Phantis Forums

INTER- PANATHINAIKOS

athinaios

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well this game was rather boring, i guess its a decent result, but i wanted

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

OH MY GOD 1-0 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVERY SINGLE PLAYER ON THIS TEAM played a 10. THE EFFORT WAS AMAZING. HONESTLY, AMAZING. I KNEW WED FIGHT, BUT WOW. NEVER GIVE UP, BELEIF, AND IT PAID OFF.

SIMAO, SPYROPOULOS, GKOUMAS, GALINOVIC, ABSOLUTLEY AMAZING TODAY. MORE SO THAN THE REST WHO WERE ALL PERFECT 10s, AND THESE WERE ALL LIONS OUT THERE, EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Cyber, I tried to explain this to you. Galinovic is RELIABLE AS HELL, especially in Europe. ;)

Galinovic, save was world class.

Sariegui, goal vs Anorthosis, officially ERASED.

Mantzios - not perfect but hes off injury. 10.

Simao - this kid is the best young DM in Greece, and becoming one of the best young DM's in Europe too.

Spyropoulos......Bull, Lion, unstopable. Definitley not mediocre. Put him next to whoever and hed take what he wants.

Ten Cate - fantastic. He beat Mourinho. Yes.

Do not DARE talk about the next round already though. :angry:

Not to take anything away.... But Gali made 2 big mistakes (he does this when he has to come out and punch the ball) that didn't cost us. However, he's worth all the money by saving us late in the game.

Vyntra, for whom I rarely have something good to say, played great!!!! Bravo.

Karagounis could have been a little better, but this guy is the heart of the team and I can't blame him for not being his best.

I don't know if this is the greatest win for PAO away in Europe, but it's one for history!!!

Just hope we don't blow the last game against Ano.

Tonight we celebrate well.... Thanksgiving came 1 day early for us here in the US! :P

I just saw the goal again and Giannaros' jump was ridiculous. I don't want any more nonsense about his age. That was an impressive piece of athleticism. And great corner by Gabriel. I 'll give 1/3 of the goal to each of these guys. Though I must admit that Josu's touch to push it in was unbelievably casual and a few inches from the goalie, despite the fact that he had several metres of goalmouth to choose from. Btw, Ano have only lost to Inter so far and that was very narrow.

PS: From now on, anything less than 40,000 at every game is a disgrace. What else do we PAO fans want to support the team?

Inter - Panathinaikos 0-1

Let me write this again: Inter - Panathinaikos 0-1

I am so excited my hands shake as I write this.

I am a grown man now, but I still shake after such games as I did when I was 8 years old!

This Panathinaikos team now will make believers out of all the Murinhios of Europe. Murinhio said before the game that his team is aiming to win this European title while Panathinaikos is not. Therefore, he concluded, there is a vast difference between the two teams.

Well, I hope his shoes taste good because he has his whole foot in his mouth just about now.

This was as big a win for Panathinaikos as we've ever had. We beat Inter at Meazza, and we beat them good. Perfect tactics, great discipline, and immense concentration were the weapons on the field. Inter showed early on that they didn't have any solution for Panathinaikos' game. The best they could do was to lob the ball forward hoping one of their expensive stars will get lucky, but Ten Cate was ready with a delicious 3-4-3 that had the fullbacks fold back to make it 5-4-1 (Karagounis or Gabriel would fold back to midfield) that gave just about zero space to Inter.

If I were an Inter fan I would be furious at the Italians' game. Once Panathinaikos scored, Inter loaded the box with three tall Center Forwards and kept lobbing the ball in hopes they get lucky. That's not a sound way to play football, it's not a way to beat a determined Panathinaikos team, and it's definitely not the way to win the Champions League.

Everyone was perfect today.

Galinovic 8

He did have a couple of tense moments coming off his line, and muffing the ball once, but overall he did well to block a couple of dangerous shots, and he calmed the crowd with many timely exits in the countless lobs Inter rained in the box.

Nilsson 9

With three CBs Nilsson was finally able to play in the position where he enjoyed some freedom. He defended without errors, and worked himself down the line with authority all game long.

Spyropoulos 9

I was beginning to believe that Spyropoulos is not capable of good games, but he has come around in the last few matches. He almost had the perfect game defending and supporting the right wing on numerous occasions.

