Phantis Forums

EURO 2012

HOLLYWOOD

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was EPO and Orfanos making the decisions on the stadiums. Of those on the list two stadiums will be dropped from the bid to make it 8 stadiums. Most likely to be dropped from the bid are the Volos and one of the proposed new stadiums.

Also, Toumba that was originaly on the list was dropped from the list. They cited huge costs for re-building it. They will instead increse the capacity of Kaftazoglio, which will never be used to full capacity by Iraklis. On top of that they will build 3 new stadiums in the 30K range that will never be filled by the local teams. I really don't understand the logic in coming up with this list.

Also the new AEK stadium is not included on the list, but the New PAO stadium is.

It is apparent that politics have entered the Gagatsis/Orfanos decision.

Guest GreekSoussou

Dont worry about the stadiums guys. If they get Euro they will be ready for it with the Olympic Stadiums as well as the new ones they will build if necessary.

I just heard this one from my friend's dad.

The Greeks were in the kafenio when one of the Olympic Committe members came up to them and he said, "Shouldn't you be getting ready for the Olympics, they are tommorow." So the Greek replies, "Tommorrow........ in the morning or in the evening" :D :LOL: :gr:

The Greeks were in the kafenio when one of the Olympic Committe members came up to them and he said, "Shouldn't you be getting ready for the Olympics, they are tommorow."  So the Greek replies, "Tommorrow........ in the morning or in the evening"  :D  :LOL:  :gr:

:LOL: :LOL:

i remember reading in a newspaper a comitte member was at the aquatics center the day before the opening ceremony and saw a worker installing seats and asked him something like" will you be ready?" the worker replied "when is the opening ceremony?" comittee member "tomorrow" ...."morning or night"......"night"......"oh then yes we will be ready" :LOL:

seriously i'm not so sure if it's cheaper to renovate Kaftazoglio than it is to renovate Toumba, politics has entered the selection :tdown:

the EPAE need to take the appropriate measures here

and not to just think about EURO 2012 but rather wut happens after that

Iraklis will never pack up their Gipedo if they decide to extend it

we all know that

Paok's Giepedo should be used here

as for why Pao's stadium will be used but not AEK's i got no idea

unless AEK privately funds their stadium

we will see the outcome

• 2 weeks later...

The final list has been approved and will be presented to UEFA. The stadiums selected for the EURO 2012 are:

Olympic Stadium- Athens

Karaiskaki - Pireus

Kaftatzoglio - Thessaloniki

Pagkrytio - Iraklio

Pampeloponisiako - Patra

Panthessaliko - Volos

New Stadium - Ioannina

New Stadium - Larisa

Stand-by stadiums:

New Stadium - Votanikos (PAO)

New Stadium - Serres

Toumba - Thessaloniki

The final list has been approved and will be presented to UEFA. The stadiums selected for the EURO 2012 are:

Olympic Stadium- Athens

Karaiskaki - Pireus

Kaftatzoglio - Thessaloniki

Pagkrytio - Iraklio

Pampeloponisiako - Patra

Panthessaliko - Volos

New Stadium - Ioannina

New Stadium - Larisa

Stand-by stadiums:

New Stadium - Votanikos (PAO)

New Stadium - Serres

Toumba - Thessaloniki

Giannena is expected to get a new stadium

can they be more competitive and come to the top league

Larissa deserves a new stadium if they are to get one

we all know they will pack it up

Greece unveils ambitious plans to host Euro 2012

July 11, 2005

ATHENS (AFP) - Euro 2004 champions Greece have plans to spend 115 million euros (138 million dollars) on six of eight stadia needed for their candidacy to host the 2012 European football championship, a sports ministry source told AFP.

The Greek bid will include stadia in Athens, Salonika, Patras, Volos and Iraklio used in 2004 Olympics football tournament, plus two new privately-funded facilities in the rural cities of Larissa and Yiannina, the source said Monday.

Of eight proposed stadia, only the 72,000-seat Olympic Stadium in Athens and the 33,000-seat Karaiskaki Stadium in Piraeus, near the capital, are deemed ready to run, the semi-official Athens News Agency (ANA) reported.

The Greek file will be submitted to European football governing body UEFA on July 21, ANA said.

