Phantis Forums

PAE PAOK General News (2015-2016)

Blackhawk

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw that Darwin Olympic lost 1-6 in the same FFA Cup.

I presume that they are from Greek origin metanastes too as Michael Tsounias scored their only goal.

What is the level of those clubs? (as I don't have a clue)

And are there more "Greek" clubs down under?

I know there is in Sweden also a Greek club: Akropolis IF (btw: aren't there any Swedish Greeks on this forum? There should be though as I know lot of Greeks from Kilkis, where my father comes from, went up North. But have not seen anyone yet)

Have not heard from other countries.

Welcome PAOKSWEDEN!

And finally someone from Sweden.

Welcome PAOKSWEDEN!

And finally someone from Sweden.

Was anyone able to answer your question about Greek clubs down under Dutch? If not I'd be happy to list them

EDIT: 

Had some spare time so I've whipped this up.

In Australia's national competition that ran from 1977 to 2004 (National Soccer League), most clubs were of ethnic background, Greek, Italian, Croatian, Hungarian etc. Greek clubs that played in this competition came from the cities of, Melbourne (where you have the largest Greek population outside of cities Athens and Thessaloniki) Sydney and Adelaide.

Melbourne:

South Melbourne Hellas Est 1959- Still the countries most successful ever club. 4X NSL Champions, 1 Oceanic Champions League Title and an appearance in the FIFA Club World Cup (where they played Manchester United).

Heidelberg United Est 1958- Formed by Makedones mostly from Florina, 2X NSL runner's up

Sydney:

Sydney Olympic Est 1957 - 2x NSL Champions

Adelaide:

West Adelaide Hellas Est 1962 - 1 NSL championship

The folding of the NSL started up a new national league (The A League) where clubs of ethnic background were not permitted (at least the more stigmatised ethnicities like Greeks, Italians and Croatians) entry and mostly brand new clubs were born. The Greek clubs mentioned have since played in their domestic leagues in the states of Victoria (Melbourne), New South Wales (Sydney) and South Australia (Adelaide). 

Seeing as the A League does not have a second tier competition the domestic league, the NPL (National Premier League) is run within each of Australia's states and territories. This is where you'll find many more Greek clubs like the one which you saw in Darwin Olympic who play in the Northern Territory. Domestically clubs and players of ethnic background still dominate, this is why you see players with Greek, Italian, Croatian last names running around in Australian shirts. However not as many as before when the NSL was running.

The NPL is a semi-professional level however the big Greek clubs like South Melbourne and West Adelaide still have aspirations of gaining entry into the A League. The two states who's NPL are the nation's strongest in my opinion would be New South Wales and Victoria. I'll now quickly list as many Greek NPL clubs as I know, there are many, many more clubs playing in several other competitions below the NPL also.

Victoria:

Bentleigh Greens (Cypriot)

Northcote City

Oakleigh Cannons

Port Melbourne

South Melbourne

Heidelberg

New South Wales:

Sydney Olympic

Hamilton Olympic

South Australia:

Adelaide Comets

Adelaide Olympic

West Adelaide Hellas

Adelaide Cobras (Cypriot, play in another division below)

Western Australia:

Floreat Athena

Northern Territory:

Darwin Olympic

Hellenic Athletic

Queensland:

Olympic FC

ACT:

Canberra Olympic

Tasmania:

Olympia FC

Edited by Pontos
  • Like it 3

Perhaps I've put in a whole lot more information than you were expecting haha. I myself played at semi-pro NPL level but wasn't good enough/determined enough to be anymore than a fringe player. I now play for a smaller Pontian team in a less competitive league

Edited by Pontos
  • Like it 2

Costa has an ankle fracture and will miss 3 months. He is pretty much done with PAOK as his contract expires in June 2016. On top of that Vitor is not 100% and Malezas has some injury issues as well.

We now have a very serious problems in the CB position. Transfer move(s) in January is a must. Also recalling Poggouras from the Veroia loan makes sense.

So we'll basically just have him for the end stages of the league + the playoffs, assuming we make it that far. Meaning whoever we get to reinforce ourselves, will have to be someone who is starter-level.