Vintra 9

Vintra was just about perfect coming off his line and getting to the ball before Andriano or Ibrahimovic could get to it.

Sariegi 10

I have been critical of Sariegi before, but today he was as good as I have ever seen him play. Defensively he was almost perfect, and he was on the right spot to push the ball in the net when it counted.

Gilberto 9

I hope the critics who questioned his value to Panathinaikos have some good tasting shoes too. He was excellent in midfield, closing down opponents, distributing the ball well, and calming down the game when necessary.

Simao 10

It's hard to believe Simao is only 20 years old. He was all over the midfield, cutting down opponents and distributing the ball perfectly.

Karagounis 7

He had his moments and he did well to hold the ball in midfield, especially in the first 20 minutes when it was critical. He did have a few errors in passing the ball, but his overall contribution was positive.

Gabriel 9

I am glad we did not waste Gabriel at RB! He was perfect holding the ball and moving forward all game long.

Mantzios 9

In retrospect I am glad we didn't buy Cruise or Pissaro (both were linked with Pao before). Mantzios did an amazing job holding the ball and allowing the rest of the team to develop in midfield. He didn't score but Sariegi did and that's just as good.

Goumas 10

I left Goumas for last because this must have been the most satisfying game of his career; and he has been through a lot of European wins in his long career. It was his header that was saved by the outstretched Julio Cesar before Sariegi booted it to the net, and it was his perfect defensive game that did not allow Inter players any hope of getting near scoring.

Ten Cate 10

I am tempted to revise my scale to give him a "12" but I think 10 is just as good. Ten Cate was perfect in preparing the team for the game, in fielding the perfect formation, and in managing the game.

We'll do the complaining about every little error later. For now I have declared a 3-day celebration at my home. You guys are all invited :tup:

I just saw the goal again and Giannaros' jump was ridiculous. I don't want any more nonsense about his age. That was an impressive piece of athleticism. And great corner by Gabriel. I 'll give 1/3 of the goal to each of these guys. Though I must admit that Josu's touch to push it in was unbelievably casual and a few inches from the goalie, despite the fact that he had several metres of goalmouth to choose from. Btw, Ano have only lost to Inter so far and that was very narrow.

PS: From now on, anything less than 40,000 at every game is a disgrace. What else do we PAO fans want to support the team?

This goal was fantastic for many reasons.

First the corner delivery on the perfect spot (who took the corner?), then a perfect "screen" by another Pao player who allowed Goumas to get to the ball unimpeded (was anyone able to see who the "screening" player was?). If this play was there by luck, we were very lucky today, but I suspect they haver worked this trick over and over in practice. Julio Cesar came up with an amazing save to deny Goumas, but Sariegi was there in the perfect spot.

Mourinho interview just ended:

i cant quote but ill summarize some points:

He congratulated PAO, and said they deserved to win. :tup:

He said PAO players fought incredible for the win, he didnt want to take anything away from that, he also congratulated the fans that came. PAO however, played for a tie and off a corner got a goal, and they fell 11 men back - I do not blame them.

Idiot Greek reporter:

Panathinaikos may finish in First place..

Mourinho- They may finish in Third Place. We are qualifyed and are between 1st or 2nd. PAO is between 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. I prefer my position.

and What am I thankful for this thanksgiving? PAO, and Werder too! :tup:

everyone was sayin that werder are a weak team. and thats why PAO beat them. Well. lets put it this way.

Werder drew twice against Ano and should of won both games. tons of chances missed.

They drew against Inter and should of won that game. Inter were down to 10 men and Werder's Rosengorb missed an opent net in the 86th.

They drew against PAO in OAKA with a goal that was a handball, and a second goal which was a stupid mistake by our defence and our coach who shoulda put a thrid CB liek he did in Inter.

They lost to Pao in germany in a game where Werder had 1 scoring chance and pao had 4.

So lets take it from pao's perspective.

We beat inter and Werder Away. We drew Werder like i said earlier in a game we should of won. (handball)

We lost to Inter at home in a game where inter had 2 chances scored two goals and we hit a post and missed a sitter by cleyton.

We lost to Ano, DESERVEDLY, in a game where, YES we scored an own goal, but we just plain didnt show up.