UEFA will announce a shortlist of the three best candidate cities in November 2005, and will decide on the winning bid a year later.

Azerbaijan, Italy, Romania, Russia and Turkey also intend to submit solo bids for the event, while Croatia/Hungary and Poland/Ukraine are working on joint candidacies.

Sports authorities have had trouble filling stadia built or upgraded for the Athens Games, with sources within the Athens 2004 organising committee (ATHOC) admitting that the facilities surpassed Greece's post-Games requirements.

A sports ministry source however shrugged off such concerns on Monday.

"Both the Larissa and Yiannina stadia were approved on the basis of fan potential," he told AFP. "Last season, Larissa FC attracted an average of 15,000 fans per game despite playing in the second division."

i mean is it that expensive to fix the gipedo up

the point i wanted to make was that Toumba is more likely to be full than Kaftanzoglio when club football takes over not so much financial issues, i already knew Toumba had to rebuilt from scratch.

the point i wanted to make was that Toumba is more likely to be full than Kaftanzoglio when club football takes over not so much financial issues, i already knew Toumba had to rebuilt from scratch.

your right on the statement

i mean Iraklis doesn't even draw more then 10,000 a game

they just opened it last season and it didn't really sell for Iraklis

i know Iraklis was in a terrible slump at one point but where are there fans ??

Paok fans my be vicious at times but they come to games lol

its a better investment to rebuild Toumba

• 2 weeks later...

I found this in another Greek forum:

I just found imformation on how the ranking procedure works.(www.xtratime.org/forums),,under European Football.

Seeding Procedure

(based on Euro 2004)

Greece will be in the first pot as title holders

P1-points won in the qualifying for Euro 2004

G1-games played in the qualifying for Euro 2004

P2-points won in the qualifying for WC2006

G2-games played in the qualifying for WC2006

Formula: (P1+P2)/(G1+G2)

Playoff matches do NOT count.

Tiebreakers.

WC2006 average

average goal difference on WC2006

average goal difference on Euro 2004

The Draw will take place on January 27, 2006 in Montreux,Switzerland.The last matches affecting the seeding formula will end on October 12,2005.

*Regardless how Greece goes in WC2006.They will be in Pot 1 as defending champions.

Hers the list so according to these pocedures.

CODEGreece............................1.941176471 (HOLDERS)

Czech Republic..........................2.6875

England....................................2.571428571

Netherlands..............................2.5625

Portugal...................................2.5

France.....................................2.428571429

Croatia.....................................2.285714286

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sweden....................................2.285714286

Germany..................................2.25

Italy.........................................2.142857143

Poland......................................2.066666667

Turkey......................................2.058823529

Spain........................................2

Ukraine.....................................1.941176471

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Russia......................................1.866666667

Latvia.......................................1.8125

Bulgaria....................................1.785714286

Romania....................................1.764705882

Serbia & Montenegro..................1.714285714

Belgium.....................................1.714285714

Slovakia.....................................1.6875

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Denmark....................................1.6875

Norway......................................1.642857143

Slovenia.....................................1.642857143

Ireland.......................................1.6

Hungary.....................................1.5

Bosnia-Herzegovina.....................1.428571429

Scotland.....................................1.428571429

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 4 pots

^ yes but the defending champion still has to qualify :angry:

where is the champion ????

look at the fifa ranking ....... is this a champion ????

1 Brazil 0 846 17

2 Argentina 1 787 2

3 Netherlands 1 781 -2

4 Czech Republic -2 778 -12

5 Mexico 1 768 9

6 USA 4 765 21

7 France -2 749 -16

8 England -1 744 -13

8 Spain 1 744 -3

10 Portugal -2 739 -16

11 Germany 10 723 28

12 Turkey 2 716 -3

13 Japan 5 715 5

14 Italy -3 713 -12

15 Iran 2 711 0

15 Republic of Ireland 0 711 -3

17 Sweden -5 710 -12

18 Uruguay 0 703 -7

19 Denmark -3 698 -15

20 Greece -6 698 -22

where is the champion ????

look at the fifa ranking .......  is this a champion ????

