Kalmar FF - 6 163   92 443         

GIF Sundsvall - 5 050   75 749        

Halmstads BK - 4 675   70 119        

Gefle IF FF - 4 258   63 877        

Atvidabergs FF 3 801   57 019        

BK Hacken - 3 565   53 480        

Falkenbergs FF - 3 557   53 362          

in total: 2 392 098

Guys, I think the biggest reason for the low attendances out of the top-flight teams is that our top teams are unproportionally big in comparison to our population. The top flight teams are supported all over Greece and that has caused a big harm to the local football teams, while the big clubs have benefited from this and been given the opportunity to grow.

In Sweden, the teams are only supported in the respective cities or the nearby cities without any football teams in the higher divisions. The effects of this are both positive and negative. On the bright side, the teams in the league are quite equal and the last 10 championships have actually been won by seven different teams. The negative outcome is that the lack of consistency has prevented any team from growing to the size of the greek top-flight clubs. I'm not saying that the one thing is better than the other, I myself support PAOK living about 2 hours from Thessaloniki.

Edited by PAOKSWEDEN

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only notable Swedish name I can think of is Malmo (to a much lesser extent, AIK), so I can see your point. Which would you rather have? I remember on a recent trip to Volos seeing PAOK graffiti; is that something that should bother me? I think the team has been pretty open about wanting to increase its visibility and fan base.

Thanks PAOKSWEDEN and Teke.

Off corse there are differences between Holland and Greece. But cities like Komotini, Xanthi and Veria have about 66K inhabitants and then there are de villages around. And Thessaloniki not far away. One of my cousins always goes to those matches and the stadiums are always filled with PAOKtsides from everywhere. Tickets are about 10-15 euro. Greeks are considered to be great and passionate fans here in Holland. Everywhere they go they do not outnumber the homebased fans but their singing sounds double so loud. And than still > 2K spectators???

Ioannina 111K inhabitants. Atromitos are in Athens. Maybe it is the economic crisis. Or the subscrivers to NOVA.

Of topic: Where from Greece are your roots PAOKSWEDEN? Mine are from Kilkis but when I am in Greece I am in Chalkidiki. One hour drive from Toumba.

Pash// Actually, I don't know what I prefer. I want PAOK to be a club as big as possible and to have a league that can attract players like Berbatov, Gilberto Silva, Rivaldo etc, but at the same time I want a more even league where more teams compete about the title. I think the Belgian league is a suitable role model for us. The population is similar to Greece's.

I myself get amazed when I see PAOK graffiti and syndesmous in places outside of Thessaloniki, since I've never experienced the same in Sweden. The problem with supporters that support the big teams outside their own cities is that many of them don't attend the matches of their local teams and that they don't have the possibilities to attend the matches of their supported teams as the supporters living in example Thessaloniki or Athens. This causes a big problem for the greek football, as this phenomenon generates less money for the clubs. The biggest losers though isn't the big clubs but the smaller clubs, like those we can see struggle to get decent attendances on their matches in the Super League. The huge interest in football is there around them, but it is directed to the big-5 of Greece.

All this being said, don't take offense by this guys. I am involved in this myself by supporting and spending money on PAOK instead of my local team, Doxa dramas, but if half of the clubs in the league can't manage to have an attendance higher than 2k I think we have a big problem, especially as the interest in football is huge in Greece.

I should add though, this problem has become visible under the crisis that we've had for the last five-six years and I can understand that people think more about if it's worth to spend money on football, and especially on the "small" teams. In a few years, when we've come out of the crisis, this might not be a problem anymore but let's see and just hope for the best :)

Dutch Eagle// 

My roots are from Drama and that's where I spend my summers. About 1 hour to get to the beaches of Nea Peramos.

greeks are apathetic.....that's why the crowds are so low...

not sure how big the interest in football is.....its a tribal primitive passion by a few...but not a sport that is really understood or loved by the greater population...

the 5000 v Italy for a friendly a few years ago, is a very symbolic pointer as to how much interest there is in football....

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting column on inpaok.com today about Kace's disappearance the last few games ... Although they say it has nothing at all to do with rejecting our contract offers, I can't help but think it has a little bit to play in the decision, if you think Charisis and Cimirot are going to be your midfield anchors next season, why not play them more? 

Kace got his fourth yellow today and therefore will be suspended for one game.

Other than in most civilised countries it won't be the next game but one of the next four upcoming games, not being the Xanthi away-game as this is a game of an earlier matchday.

• 2 weeks later...