We should of had at least 10 points so far. too bad.

but we are 2nd and with a win and another miracle in germany, ( a draw) we will finish 1st in the group. WOW.

I havent watched the game yet, as I have just got home, so i will update my post in about 3 hours.

Im really HIGH!!!

Gabriel took the corner, Salpi with the "screen". Mourinho gave the Greek imbecile the treatment HTC gave to the Cypriots who were asking the most aggressive 'questions' at GSP. Apparently, it's a Greek thing, opting for ungentleman-like conduct after a big win. The sooner we get rid of those reporters the better for the game.

Today's results were perfect for Pao. The bad news is Anorthosi has a good chance of being eliminated even from UEFA if they don't win at OAKA. If Werder beats Inter at home they capture the UEFA spot. Inter is guaranteed one of the two top spots even with a loss at Inter.

No matter what - even if we lose to Anorthosi last game - we are guaranteed third place and we can reach as high as first.

Panathinaikos now needs a draw at home to capture one of the two spots that lead to the CL 16.

The bottom line is we are can be masters of our own destiny, and this feels good.

If Werder beats Inter at home they capture the UEFA spot.

Not going to happen.

Btw it would be a real shame not to have the goal up here :)!

And here's the YouTube version with the highlights (English commentators), which will probably be deleted soon:

FC Internazionale Milano reached the knockout phase of the UEFA Champions League despite losing at home to Panathinaikos FC to Jose Sarriegi's second-half strike.

Inter progress despite Panathinaikos loss

Vital victory

The Greek visitors, who survived a frantic spell of late Inter pressure unscathed, also lived to fight another day having moved into second place in Group B, after Sarriegi turned in from close range following a corner. The win put Panathinaikos a point behind the Italian champions and was accompanied by a 2-2 draw between Anorthosis Famagusta FC and Werder Bremen. Panathinaikos must now avoid defeat at home to Anorthosis in a fortnight to join Inter in the first knockout round.

Defence first

Inter found it hard work to get going, not least because Panathinaikos were happy to defend in numbers. The hosts' first attack broke down when Zlatan Ibrahimović raced on to a searching pass and looked up to see seven white shirts crowding out Adriano in Mario Galinović's area. Although set up in a cautious 5-1-3-1 formation Panathinaikos did threaten on the break, particularly from set-pieces. Gabriel's shot required a block from Marco Materazzi following the Greens' first corner and, from their second, Simao headed over having pounced on another failed clearance. Panathinaikos slowly began passing the ball around to effect and Gilberto shot disappointingly wide after combining well with the lively Gabriel.

Source + full article at uefa.com.

Now I 'm not sure this is the right time to discuss details but one thing is perfectly clear about this PAO side: they have the quality to attack but they can't do so freely because they don't have the huge defenders to cope with difficult situations on their own. So they have to adopt a more cautious approach in order to avoid conceding too many goals for the actual number of chances the opposition creates. Once we get two or maybe even one defender who will free the midfield and attacking players this team will offer some impressive football. And if we sign a good scorer who will improve our chances/goals ratio even better. The January window is close and some more money is coming in if PAO qualify. So, no excuses there, this is the time to proceed to the next level. Can you hear me Patera mas?

Athinaios asked the question earlier about the significance of finishing first or second.

The first knock-out round pairings are determined by means of a draw. The

first knockout round is played under the cup (knock-out) system, on a homeand-

away basis (two legs). The UEFA administration ensures that the

following principles are respected.

a) Clubs from the same association cannot be drawn against each other.

b ) The winners and runners-up of the same group cannot be drawn against

each other.

c) The group-winners cannot be drawn against each other.

d) The runners-up cannot be drawn against each other.

e) The runners-up must play the first leg at home.

UEFA regulations

As far as I am concerned it doesn't make any difference whether we finish first or second. Every single team among the 16 would be tough.

If we do finish second we'll get to debate about Roma, Chelsea, Sporting, ManU, Villareal, Arsenal, Porto, Atletico, Liverpool, Lyon, Bayern, Juventus, Real... I personally prefer Arsenal :P

But that's way ahead and we still have some business to finish at home in a couple of weeks. If we do make it, it will be an honor to reach the 16 and I hope for the best. The team looks like they found a balance and we've shown we can play with the best. I hope we put the days when we could be defeated by the worst behind us.