1 Brazil  0    846  17

2  Argentina  1    787  2

3 Netherlands  1    781  -2

4  Czech Republic  -2    778  -12

5 Mexico  1    768  9

6  USA  4    765  21

7 France  -2    749  -16

8  England  -1    744  -13

8 Spain  1    744  -3

10  Portugal  -2    739  -16

11 Germany  10    723  28

12  Turkey  2    716  -3

13 Japan  5    715  5

14  Italy  -3    713  -12

15 Iran  2    711  0

15  Republic of Ireland  0    711  -3

17 Sweden  -5    710  -12

18  Uruguay  0    703  -7

19 Denmark  -3    698  -15

20 Greece  -6    698  -22

Where is the 3rd best team from WC 2002??? Ranked 12th??? Not even top 10???

Is this the ranking of the 3rd best team from WC 2002???

i wouldn't put too much credibility into the fifa rankings i just take it with a grain of salt. look how the USA is 6th, they can't compete with top european teams but they play against shitty north and central american teams and always win so they are ranked quite high. this system diesn't really show how talented a team or skilled a team is :tdown:

i wouldn't put too much credibility into the fifa rankings i just take it with a grain of salt. look how the USA is 6th, they can't compete with top european teams but they play against shitty north and central american teams and always win so they are ranked quite high. this system diesn't really show how talented a team or skilled a team is :tdown:

ok in case of the fifa ranking you are right.....

....this was just a lillte joke from my side.... nothing against the greek team....they are the current champion....

:tup: :gr:

ok in case of the fifa ranking you are right.....

....this was just a lillte joke from my side.... nothing against the greek team....they are the current champion....

:tup: :gr:

Fifa rankings shouldnt be taken seriously. Thats why I made a little joke myself about Turkey. Peace, Turkcell.

• 3 months later...

Just a reminder. Next week, the final 3 candidates will be determined to host Euro 2012. The evaluation report can be found for Greece from pages 7-11 and from pages 30-40 by clicking here

EURO 2012 evaluation report

Wednesday, 2 November 2005

UEFA has published its evaluation report on the first phase of the bidding procedure to stage UEFA EURO 2012™.

Five extensive dossiers

By the deadline of 21 July 2005, UEFA received five extensive bid dossiers from the following associations interested in hosting the 2012 UEFA European Football Championship final round - Croatia/Hungary, Greece, Italy, Poland/Ukraine and Turkey.

Shortlist of bidders

At its meeting on 21 October 2005, the UEFA National Teams Committee recommended the evaluation report to UEFA Chief Executive Lars-Christer Olsson. UEFA's Executive Committee will conclude this first bidding phase at its meeting in Malta on 7 and 8 November by selecting a shortlist of three bidders who will progress through to the second phase.

Intensive process

This evaluation report is the result of an intensive evaluation process that was led and co-ordinated by the Product Management National Team Competitions over the last three months. In order to ensure the highest possible reliability, all relevant UEFA departments were involved in the assessment, including UEFA's event company Euro 2008 SA, UEFA's legal department and several experts within the areas of stadia and infrastructure, marketing, accommodation, security and finances.

Reflecting information submitted

"The report reflects the information provided by the bidders along with further details obtained by independent research," said UEFA. "It is important to mention that UEFA did not request any further information from the bidders in case of unclear issues or missing documents (according to the bid regulations), and did not go for any site visits. This will be done in the next phase."

i read some of the proposals like Greece, Italy and country duo ]

i say italy is the favorites right now

but i think Greece can win it

b/c its so prepared for the events i mean the country and especially athens are so modernize and there is hope that hte game of soccer will be on the rise in Greece

but they need help and this new funding of stadiums will improve soccer

interesting poll i saw is that

43% of the Greek population said it would go to the games

34% of the italian population said it would go to the games

off course remember italy a much more populated country then us

but Greece will never have a shot at Euro final if it doesn't get in 2012 b/c by then they will become outdated and soccer may never truly grow in Greece

plus Italy has hosted a recent soccer event

like the 1990 World cup

they are bitching at the fact taht they handled everything wrong they built inadequate stadiums and now they are paying it b/c they have had recent low attendance rates in Serie A b/c there stadia are uninhabitanful

people would rather watch the games at home

i hope we do get it but i don't know to tell u the truth

the key here is how we host the 2007 uefa C.L. final

we need to impress

Archived