Who does this leave us? We have only two "real" CBs (Vitor +Malezas), both of whom you say are injured. Tzavellas is healthy and almost exclusively plays there, which is something. Tziolis is very poor as a CB, and Skondras isn't really any better in that position. We'll struggle to maintain the manpower needed for Tudor's favored 3-4-2-1 formation.

Do we have anyone good in the youth teams who might be able to step up?

I'll update Pontos list for the Victorian [Melbourne] clubs through all the divisions

Bentleigh Greens (Cypriot) current NPL Victoria champions and coached by our own John Anastasiadis

Northcote City [iraklis]

Oakleigh Cannons

Port Melbourne

South Melbourne

Heidelberg United

Altone East [PAOK]

Bayside Argonauts

Western Suburbs

Clifton Hill

Malvern City

Morwell Pegasus

South Springvale [ARIS]

Yarraville FC

Kingston City [Oly...ftoo]

Brunswick City

those are the ones I have played against at various levels. there are also other clubs that have a whole lot of greeks playing for them but aren't greek clubs. My kids play for a club that is packed full of greek kids.

• Like it 1

You guys may already know this but while I was in Thessaloniki I learnt a lot about what the PAOK hooligans stand for.

Ever since the junta they have all had a complex with authority, they hate any form of it, police, referees, government. They are almost left wing radicals, anarchists, meaning they are pro-refugees to my surprise. Their love for Pablo Garcia went beyond his performance on the park, Garcia is apparently a communist and shares the similar political views as the fans. They all see him as one of them which is why they caused a ruckus after his dismissal. They discourage capitalism, money spending for no reason. They know their ideology and want they want makes it harder for the club to be successful but they would rather the club keep its integrity than abandon what they stand for to win trophies.

Edited by Pontos

You guys may already know this but while I was in Thessaloniki I learnt a lot about what the PAOK hooligans stand for.

Ever since the junta they have all had a complex with authority, they hate any form of it, police, referees, government. They are almost left wing radicals, anarchists, meaning they are pro-refugees to my surprise. Their love for Pablo Garcia went beyond his performance on the park, Garcia is apparently a communist and shares the similar political views as the fans. They all see him as one of them which is why they caused a ruckus after his dismissal. They discourage capitalism, money spending for no reason. They know their ideology and want they want makes it harder for the club to be successful but they would rather the club keep its integrity than abandon what they stand for to win trophies.

sounds like a very typical Greek institution...

I fail to see how this differs from any other part of modern greek life?

sounds like a very typical Greek institution...

I fail to see how this differs from any other part of modern greek life?

Just calling it as I saw it Sheriff. While I had an idea that this was going on in Greece I wasn't totally aware of some specifics. This was my first time back in Greece as an adult so I saw a lot of things I wouldn't have understood when I first visited.

The thing is, those PAOK fans are entitled to their view on life.  But they aren't entitled to push the club in the direction they want.  They don't own the club.  They think they do, but they don't.  They don't or rather shouldn't think they speak for and represent all PAOK fans.  In summary, they are a bunch of tossers and I would like nothing more than if they stopped supporting PAOK, as unrealistic as that is.  If they want to, they could always make a new club based on the principles they value.

Ever since the junta they have all had a complex with authority, they hate any form of it, police, referees, government.

That pretty much sums up all organized fans in Greece from all the teams. It's basically a reflection of Greek society in general. What I like about PAOK organized fans is the difference that they are all independent clubs, even including the pro-religious one Xrysos Dikefalos. There is no PAOK fan club such as Super 3 (Aris) or Aftonomi 10 (Pontoii Iraklis) that act in dictatorship fashion.

I agree. The fan clubs should stick to supporting the team by attending games and not trying to run the team. The problem is that in the past the various owners were subsidizing those clubs to keep them in line, and when the money stopped flowing they turned on the team.

One day after the bad result against Panaitolikos, the players and coaching staff got together for team dinner during which Klaus and Rodrigues were trolling Tudor after he called the players ballerina's following the game.

athanasiadis_rodrigues.jpg

• Like it 1