Phantis Forums

Rangers v. Panathinaikos

Irlandos

who will go through?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. who will go through?

• Glesca Rangers
    • Panathinaikos

i dont think anyone can reasoably call for peseiros head..judging from our WRECK of a team the last two seasons he has done extremely well...i dont know why ppl would be complaining about a 0-0 tie in IBROX..now if we look like we did yesterday at LEOFORO next week, then mb some heads should turn and ppl should be pissed...as i see it, i think peseiro played it smart, we are a very difficult team to beat at home as are RANGERS...im sure if they came to leoforo and held a 0-0 they would be thrilled with the result..i respect your opinion FULLY Tsogali, but i have to disagree with u here..sure we didnt play great, but we didnt play badly...we held a tie vs a very on form team and played a fairly composed organized game...im sure we will see a more offensive team that puts on the pressure that we normally see next week, this was a tricky tie that we pulled off...we have to improve on the performance, but i think we are more then capable of beating rangers at home and now we get the chance to do so...

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Times of London has a good and balanced review of the game at http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle3366243.ece.

I think PAO did well when you consider that they were played in Ibrox and this Rangers team are no mugs. PAO should prevail easily in Athens and maintain the greek "hoodoo" over the Scots.

Nothing is over yet. I still think if Rangers manage to score in Greece then PAO will go out.

i dont think anyone can reasoably call for peseiros head..judging from our WRECK of a team the last two seasons he has done extremely well...i dont know why ppl would be complaining about a 0-0 tie in IBROX..now if we look like we did yesterday at LEOFORO next week, then mb some heads should turn and ppl should be pissed...as i see it, i think peseiro played it smart, we are a very difficult team to beat at home as are RANGERS...im sure if they came to leoforo and held a 0-0 they would be thrilled with the result..i respect your opinion FULLY Tsogali, but i have to disagree with u here..sure we didnt play great, but we didnt play badly...we held a tie vs a very on form team and played a fairly composed organized game...im sure we will see a more offensive team that puts on the pressure that we normally see next week, this was a tricky tie that we pulled off...we have to improve on the performance, but i think we are more then capable of beating rangers at home and now we get the chance to do so...

Ok let me ask you one thing . Which results allow PAO to move on in UEFA?

Asnwer only victory which is about 33,333% of the possible results.

An tie allong with goals send Rangers to the next round same as a loss.

So why did we have to put ourselves against the wall with only one possible result to lead us in the next round and not try to get a 66% in results that allow us to move on?

We will have much more pressure than Rangers since we can only advance with a Victory. And when you have pressure you make deffinitely more mistakes.

Re with ratings like that you would have thought PAO won 2-0!!!

Very lucky to escape with a draw, Super Mario was amazing! let's hope we see a different PAO in the next round.

Yeah I agree actually....Those ratings were way overdone......

On the defensive aspect, yeah they played pretty well...Morris, Galinovic were top performers....Morris especially had to put up with Rangers cheating and antics....

Offensively though they were bad.....he gave Postiga what an 8? He was garbage.

He lost 3/5 posessions with mistakes and lousy passes, made an horrid atempt at goal (from a great shooting position, right outside the area with space is actually pretty close) and had one nice dribble that he did nothing with...

Karagkounis did nothing offensively except win a good 2fouls...Ndoye played well and was unlucky not to score....Tziolis and Matos were wasting posessions shooting from up to 40 metres out..Vyntra too ( I laughed when he gave an attempt on goal from WAY out......- but get this he shot a low shot on the ground obviously it didnt make it too far :LOL: )

Defensively they did well, but making something from offense no they definitly did see any 9s, not even 8's, and even a 7 is overstating things....

As for Peseiro.....

"

Ok let me ask you one thing . Which results allow PAO to move on in UEFA?

Asnwer only victory which is about 33,333% of the possible results.

An tie allong with goals send Rangers to the next round same as a loss.

So why did we have to put ourselves against the wall with only one possible result to lead us in the next round and not try to get a 66% in results that allow us to move on?

We will have much more pressure than Rangers since we can only advance with a Victory. And when you have pressure you make deffinitely more mistakes.

That is poor logic. I mean I agree with your assessment that PAO will have almost all the pressure in the home game, but that doesn't mean they're in a bad position.

Using your 33-66 breakdown were true, you have to look at probability, not how many options there are and calculate odds from that. An extreme example: when I cross the street I can get hit by a car or not, so 2 possibilities. That doesn't translate to a 50-50 chance? OK, I jay-walk like crazy, but I think the odds of me getting hit are slim to none.

I think PAO played well for the draw, and gave themselves a chance to squeak out a win. I take back my comment on luck: none of the Rangers shots hit woodwork and very few missed the target altogether. The gk made the big stops. He's part of the team. To qualify a positive result as luck because the goalie plays great and saves his side's hide, makes no sense.

