Phantis Forums

EURO 2012

HOLLYWOOD

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ukraine/Poland bid is pretty much dead.

4 finalists left (Greece, Italy, Turkey, and Croatia-Hungary)

its really between Greece and Italy that simple

italy is the safe pick for Uefa but i think there wondering wut will Greece do in 2008

Euro 2008 is a joing bid and i don't think they will do that again in 2012 b/c they want to see how your 2008 goes

as for Turkey they never really hosted a major competition on the 2005 c.l. final

its really on us not only getting into euro 2008 but being quite dominant in qualifying to do so

wut the hell is this s%$#!

i just saw the voting and Greece was last in all the votings

wut a stinking joke

i mean we just came off hosting the greatest Olympics ever

Athens is arguably the most modernized city in the world

i don't get who turkey and 4 countries and 2 groups are bidding together get more votes then us

there was problems been wit the Euro 2008

as for Uefa u can all go straight to hell

its obvious italy will win it

but this is a joke

Turkey never hosted anything this major yet Greece gets less votes go figure

hell these other countries didn't do s%$#! but Italy

this is F***in gay period

Uefa go suck a ###### dik

i'd like to know who were the mysterious 12 members that were eligible to vote:

Detailed dossiers:

The result of the voting, from the 12 members eligible to vote, was: Italy (11), Croatia/Hungary (9), Poland/Ukraine (7), Turkey (6) and Greece (2). The second phase of the bidding process will involve the submission of even more detailed dossiers by 31 May, followed by site visits to the short-listed countries in September. Although the bids from Greece and Turkey were not selected, both were given warm praise by the UEFA Executive Committee for the content and professionalism of their submissions.

here is the rest: http://www.uefa.com/uefa/Keytopics/kind=41...sId=364810.html

we only got 2 votes, it seems nobody recognized what we did w/ the olympics which is total BS

here is the report of phase 1 (pdf format): http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/362039.pdf

i could understand the biggest knock on turkey's bid was that from their 8 proposed stadia only 4 are actually built and the other 4 are planned so what the hell was wrong w/ our bid? too much violence? that goes on everywhere

UEFA EURO 2012™ following today's meeting of the UEFA Executive Committee in Malta.

Second phase

Italy, Croatia/Hungary and Poland/Ukraine have all been put on the short list for the second phase of the bidding procedure, meaning the bids from Greece and Turkey will not be pursued. A final decision on the hosts of the 14th staging of the UEFA European Championship will be taken in December 2006.

Detailed dossiers

The result of the voting, from the 12 members eligible to vote, was: Italy (11), Croatia/Hungary (9), Poland/Ukraine (7), Turkey (6) and Greece (2). The second phase of the bidding process will involve the submission of even more detailed dossiers by 31 May, followed by site visits to the short-listed countries in September. Although the bids from Greece and Turkey were not selected, both were given warm praise by the UEFA Executive Committee for the content and professionalism of their submissions.

Political dimension

"We made a presentation of the technical evaluation to the Executive Committee, who added the political dimension in taking the decision," said UEFA Chief Executive Lars-Christer Olsson. "We reached a decision in the first ballot. A new dossier should be submitted [by the candidates] to UEFA at the end of May 2006, and now all the site visits will take place. There will be a final decision to appoint the hosts for 2012 in December 2006."

EXCO message

Mr Olsson said the choice of the joint Poland/Ukraine bid sent a message from the Executive Committee that the possibility of organising the final round in the eastern part of Europe should be assessed. "They are now catching up with the western part, so it makes it possible to organise this kind of big event," said the CEO.

Variety of criteria

The evaluation of the bids was made by studying a variety of criteria, including infrastructure, stadiums, security and commercial and financial issues. "The political aspect is that, in the Executive Committee's view, it will be possible for all three candidates to reach the same level of excellence for the tournament as in Portugal [in 2004] and for Austria and Switzerland in 2008," added Mr Olsson.

We and the three bidders have a huge job ahead of usLars-Christer Olsson

Open race

Each of the bids, as they stand at present, had their strengths and weaknesses, according to Mr Olsson: "This is now an open competition. We will go into greater detail now with site visits, different contracts have to be signed with the authorities. We and the three bidders have a huge job ahead of us. It's a totally open race."

This was a purely political decision by UEFA. They eliminated the two countries that had any reasonable chance to challenge the Italian bid. With that in mind you can be assured that Berlusconi has effectively assured that Italy will be hosting the 2012 Euro.

now that you mentioned Berlusconi who is the country's prime minister, owns AC milan and controls most of the television, it's definately mostly politics behind this, more so than UEFA anti-hellenism in my opinion that's quite obvious. just one reason why i stopped reading UEFA.com especially since poland/ukraine have already admitted defeat and what chance does croatia/hungary have vs. Berlusconi but i still think Turkey's bid would not have made it anyway, not because they're Turks but because 4 of their proposed 8 stadia are not even built.

