Phantis Forums

Nations League - Game #5 - Greece V. Finland (Olympic Stadium, Athens) - November 15, 2018

Argy

Guys we knew the Nations League was lost... Let’s not start blaming the coach after this game... the guy needs time to adjust and figure out which players he wants and which he doesn’t want.. I truly believe the coach will start implementing his style and new young players.. I’m still very optimistic with this new coach and will not judge him until after the Euro campaign.. I think we will start to slowly see changes..

This team knew what they needed before the match and still played with no intensity nor took any real risks. The saddest part is my father follows Ipswich town who is last in championship. I asked him besides Manolas and Sokratis if he would want any of the players on a last place english championship team... he said he couldnt think of anyone who would improve their team. This team is a train wreck. 

• Like it 1

2 minutes ago, Chris Tsamados said:

60% possession and 2 shots on target in 93 minutes,. says it all really. Finland were worse than shite!

There's no link between midfield and attack. Mitroglou is dull and one dimensional, but he gets no service, so he can't be blamed. Not sure if we would do much better with a sharper striker.

Attacking midfield is simply very low quality. 

1 minute ago, J1078 said:

It took an own goal for us to score...?‍♂️

That’s what I was thinking. We need to work on our finishing and headers towards goals. It’s like we rely on just set pieces to score. It’s disgusting for a team like ours. We actually do have talented players. It’s just that we can’t finish. Mitroglou is inconsistent in this aspect aswell. Something we need to improve on fast. 

Also not to mention our midfield. There is no attacking mindset. Hopefully Galanopoulos plays in the future. We need something.

Just now, Chris Tsamados said:

60% possession and 2 shots on target in 93 minutes,. says it all really. Finland were worse than shite!

Unfortunately we just lack aggression and the know how to constuct a goal or even an attempt on goal. 

The coach needs to tell the players to stop with the endless back passes and also get someone who can take on and beat a player. 

Finland were garbage no shots on target and Touminen missed a couple great chances. Greece should have won this group but Skibbe screwed us up with the game in Finland.

1 hour ago, Blackhawk said:

Guaranteed there will more fans at the games in Crete or anywhere else in Greece for that matter. The only problem is the pitch in Crete judging from yesterday's game by PAOK. It's in horrible shape.

yeah I think even thessaloniki. Athens has become very left wing and a lot of Greeks don't want to be known as supporting Greece and being patriotic because they're scared of being labelled fascist. Rest of Greece I don't think gives a hoot.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Chris Tsamados said:

Unfortunately we just lack aggression and the know how to constuct a goal or even an attempt on goal. 

The coach needs to tell the players to stop with the endless back passes and also get someone who can take on and beat a player. 

You can’t have both Zeca and Kourbelis in the same midfield for starters. You need someone who is a bit more attacking. Mantalos would be good there. 

Just now, GreekLunatic said:

play some youth against Estonia. Play bouzoukis from pao tsimikas from oly, Play kolouris  and mitro  up front. Try something new coach giati if we keep playing this xalia u will be out of a job soon

He would of played some of those players if they weren’t in the U21 tournament right now.. He said it..

I guess I'm just not as upset as you guys because I'd already given up on winning the group. This win represents progress. Vlachodimos kept a clean sheet in his debut, the lineup is already way different than Skibbe, things will only get better. 

• Like it 3

Overall I liked the way we played though. Sokratis post. Mitro had a great chance first minutes I think. Toro header wide. Koulouris header on target should've used feet instead of head and would've been a goal. Could have been easily 2-0 or more.

1 hour ago, Argy said:

There's no link between midfield and attack. Attacking midfield is simply very low quality. 

Which is why you play 2 up front..get the ball out wide to Toro or Koutris and launch cross after cross to mitroglou and koulouris. The extra mid is useless as we dont have the quality to construct play. Instead we preffered to play a training session of sideways and backwards..finland probably cant believe how easy that 2nd half was.

• Like it 3

Just now, Greekoz said:

Which is why you play 2 up front..get the ball out wide to Toro or Koutris and launch cross after cross to mitroglou and koulouris. The extra mid is useless as we dont have the quality to construct play. Instead we preffered to play a training session of sideways and backwards..finland probably cant believe how easy that 2nd half was.

I agree. 

6 minutes ago, J1078 said:

Guys we knew the Nations League was lost... Let’s not start blaming the coach after this game... the guy needs time to adjust and figure out which players he wants and which he doesn’t want.. I truly believe the coach will start implementing his style and new young players.. I’m still very optimistic with this new coach and will not judge him until after the Euro campaign.. I think we will start to slowly see changes..

You are right, but leaving out Lazaros and Fetfa was a sin. He was left with no other attacking player than impotent Bakaseta to sub on in the last few minutes. Bakasetas is always guaranteed to suck. 

I don't want to stress on Fetfa, and people on these boards have made solid arguments against him being frail and having no finish, but I don't care, with 10 minutes left he could change the pace of the game 100x better than Bakasetas. 

• Like it 2

today we were the better team and if we played the way we played today whole campaign we'd probably be top of the group. sucks that we are out but most of us didn't think we'd do it. it was a long shot. it was more to see a glimpse of ange's tactics. It's an improvement. he just needs to up the wing play and i'm confident he will since he already improved the squad with vlacho and siovas in his first game.

koutris looked great out there too was impressed we have some nice depth at lb. would be great to get holebas back for one last campaign dude is on fiiiiire this season one of the best LB's in PL

• Like it 1

Overall it was good to get a win. We dominated the possession but in the last 3rd the team is not crisp enough.

Good to get a clean sheet again as well, zero shots on goal for Finland. Siovas was steady coming in for Manolas.

Torosidis played well beautiful crosses into the box on many occasions, the guy plays with such passion.

Zeca was winning so many 50/50 balls and his work rate is incredible game in and game out

Mantalos and Pelkas most disappointing players overall.

We need more from Fortounis he can be a game changer with his offensive skills but some matches he disappears.

11 minutes ago, Soprano76 said:

So who do you all think is a better long term option: Koutris or Tsimikas?

they're pretty equal. koutris seems to make less defensive mistakes but tsimikas has more attacking flair. in form staf I like better than both though and holebas the most.

Edited by georgelaz

Positives:

Vlahodimos played well; he is by far the best golie we have with the ball on his feet.

I liked Kourtis; watched him first time but played well, husled, good crosses.

Siovas looks good; better than K Pap.

Fortounis (in form), sokratis & zeka (for what he does) played well.

Toro showed that he has the quality no other RB has.

Negatives:

Mantalos, Mantalos, Mantalos

We need wingers; add Limnios and Xatzigiovanis like yesterday.

Edited by PaoOle
  • Like it 1