I'm confident about the return leg, kati 2-1. An early goal will force Rangers to open up, we'll get the second, then they'll claw for one late. That's the closest they'll get.

The Times of London has a good and balanced review of the game at http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle3366243.ece

I think PAO did well when you consider that they were played in Ibrox and this Rangers team are no mugs.  PAO should prevail easily in Athens and maintain the greek "hoodoo" over the Scots.

Nothing is over yet. I still think if Rangers manage to score in Greece then PAO will go out.
you mean score first....

if were already 2-0 up or 1-0 when they score.......still PAO would be favourites

I also think since its at home Peseiro will put in attacking players.....with Eki and Ivanschitz on the field there will more and better quality chances than the last game......

I think there is a confusing perception that "attacking players" means winning most of the time.

There is some truth to the fact that you increase your chances of scoring with more "offensive minded" players, but there is also the danger that the other team will have more chances of attacking if you can't stop them in midfield, and then the chances of loosing go up.

I read the game a bit differently than the others here. I think PAO played with 3 DMs because Rangers might be *that* dangerous. The fact that we looked like we were defending was because Rangers was doing a good job "turning" the ball around in midfield trying to find a weakness, not because we were waiting too far behind. Rangers did not give the ball away easily.

The coach decided it would be too dangerous to be pushing forward in numbers and opted to make sure Rangers could not move forward from midfield. Maybe he learned from loosing the UEFA cup final a few years ago by mindlessly pushing forward, and he is putting his good experience to good use.

The same game plan almost worked in Madrid, except there the key SS position was played by Romero who did a fantastic job folding back and springing forward when it was needed. Go back and watch that game and be amazed at the spacial awareness of Romero and his quick distribution. Against Rangers, Karagounis did not manage as well in this role. Maybe his style is such, maybe it was a bad day, maybe Rangers had studied our Madrid game, who knows.

Do I want to see us dominate every opponent away in Europe? Heck yeah! Do I feak out if we don't? Nah!

The one game we are all proud off was a monologue for the opponent. God closed his eyes, our goalkeeper "katevase ta rola", and we crossed midfield a handful of times. In the end: Donis to Warzycha 0-1.

I like our odds with a draw away and the decisive game at home. At this stage it is possible we'll lose the home game though. I have not seen Rangers in any other games, but I don't think we are that much better than they are to get too cocky.

This is a long season. Superleague and UEFA cup are 3/4 over and we are sitting pretty. Sometimes we need to stop looking at each tree and think of the forest.

I haven't watched the game. Probably won't be looking for a tape either because I read we didn't play well.

But, PAO has taken 1 HUGE step this season. Very much improved defense. I don't think it's an accident. I remember writing often last season about copping up lots of goals.

Rangers would be very happy today if the game had been played in Athens. ;)

Re with ratings like that you would have thought PAO won 2-0!!!

Very lucky to escape with a draw, Super Mario was amazing! let's hope we see a different PAO in the next round.

Yeah I agree actually....Those ratings were way overdone......

On the defensive aspect, yeah they played pretty well...Morris, Galinovic were top performers....Morris especially had to put up with Rangers cheating and antics....

Offensively though they were bad.....he gave Postiga what an 8? He was garbage.

He lost 3/5 posessions with mistakes and lousy passes, made an horrid atempt at goal (from a great shooting position, right outside the area with space is actually pretty close) and had one nice dribble that he did nothing with...

Karagkounis did nothing offensively except win a good 2fouls...Ndoye played well and was unlucky not to score....Tziolis and Matos were wasting posessions shooting from up to 40 metres out..Vyntra too ( I laughed when he gave an attempt on goal from WAY out......- but get this he shot a low shot on the ground obviously it didnt make it too far :LOL: )

Defensively they did well, but making something from offense no they definitly did see any 9s, not even 8's, and even a 7 is overstating things....

As for Peseiro.....

"

every game is a problem in Leoforo it seems lets be honest.

We just need a win, it can be the ugliest win in the world, but it will be good enough....Rangers will be happy with a tie and sitting back, we only really have trouble with teams that sit back completely....(Veroia, Ergotelis) but the nice thing about playing better opponents in Leoforos is that they will not sit back 11 men....

Scoring first is critical for us. I dont care if we have to dive, its Rangers, and they can have their own cheating medicine. Besides, I love it when they whine and cry like that ass of a journalist who was talking s*** about Athens, Leoforos, PAO and Greek football a few years ago.......whatever happened to that karagkiozi :LOL: ???

Apart from its historical charm, Leoforos is a horrible stadium.

It's small and perfect for teams defending. Once you put five defenders on defense, there is not much space for attackers to maneuver between them. It gets too crowded.

Id' love to know how close the lines are to the minimum requirement...

Archived