Athens is arguably the most modernized city in the world

i agree on everything except this.....that is not true Athens is definitly not the most modernized or even arguably the most.
i live in NYC so i kinda know quite well how modernized Athens is

Athens could have hosted this event

anywayz back to the point

did u hear some of the reasons why we didn't get the bid

for starters a couple of British and other rival tabloids

talked about how we barely finished the construction of the Olympics

fair point to make but rememeber Greece was being turned into an Ancient city behind 50 years of everybody else to something to rave about

they did that

all it needed was stadiums and that could of been done

seconldy they talk about fan violence

how stupid is that i mean for staters the fan violence happens between club teams and not in Kariskaki and Olympic stadium

also we have no problems when Greek clubs participate in C.L. or uefa cup

unlike our counterparts Italy who had problems with 2 italian teams last season

Roma and Inter Milan

while Turkey's problem is with transporation and huge problem yet they get more votes

now they also hope to bring Eastern Football back

good luck with that

by the way Greece is located in Eastern Europe but the south part

wut else could Greece do lets be honest

Euro 2004 winners and hosted the Greatest Olympics ever

Uefa could have contributed in the revival of the Greek league thats the next step

anywayz we all know Italy is taking it this just gurantees them the nod

don't listen to them about bringing soccer in Eastern europe thats bullshit

this is also Uefa way in getting back at Greece for doing bad in confed cup and not making World cup 2006

as for the british blow me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

do u got a E#uro cup ??

I don't know how many objective people would agree with the claim that Athens being aurguably the most modernised city in the world.

I think after visiting cities like Vancouver BC, Seattle or Melbourne, AU most would argue aginst the previous claim (at the present anyway).

Anyway, this is an aside. I think Greece stuggled with the proposal when it came to decent stadia and more importantly their capacity. If you were to look at Portugal's hosting of last years tournament, all but one of their stadia were world class. Can you hold Karaiskaki to these standards?

However, the decision to eliminate Greece so early was politically motivated. Sections of large European countries media were out to discredit Greece (some of their claims did however have some truth to them).

Greece is on the nose in at UEFA. Many within (and out of) Europe don't think that we are worthy champions. I think they dislike us as a culture. This reinforces in my mind that the Greeks are the Jews (Israel) of Europe. We have no culltural allies. Who defends us?

I hope everyone agress that the way we rub everyones face in it now is by Greece qualifying for the next Euro and by giving the defence of the cup a real shake!

I was (and still am) in Korea during the World Cup, and let me tell you, they're a bunch of hillbillies here and they still didn't get passed over for what's basically the most watched event in the world.

They built ena soro stadiums here that are being used for f*** all now, and for what? The prestige? They went on a huge 'clean up Korea' for the month that it was on, and once the tournament was over, there was more garbage than you could shake a stick at! The stadiums built in Barcelona for the '92 olympics are growing grass in the upper tiers now.

I think Greece did an amazing job of hosting the olympics (and actually turned a profit; Sydney was the only other city to do so to my knowledge) and if we can muster another good showing at the next Euro, that will make it feasible to host the following one.

One thing they've got to do is what Demis has done at AEK and increase fan support--a strong league with little or no fan violence will only help our cause.

Another thing is to get good refs and can all the corrupt ones. Like it or not, these are things that UEFA looks for when it comes time to hosting these massive, costly events.

One thing they've got to do is what Demis has done at AEK and increase fan support--a strong league with little or no fan violence will only help our cause.

Another thing is to get good refs and can all the corrupt ones. Like it or not, these are things that UEFA looks for when it comes time to hosting these massive, costly events.

Amen, my brother. Our domestic leaue problems of seemingly corrupt games, fights between EPO and the govt., NT players fighting for their Euro 2004 bonuses, etc. all give excuses for UEFA to look elsewhere.

personally I think Greece's lack of organization and constant delays leading up to the Olympics left a bad first impression with a lot of people worldwide. I am sure this was in the back of Uefa officials minds, and yes Greece in the end did pull off a great games but we haven't exactly been held up as a mentor to other nations as an example of how to prepare and organize for a major event. Another major disappointment was the games came and half the stadiums were empty because god forbid the Athenians give up their holidays to support the one Olympics that have come back in a hundred years. I think before we start with the world is against us mentality we should take a deep look at ourselves first.

personally I think Greece's lack of organization and constant delays leading up to the Olympics left a bad first impression with a lot of people worldwide. I am sure this was in the back of Uefa officials minds, and yes Greece in the end did pull off a great games but we haven't exactly been held up as a mentor to other nations as an example of how to prepare and organize for a major event. Another major disappointment was the games came and half the stadiums were empty because god forbid the Athenians give up their holidays to support the one Olympics that have come back in a hundred years. I think before we start with the world is against us mentality we should take a deep look at ourselves first.

yeah but your forgetting that yes Greece did a poor job in time management of building of the Olympic games

but they got the job done finally

plus it required a huge renovation of the city of Athens to become the spectacle it is today

Greece had the major establishments ready

like transportation, hotels and the Olympic stadium

this is just uefa way to say fu ck u for winning euro 2004

but lets get those F***ers back by building a strong squad and winning the tournament once again

lets bee dominant in our qualification stages

King Otto help us design that vaunted defense we once had

It would have been nice

But I think the stadia with tracks hurt

Also I would guess that UEFA thought that us hosting the Olympics was a negative - not because of the job done but because we had our "turn" at something big

I hope Italy gets it - I mean sorry about Roma 2004 :LOL: ah re malakes -

Archived