inappropriate and completely rude of him.

And we earn our right to play in Champions League due to our performances. And some of our performances in Athens should also be accredited down to our fans. Did Mr Yound see the PAO - Utd Game (yes the infamous 5-0). Last time i checked Old Trafford holds in excess of 60,000 yet we had 3000 tickets. Funny how i only heard 3000 fans chanting throughout the game even at 5-0 down against 60,000 old trafford faithful who perhaps follow one of the best teams in europe.

He is enough punished with a name like.......... young chick

His words are full of sarcasm, irony and disdain.........despite that some Greek subjects can be criticized...(but please in an civilised manner), the style that he uses....makes him look in my eyes like a typical White Protestant Racist...........

He looks to be uninformed about the Olympic premises.....and his report is based deliberately on emotions and not necessaraly on information (a reporter's duty)....... apparently such a style is popular in Britain....

Heil Britania..... Britania rules the world......... (especially with its insidiousness)

Maybe is written for people, whos mind is still stuck in the 18th & 19th century.....

The facts are this!

When rangers took the lead against Pao in Athens they (supporters) started taunting the Pao supporters by chanting olympiakos and some *** raised an Olympiakos flag in the ground.

As a result the fans got the shits and started pelting them with plastic bottles and flares. If these *** didn't do these ***** on the night, they wouldn't have had any problems.

Just shows what wallys these *** are, they like to dish it out, but they can't handle their own medicine. And as to this journalist from BBC with a name like Chick young, what do you expect.

Honestly if I had a name like that, I'd jump of the cliff.

**** loser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-----------------

I kindly ask you to revert from using such language as the above in the future. Thanks.

Really glad to see some rational criticism, I was beginning to fell like everyone's gone crazy. Personally, I don't give a damn about the Olympics and to tell you the truth I'm against them. But that's another subject. The thing is, mr Young although reasonable in most of his article, crosses the line when he insists that PAO should not be allowed to play in the CL. That's where he begins to get cocky and arrogant and more a stereotypical upper class Englishman than a Scot.

The thing is this. On one side we have the Premiership where people take their families and promptly go to the stadium and watch a ball game, have lunch, etc and on the other side we have the greek league where I myself refuse to go to any stadium because I don't want to be in a place where my seat is broken and a raving trigger-happy lunatic next to me is about to kill the referee, the opponent's players, the opponent's fans and whoever is unlucky enough to be in his way. Most of all, I don't want to pay 120 Euros to watch a CL game under such conditions. Apart from that, in Premiership they put up a show, while in Greece, well, they put up a cathartic drama that is only appropriate to put sick dogs to sleep. An interesting question is if these two phenomena are connected and how. Most importantly however, the question is this. Where do we draw the line. Do we like the way people attend football games in the island? Do we want to be this way? I personally do, because my interest in football is somewhat different from the average, other people however have their way, and that's fine with me, I don't mean to be criticizing anyone as long as they don't hurt me. So where do we draw the line.

The Panionios manament recently announced that they will shut down gates 2 and 3 if my memory serves me right in order to prevent their organised fans from attending the games as a group, in an attempt to control violence. Do you think that is appropriate? Most of all, do you think it will solve anything?

Another simplistic view is that with the Olympics coming and some football fields being reinnovated violence will simply desert greek football on its own, because then the greek fans will hesitate to destroy such beautiful and expensive football fields. This for me is something for the sociologists and the political analysts to handle. It is characteristic of how things are done in Greece. Did the greek fans hesitate for a moment to pull apart the seats at the Olympic Stadium when it was open? No. Did the Brittish hulligans exist because Britain was full of old ugly stadiums? No. Did what happened with the Napoli fans happen in a corn field? Again, no.

So what should we do? How do we cure stupidity, and how far do we go?

Archived