Phantis Forums

Greece Qualifying Chances.....

J1078

Our chances are now infinitesimal.

It is distressing that for the time being Markari?n seems not to understand (yet) the necessity of us concentrating on defending first of all. I think that was mainly the cause of our recent losses. Even against Poland we didnt concentrate on defense, only we had three defensive-minded players on the pitch (Tziolis, Katsouranis, Tachtsidis). We could have won that match I think with less invested energy, if we would have been concentrating on defense and counterattacks. So we needed performances of high quality (by Katsouranis, Kapino and Moras, to a lesser extent by Tziolis, Vyntra and Tavlaridis) to secure the draw. We must go back to our former system unless we dont want more problems against Romania, NI & Co.

Edited by La Mendel
  • Like it 1

The following conclusions can be drawn:

1. We must go back to our "Defending First" system.

2. We must find (in fact, in some of the cases recall) players who can usefully contribute to our production, also players who work hard and arent afraid of struggling and fighting. I mean players like Maniatis, K. Papadopoulos, Samaras, Tzavellas, Tziolis, and possibly Katsouranis and Salpingidis.

3. The younger and "talented" players can be used too, but only as a cog in this system, I mean they can undoubtedly perform certain roles in our team (we have seen that in the World Cup - for example Kone was arguably our best midfielder then, Samaris scored against Ivory Coast etc. etc.), but now they cant play first fiddle.

4. We should seek wingers who can play a part in our defending too. Santos gave in fact much chances to Ninis (Euro 2012...), but he couldnt perform well (he was among our worst performers in the first half against Poland/Germany). Fetfatzidis too was used by Santos, and he had good performances (two goals against Malta in 2011, production against Canada, his performance against Portugal just before the World Cup), but he couldnt manage to play well three or more times in a row. Eventually Salpingidis got his place back. We should find players like him and Samaras (the latter is only 30) or recall Samaras. These new guys who we say lately playing on the wings (Kolovos Fountas Gianniotas) are players like Fetfatzidis or Fortounis.

5. We should get a coach like Michel.

Forget qualifying, its over. Hungary needs 1 win in 4 games and we could not catch them, no matter if we win all four games. They will win at least 1 time.

Use these last two games to build steam for world cup qualifying. Establish a TEAM. Find the right pieces to the puzzle. 

Start from defense, then 2 DM's, and go from there. 

• 3 weeks later...

^smash Hungary? Faroe beat us twice, what makes you think we will beat Finland, Romania, Ireland and Hungary when we can't even beat the Faroe Islands?? As much as this hurts to say I don't see us getting even one win this entire campaign.

• 1 month later...

We will go 4 for 4 and finish 3rd, Greece loves going back door ;).  I get it we lost to the Faroe Islands but anything is possible. Had we gotten all 6 points vs the Fisherman we are 3 pts back and at least have a realistic shot at the playoffs. Anyways the players know we are all but done, maybe they play loose and pull it off. We have seen us pull off some s%$#! many times when we are down in the dumps. 

Unfortunately as of right now this campaign is over for us, the only way I will start to have some hope and get excited is by some miraculous turn of events where we win against Finland and Romania and Hungary lose there next two matches only then will I say we might pull this off but for now even if we beat Finland and Hungary lose there is still almost no chance of qualification. The only thing I'm looking for today is for us to start playing some good soccer and start winning and building confidence again.

Not only will we beat these group teams, we will qualify for Russia, finish top eight in world cup semis and get to top ten world ranking again. Mitro to score many goals and be ranked with James Rodriguez. Go Hellas!! 

• 3 weeks later...

^i agree with most of the things you are saying, especially the part where the national team needs to be for established players that are doing something right with there club team. But let's analyze something for a second, take a look at our group even though we had s%$#! players playing are you telling me our s%$#! players are not better then the Faroe island players? Or Hungary or Finland or even NI? Of course they are which leaves me to believe that there was something else in the middle of this s%$#! campaign. Now don't get me wrong yes we have taken huge steps back and right now it looks like we will never win another game and we have a lot of work to do. But don't you guys agree at all that something else played a huge roll in our disasterous campaign? Our line up had unproven and many s%$#! players enter but even so we still should have been better then the teams we faced. we still have good players, in fact we still have better players then any other team in our euro group. So I believe the problem is deeper then JUST the players that caused this horrible campaign.

• 1 year later...

dont mind the expansion, but can't say that im thrilled with drawn matches going straight to pens. Although nothing is confirmed, ive read that even knockout games that end in a draw will go directly to a shoot-out. Not the way football is, especially knockout tournaments. Draws are part of the game. It's like they are trying to make it more appealing to the non-football fan? 
I would think the world cup has a big enough following/revenue as it is, no need to drastically alter the game to attract more fans/sponsors. 

I believe 48 is too much but technically, 24 team euro was good coz teams like ours, after a successfull Era , will take lots of time to rejoin a world cup. Look at Sweden/Bulgaria/Romania for example in the 1980-1990s era.Look at them now. Either you like it or not, this is how we are probably going to end up if things dont change.

• Like it 1

3 hours ago, NickTheGreek said:

They want China and the weak Arab countries there at all costs. Will be a million times worse than the 24 team Euro. Sad thing is they'll view it as a success as it's bringing in the dollars.

That`s exactly it.

• Like it 1