Phantis Forums

EURO 2012

HOLLYWOOD

Greece is considering a bid for the 2012 European Championship after failing in a joint bid with neighbouring Turkey to stage the 2008 tournament, according to reports of Greek State Thessaloniki based television "ET 3".

UEFA last year picked Switzerland and Austria to host Euro 2008.

Greece already have six new or renovated football stadiums around the country for the Athens Olympic Games and have a much better chance of success this time.

Athens Olympics organisers have renovated Athens’ Olympic stadium and the Karaiskaki ground near Piraeus. They have also built new grounds in Patras, Volos and Heraklion of Crete, and renovated two stadiums in Thessaloniki. Access roads have also been built around these grounds.

Based on reports of ET 3 TV, sports minister Giorgos Orfanos will meet this week with Prime minister Kostas Karamanlis to discuss this issue.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have to improve more Team grounds and leave yet another infrastructure network to support teams this time... just like they did in Portugal.

But we also have to maintain the momentum and keep the fans who return imn the grounds... or else neither the Olympic nor the future grounds will have any hope of paying for their maintenance

How are they going to afford all of this?

Didn't they just announce that the Olympics were several billion Euros over budget? Didn't they also announce that Greece fudged the books in order to get into the single currency? Isn't Greece's economy s%$#! and their unemployment even worse?

Look I'm all for bringing the Euro 2012 Championship to Greece but they are in a hurting state at the moment and it doesn't look like they're going to get out of it any time soon.

I just wish someone at EPO or the gov't had a logical plan to fund all of these new plans and infrastructure.

• 4 weeks later...

UEFA today changed the guidelines for stadiums to be used for the the Euro 2012:

The requirements are:

1 stadium - minimum capacity 50,000 seats

2 stadiums - minimum capacity 40,000 seats

remaining stadiums - minimum capacity 30,000 seats

In the past the requirements were 2 stadium over 40,000 seats and rest 30,000 seats.

Right now we only have two stadiums that fit the rquirements (OAKA and Karaiskaki).

Additionaly, the countries that have shown interest and will most likley place bids for the Euro 2012 competition are:

Greece, Italy, Russia, and a joint Ukraine/Poland bid.

I'd say use some of the new/renovated Olympic stadiums around Greece (Athens, Thessoliniki, Heraklion, and I think there's one more, correct me if I'm wrong). Add OAKA and Karaiskaki that make's 6 stadiums. How many stadiums/facilities would we need for a legit bid (or FIFA requirement)? In terms of the other bids, the only one I see from that list is Italy that would be legit <_< . Ukraine/Poland, and Russia I don't think would have enough infrastructure/stadiums and would have a tough time coughing up the $$ to improve. When do they make a final announcement for who get's it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sure we can do this. i mean, after the Olympics, what can't we do.

Stadiums we can use include

Future PAO

Future AEK

Touba

Karaiskaki

Peloponisos

and then hold the final @ OAKA

also no champions leageu or uefa cup final should be given to europes most curropt countr

Nope, we're corrupt (how do you think Oly got off easy with the appeal), but we're not Europe's most corrupt country. Western Europe, mabye. There's still Eastern Europe all the way out to Kazahstan and Georgia. Besides, it's not like other "non-corrupt" don't have their problems. One word: Germany/DFB. Yea, I think Italy is the heavy favorite to get the nod, it'll be 22 years since they hosted it last (1990).

My last post was too negative.

Here is some data on the stadiums we have, and plan to have.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_menu/...mpics2004.shtml

http://www.stadiumguide.com/aeknew.htm

http://www.stadiumguide.com/paoathensarena.htm

6 existing + 2 on the way

That is comparable to the 10 stadiums used in portugal:

http://www.stadiumguide.com/paoathensarena.htm

Switzerland/Austria is using only 8 stadiums in 2008 - and many will be smaller like many of ours.

A possible problem is that 4 of the 8 Greek stadiums are in the Athens region. Although this may be a plus - allows for less travel for teams.

I know Ireland is attampting to go solo to get the bis - Scotland has pulled out. Ukraine and Poland are also expected to make bids - although I can't see the tourney going there.

So that makes it Greece vs. Italy once again - we beat them to get the 2004 Olympics and I really hope we do it again. I think the success of the Portugese games is a plus, showing that a smaller country can succeed.

The Olympics were a plus, however, the attendance levels being as they were may be a negative for our bid. Also violence, and our inability to police it at games can't help.

Solo and joint bids

UEFA said that the associations of Azerbaijan, Greece, Italy, Romania, Russia and Turkey had informed the European governing body that they were interested in making solo bids for the event, while Croatia/Hungary and Poland/Ukraine are going for joint bids. The deadline for registering interest was yesterday. (From UEFA.com)

Suprise last minute entry from Azerbaijan (???), and Turkey. I see Italy, Greece and Russia being the 3 finalists, with Italy taking it in the end (hope I am wrong).

Archived