Phantis Forums

Footballing atmosphere for the Ethniki

Genome

Needs some work if there one game that sticks out for me was in wcg 98 greece vs denmark a jam packed oaka FISKA like the greeks would say a caldren when they walked on to the pitch the hairs on my back stood up , long story short they dominatedwith no result them the greek fans were restless and started firing up flares all around the stadium, and theref stop thegame it was glorious night bacame day intimadating to say the leist .

Bring back those days flares all over banners flags the kitchen sink if need be!!!!!!!!!

FORZA GRECO BOYS :gr: :gr:

To be fair, isn't it the same thing for any other country? I mean, you'll always have more vociferous (and sometimes violent) support for club teams as opposed to national teams. Simple fact is, for most hardcore fans, club comes before country; whether you're English, Italian, Greek, etc. Therefore, it doesn't really surprise me that they can't sell out OAKA. If they really want to sell out OAKA, do the logical things: 1) lower ticket prices and 2) advertize the game like crazy. I can guarantee that if the tickets are cheap enough and the game is hyped up enough, you'll get some of the "thyres" in there and the atmosphere will be hot.

One thing I would recommend however, is to rotate the venues for NT games. The support in Crete was excellent and I definitely think the NT would benefit from playing in varying venues (provided the pitch is acceptable). For instance, now that Toumba got the new pitch, they should be allowed to host a few qualifiers.

To be fair, isn't it the same thing for any other country? I

Nope, not in England and in most British teams. Germany seems to have a good fanbase.

Portugal are also doing well, but this is often due to their communities in European countries.

Now, as you rightly said, countries with strong Ultras culture struggle to bring in big numbers with their NT.

It was estimated about 35,000 at OAKA in the Greece - Bosnia match. Don't know if that filled up the stadium.

Thats it? OAKA has like 70 000 seats. It looked liek we had more than 35000. We defantly filled more than half the stadium.

To be fair, isn't it the same thing for any other country? I mean, you'll always have more vociferous (and sometimes violent) support for club teams as opposed to national teams. Simple fact is, for most hardcore fans, club comes before country; whether you're English, Italian, Greek, etc. Therefore, it doesn't really surprise me that they can't sell out OAKA. If they really want to sell out OAKA, do the logical things: 1) lower ticket prices and 2) advertize the game like crazy. I can guarantee that if the tickets are cheap enough and the game is hyped up enough, you'll get some of the "thyres" in there and the atmosphere will be hot.

One thing I would recommend however, is to rotate the venues for NT games. The support in Crete was excellent and I definitely think the NT would benefit from playing in varying venues (provided the pitch is acceptable). For instance, now that Toumba got the new pitch, they should be allowed to host a few qualifiers.

Sorry file but I disagree.

In most countries people are more passionate about their national team than their clubs. That's certainly the case in Britain, Ireland, Belgium, all the Asian countries, Australia, Africa, Italy, Portugal, etc. And I'll tell you why, it all stems from the media. People are stupid, they are sheep. They will do/believe what they are told to do/believe.

In England, for example, basketball is a non-entity, if England manage to make it to the Olympics or any big tournament and the team is half decent the media will advertise it like crazy and the whole country will go basketball mad!!! This happens in cricket for example, no one watches the s%$#! sport but when the Ashes are on the media advertises it like crazy and everyone goes nuts over it. Compare that with Greece... we were 1 day before the Greece vs Bosnia game and 80% of Sportime's coverage was dedicated to Olympiakos, PAO, etc. They spent an hour talking about each clubs training session and who played well in training and who followed an atomiko programma... WHO CARES GAMOTO!!!! Report on the Ethniki!!! So one reason our stadium only drew 30k is because of that.

Another reason is down to the mentality of the people, which again it could be argued that it's the media's fault. Everyone tries to be so liberal/European/Westernised or however else you want to label it. When we played Turkey at home the fans were booing their national anthem. So what happens... the commentators criticise the fans, the players turn to the fans and plead with them to stop... plead with them to stop??? YOU STAY FOCUSSED ON YOUR GAME KAI AFISE TOUS FILA8LOUS MALAKES SO YOU DON'T GET BATTERED 4-1!!! When we go there and they are booing, swearing and talking of massacres will their players feel so bad that they'll plead with the fans to calm down?? I'm a history and politics student and believe me when I tell you, you guys don't hear the half of what goes on in the political sphere between Greece & Turkey. Now I'm not saying sport and politics should be mixed (in the political sense) but it's only logical that hostility will exist. If you want to change that then Turkey has to make concessions in her political approach. "Insulting Turkishness" lands you in jail ffs whereas in Greece we have people that burn down the forests and shout s%$#! like GAMO TIN ELLAS, ZHTO ANTIFA!!! The point is the element of national pride had disappeared in Greece. The people try to be all liberal and accepting when we play Turkey, but when Olympiako play PAO everyone wants to kill eachother <_<

So, reason 1, because the media don't advertise enough, reason 2, because instead of harbouring a national unity we like to fight amongst ourselves.

Also, I have to say that rotating stadiums is not a good idea. Stick to 1 so the team has an edra. I would also like to mention that I was at the games in Crete and the support was not "great", it was crap. No one was chanting or singing and the stadium was only 70% full. If we start advertising the game properly then we could easily fill OAKA, if not then stick to the Karaiskaki.

One of the reasons that the stadium was not full,about 30000,is the price of the ticket.Ticket prise was 20(or 15.some say 20 other 15),30,50,80.Well I was having a discussion with some guys in Greece and told me that it was outrageous.For those that can not understand,in Greece the basic salary is about 670 euros(I know its unbelievable)

Now imagine that you are Greek and you want to go to the match.You have a wife ,a kid 15 years old and another one 12.The 12 year old will not pay.But how about the others?If they go to see the match in the petallo they will spent 60 euros,about 10% of the mans salary.And imagine if the woman is a housewife..

But you know Athens is a city that if you want to survive(very expensive)you must have 2 jobs.

At the other hand the other reason is Athens.4-5 million people,they are not all of them in that economic state..They don t care after a week of hard work to go and see the NT.They have other things in their mind.And have many,no,unlimited options to do something in the weekend.So they say:De gamietai kai i ethniki ena Savvato eho pou na treho tora...

If this game was in Herakleion,or Patra or Volos or Thessaloniki or In Melbourne,Sidney,Astoria,Stuttgart,The stadium would be full

Archived