Phantis Forums

CL - Olympiakos' group

Irlandos

This is about the best we could hope for to be honest. If the team could only get their s#%t togheter we can advance to the next stage. We most probably will come home without points from London. The other games are more open. The games against Standard should be at least 4 point for us :box:

A group of posibilities but Kokkalis need to act NOW and get the 2-3 players that we are missing.1st place looks locked by Arsenal and the 2nd spot will be the one that all the other 3 teams will fight over.We could finish second or dead last if not carefull so no reason for over confidence statements.It could have been a LOT worse.

This is the schedule of the games:

My reaction to the draw is this, I'm very pleased!

It could have been worse, thankfully Olympiakos did not have to face a "group of death". Arsenal will no doubt be our toughest test, Alkmaar and Standard are very fast teams who tends to play sheer tight defense. Nothing will come easy in this group.

The other English teams would've been a harder challenge i believe. We can obviously lose to all the teams in the group. But there's also a strong possibility that we can win all our home games. If we get up to the standard of a few years back in tsampions ligk :gr:

AZ has been strong for a while and there is a reason they won the Eredivisie and had a higher coefficient than OSFP. They could be very tricky if not difficult.

I think Arsenal will be tougher than Manchester United this year. But still, Arsenal always have been vulnerable to Greek teams.

Liege had some great form in UEFA last year and won a group with Sevilla/Stuttgart/Everton.....They are probably also liking this draw quite a bit. But the CL is not UEFA, matches are home and away more taken seriously and the top 2 not top 3 go through, so theres less room for erro.

Overall, the 2nd best possible draw. The first was an incredibly obvious

Sevilla-Rangers-Stuttgart-Unirea, which if OSFP got would leave out Stutgart and simply finish higher than Unirea and Rangers for a spot in the 16.

Rangers as a 2nd seed is interesting, and that was entirely because of the new system, which cut out a chunk of the middle teams such as PAO, Sporting, Shaxtar, Celtic by cannibalizing them with other middle teams, and allocating the spots to the welfare-draw.

If Sporting, PAO, Celtic, Dontesk had reasonable seeded draws the assumption is highly likely they would qualify (because they do every year and are at the level to play at least participate that group stage tournament lets be honest), the CL groups would have been even more impressive in terms of competition.

We could have even seen groups like Chelsea Real Juve Atletico, all through the tournaments earned seedings. That is Champions League right there. A lot of other shifts would have happened and it would have easily been the most intense CL to date. It already looks like one - and thats WITH the welfare spots. Without it could be even more insanely competiive seeing games in the Group rounds you'd expect to see in playoff stages...

Actually we are pretty even with Rangers on Coefficient.. dont forget.. they had a huge year that year they eliminated us.. they went to the finals... Celtic had 16.250 coefficient less

Rangers only had 1.1230 coefficient points less then we did...

Which means.. if we qualified..... we would of been in pt 2

:(

Actually we are pretty even with Rangers on Coefficient.. dont forget.. they had a huge year that year they eliminated us.. they went to the finals... Celtic had 16.250 coefficient less

Rangers only had 1.1230 coefficient points less then we did...

Which means.. if we qualified..... we would of been in pt 2

:(

yeah, if we did. But in the regular competion favouring system we would have still ended up in pot 3 as Sporting/Shaxtar would have placed above us becuase we'd all make it through with fair seeding (as we always did)

Rangers are terrible, and Sevilla was awful in UEFA last year. Stuttgart will have a tough time with the Spaniards but I think we could see them taking that group. OSFP would have definitley gone through that one.

Maybe....

Maybe not...

Depends on which Oly shows up...

St-Etienne Oly or Benfica Oly

St Etienne Oly no longer exists.

Since last season Olympiakos have lost Djole, Leto, Belluschi, Kovacevic, and Antzas. Derbyshire and Torosidis are injured so it will take them a long time to get fit because they haven't had a pre-season either. That's a total of 7 players that they haven't got at their disposal. They've brought in Maresca and Mellberg but neither has impressed so far. For whatever reason Diogo is also not the player he was at the start of last season.

This is a shadow of last season's Olympiakos. This Olympiakos is at least 5 BIG players away from being as good as last years, and last years had major defensive weaknesses so imagine how much they'll struggle in Europe.

Today we learned that Mancini rejected Olympiakos. The next in line is Giovanni Dos Santos. Olympiakos fans should be praying that Petrov (Man City) is signed or Guittierez (Newcastle) because Dos Santos simply isn't good enough to play for Olympiakos.

To conlude, Olympiakos are weaker, they aren't going to bring in enough players, and the players coming in aren't Olympiakos material.

I hope I'm wrong but I can't see Olympiakos winning a game. Perhaps draws at home with Standard and AZ.

I think you might be a little exaggerating when you say that oly needs 5 players. I think they will be fine they just need some more games under them. all olympiakos needs is a left mid and nother player who can play both cf and mid but i dont no if that is going to happen with Kokalis taking forever to sign players

I hope you're right, but I think you've weakened significantly. Look at each player individually and then consider them collectively.

Nikopolidis: He wasn't great last year, this year he's a year older.

Torosidis: A top class right back, probably the best player in Greece if you consider which players could play for the biggest clubs. However he's been injured, hasn't had a pre-season and as a result is unlikely to replicate last season's form until later in the season.

Avraam: Has never been good enough for top European football and nothing has changed.

Mellberg: On paper he's certainly better than Antzas but he's seemed very slow in pre-season (particularly against Spurts)

K.Papadopoulos: A very talented youngster, but let's remember he is a youngster so he still has alot to learn.

Bravo: Has been solid but unspectacular and is slow for a full back.

Galletti: So far he certainly hasn't been the player he was last season. He seems slower and hasn't offered anything as an offensive force.

Ledesma: A slight improvement over Patsa.

Dudu: As good as he was last season

Leonardo and Domi: decent players

Maresca: Good technically but not athletic enough. He's not as good as Belluschi.

G.Papadopoulos: Decent youngster, won't cut it in Europe.

Zairi: Nothing compared to Leto or Djole

Mitroglou: Has been on good form.

Diogo: Has been terrible for months now.

Derbyshire: Has been injured and hasn't had a pre-season so he'll be much like Torosidis.

These are the 17 players that will be the core of Olympiakos' campaign. In my opinion they are not good enough collectively or individually to make an impact in Europe. To become a good European team Olympiakos need a quick defender to replace Avraam, a better holding midfielder than Ledesma, a left winger to replace Leto/Djole, a striker, and a goalkeeper. That's 5 players.

UEFA have used article 1C in chapter 10 to charge Arsenal's Eduardo following his blatant dive. If he is banned he'll miss the first 2 games, hence at home to Olympiakos. He's a great player for them (not that they don't have another 11 great players) but it's still a loss.

Just because Eduardo is out does not mean Olympiakos will have an easy time with Arsenal. That team is a "beast", loaded with great individual talent. Olympiakos history in England is never been pleasent I'm afraid. They will have to focus solely on AZ Alkmaar and Standard Liege to have any chance of progressing to the last 16.

We all know how "tricky" champions League games are... They are NO easy games and more importantly it depends on alot of factors..

In order for us to progress we need to be SOLID in the back as well as the midfeild... If we can do that we have a chance (a chance)

Archived