This is a nice ride. Let's finish it up next match day so we can really start dreaming.

wheres all the smack talkin from the anor fans?

I can't seem to remember us "talking smack". What I do remember is you guys calling us "lucky" and us defending our club. Funny though that now no one here is talking about PAO's luck to be in 2nd spot right now huh? Materazzi's goal against Ano was a clear foul, and Hunt blatantly dived to win the penalty today for Weder. Those 2 goals cost Ano 4 points, 4 points that would have already seen Ano qualified by now.

Also, what do you mean Weder deserved to win tonight because they had BIG chances? They had way more possession but not necessarily the bigger chances. A friend of mine used to work for a major betting company and the way they used to change the odds during a game was based on a system where the stats were measured based on the possibility of each shot resulting in a goal. There are 3 categories: "1/2 chance" which is very diff to score from. "Chance" which is a fair chance to score from. And "Close" which is an opportunity that should've resulted in a goal. Using this system, Ano had just as many "close" opportunities as Weder. Taher went around the keeper twice (once he was brought down, although it prob wasn't a pen because the defender also took the ball), and once the ball was taken off him at the last second. Katsavakis missed a header from 4 yards and in literally the last kick of the game Taher went through 1 on 1, he shot, the keeper saved and the rebound fell to Constantinou. From 3 yards out he missed the ball!?! This is an example of why we Ano fans get defensive. Because it's obvious you didn't see the game, yet you're keen to try and undermine us. I suppose that's just part of your fans' arrogance though (epitomized by the Greek reporter who tried to mock Mourinho :LOL: )

Anyway, before you get too excited and start running your mouths, let's just remember, this isn't quite over just yet. ;)

Idiot Greek reporter:

Panathinaikos may finish in First place..

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I watched the interview on goal4replay and couldn't believe the reporter actually said that. Mourinho should have given him a hastouki.

Great result.

Goumas = Wins and clean sheets.

Panathinaikos are through in the CL with a win or draw. Should they win, they will most probably have 1st place as I can't see Inter winning in Germany. The hastouki will be in Mourinho's face :D

Btw, even with a loss v. Anorthosis PAO are through to the UEFA Cup as Werder cannot catch them.

come on guys we beat inter and now we have to rag on anorthosis again?

theres a forum for that.

DUDE:

Im not saying Ano isnt a good team, I was just pointing out that Ano has recieved quite a few gift goals is why they were called lucky. It doesnt mean they didnt keep up on the pitch elsewhere, but those Inter goals were absolute Santa Claus delivery to poor children in Hungary type gifts man.

But, weather you are PAO, Greece, Ano, Man United, Brazil - no team wins a tournament without some luck along the way, and thats the truth. Football is very much a game with tides of luck too, thats just the sport. Theres a lot of room for luck, the unexpected and thats part of the magic of the game. Even great teams get lucky.

As for Werder, I am happy the Germans tied it up, and I really dont care "who deserved to win" because I saw the highlights and both teams had big chances. It was a bit of a nice "gift" for us too, that Werder kept a point afterall, because that game could have had a winner of the chances I saw.

We are 2/3 of the way there, and if we do beat Ano, what an amazing turnaround story. Its going to be a tough game, but PAO will have an even more packed OAKA there behind it thankfully, and a lot of confidence. I beleive we will do it, but absolutley nothing is decided yet for us.

It will be a shame if Ano finishes in last however. I hate Inter, but hopefully they will frustrate Werder and guarantee an UEFA Spot. As for 1st-2nd place of the group, I dont care. I dont see PAO going further than this 1 elimination round, the other teams are too strong, though its of course possible, with efforts like we saw last night. What is best is that if PAO qualify, then Greece league gets also points, and also PAO gets coeficient boost thats its needed, to make sure they stay seeded in draws.

Dude, say what you will about the rest but you don't wanna go to arrogance and press conferences. The Cypriot reporters barely asked a question after the Ano-PAO game - all they did was making rude comments disguised as 'questions' and all HTC did from a point on was smiling, presumably unable to believe that sthing like that could actually happen in the CL. So drop it and tell us how Ano have been playing quality football, have not been lucky at all and should have qualified already. Those are far more reasonable statements - and that says a lot.

Archived